Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Jul 2, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #151 of 1,165
Man, I miss the times when people were considering a 1000 Dollar DAP as crazy overpriced :triportsad:

(...and that is not so long ago)!

Hmmm....maybe it is just me, but to me this feels like a weird product category. Especially the fact that you have two (well, to be precise: four) different outputs instead of just having a switch between the two DACs.
A bit like a laptop that you can open from both sides and one is running Windows, the other Mac OS :ksc75smile:

By the way, I am pretty sure it would be possible to simulate the different types of sound of two (or more) different DAC chips just by using DSP. Wouldn't that be easier?

But I love the design of the SE200! It`s gorgeous!

Hi, thanks for yoru reply! Astell&Kern Futura is not a product line targeting at affordability, and its main goal is to explore new design concepts. If SE200 offers better performance and sound than AK240, which used to be more than $2,000, I will still hold my opinion that it is a good pricing strategy. AK120 used to be around $1,000 but yeah, it was 7 years ago. At 2013, iPhone5S launch price was around $800, and now iPhone 11 Pro Max is about $1300 with max-out capacity. I think it is also impossible for them to put on the same price tag as their 2013 product.

With 8-core cpu (should be Exynos 7 Octa 7420 on Galaxy S6) and the latest DAC/AMP circuits, I believe it will also power up some multi-driver iems easily.

As far as I know, it is impossible to implement the software switch you described with two completely standalone DAC+AMP circuits. Cayin N8 achieves half of it, using two types of AMP circuits but with the same DAC. Welcome to prove me wrong:)

It's not a bad idea to use DSP, but obviously Astell&Kern is a company that currently leading the portable music fashion and decided to do something new. Since they have made balanced output (more accurately, BTL output since the ground is not used, as well as 4.4mm standard), physical volume knob and dual dac almost an industry standard for flagship players, I would still love to see how their multi-dac implementation performs.

Meanwhile, I also admire their design! The new curve is sleek, and the ceramic backplate is good. They recently uploaded a video discussing their design on YouTube A&K official channel, take a look!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #153 of 1,165
Just got this and it’s FABULOUS. I got the “L” one. I have destroyed about 5-6 2.5’s in my time with Astell n Kerns. Finally a solution. This connector makes a stable connection and works flawlessly. Highly recommended for $120 USD.
Can you share your experience with the "L"; how does the additional bulk work for portability or is it for your desk? I was thinking of getting the straight one for my AK380Cu+AMP

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #154 of 1,165
There is no extra "bulk". Like they say on your exterior driver's mirror "sometimes objects are smaller than they appear". I got the right angle because frankly I'm a little chubby lol and I didn't want the straight connector going that far up my left side. My use is portable and my carrying case is on my belt right under my ever expanding ponch.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #155 of 1,165
How does this DAP handle Android streaming apps like Tidal or Qobuz? Will they stream bitperfect to the DAC like the MQS server streaming feature?
According to my experience with sp1000m, it's bit perfect for Tidal. I verified that by streaming Tidal(openapk) using usb output to mojo. The tricky thing is MQA - for usb output, it's the regular 2x unfolding. I cannot verify/tell how MQA is decoded internally in the dap though.

I'd assume it's still going to be bitperfect in new AK daps and qobuz output should be more straightforward than Tidal.

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #156 of 1,165
Almost ordered Kann Cube, but changed my mind and preordered SE 200. I hate to pay retail for old tech. I am expecting a DAP that sounds better than my Ibasso DX 220 w/Amp 8 and HiBy R 6 Pro.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #158 of 1,165
According to my experience with sp1000m, it's bit perfect for Tidal. I verified that by streaming Tidal(openapk) using usb output to mojo. The tricky thing is MQA - for usb output, it's the regular 2x unfolding. I cannot verify/tell how MQA is decoded internally in the dap though.

I'd assume it's still going to be bitperfect in new AK daps and qobuz output should be more straightforward than Tidal.

Thanks...after some research it seems this is standard practice for A&K so I would expect it to be the same with this DAP.

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #162 of 1,165
Has anyone heard this yet??

I decided that this time I want to finally go AK and I’m caught between the SR25 and this one - I know that they are completely different markets but if the audio is a big upgrade (especially with harder to drive ‘phones) then I’ll find the pocket space and deal with a less long lasting battery.

In the U.K. all the online hi res shops seem to be closing down and the US stores aren’t servicing us anymore so streaming (and offline listening) are becoming a bigger deal for me at the moment.

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #163 of 1,165
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #165 of 1,165
Interesting, based on that review, it seems that this DAP is around the performance of the SP1000 but with the choice of 2 different independent DACs that have their own tuning within the device. There is a level of customization that we don't see on other DAPs.

I would love to see other reviews as well, if the AKM chip sounds anywhere close to the SP1000, I would love to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back