Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Feb 24, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #542 of 652
After owning my SE180 for over a year, I finally felt it was time to try another module.
My go-to retailer loaned me their last SEM2, and wow… It’s amazing!
The smooth, musical, warm and energetic sound it produces, while still maintaining great detail, has impressed me immensely.
So much so that I went out and bought it. Very glad I jumped on it before SEM2 becomes impossible to find, what with the chips it uses no longer being made and all.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #543 of 652
After owning my SE180 for over a year, I finally felt it was time to try another module.
The smooth, musical, warm and energetic sound it produces, while still maintaining great detail, has impressed me immensely.
So much so that I went out and bought it. Very glad I jumped on it before SEM2 becomes impossible to find, what with the chips it uses no longer being made and all.
Maybe I’ll keep mine after all (I’ve only used it a couple of times and usually stick with SEM4)

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #544 of 652
Maybe I’ll keep mine after all (I’ve only used it a couple of times and usually stick with SEM4)
I have all of the modules and plan on keeping them. I like to rotate the modules along with my IEMs to provide some variety. One thing I will say after spending a good bit of time with all of the modules: I don’t think the SEM1 is inferior to the others - I still prefer it for some artists/songs. However, I can see how someone might have a favorite SEM if they want to keep only one.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #545 of 652
The SEM2 was the first new module for me too, and I was also very impressed. Of the four modules, the SEM2 sounds the most different to my ear.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #546 of 652
If you already have it, it's probably worth keeping! Maybe somewhere down the line you acquire a piece of gear that rocks with SEM2 more than SEM4 or any other!
You never know.
I have all of the modules and plan on keeping them. I like to rotate the modules along with my IEMs to provide some variety. One thing I will say after spending a good bit of time with all of the modules: I don’t think the SEM1 is inferior to the others - I still prefer it for some artists/songs. However, I can see how someone might have a favorite SEM if they want to keep only one.
I wonder why someone would get the SE180 if they're not interested in the modularity of the DAC. Unless they really love the sound of SEM1 I guess.
And I'll probably also rotate between both modules. I feel SEM1 is incredible for intense listening sessions where you want to completely break down a song, whereas SEM2 will probably be what I use for day-to-day listening. It's just so rich and relaxing.
The SEM2 was the first new module for me too, and I was also very impressed. Of the four modules, the SEM2 sounds the most different to my ear.
I haven't heard any of the others, but I'll take your word for it. Though I think that between SEM1 and SEM2 I've got the bases I want to cover pretty much covered.

Lastly, I want to add that I really do love how the SE180 lets you customize the sound ever so slightly. I view buying a DAP of such a pricetag as a somewhat long-term investment, and being able to tweak the sound to what I want at the time really gives it much more potential longevity as a device. For me, anyway.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #547 of 652
@JasonNYC Hey Jason,
I was just listening to my SE180 and paused my music for a moment as someone spoke to me.
When I unpaused, with the screen off and using the multi-fuction button on the side, I heard the loudest sound the DAP had ever produced.
I'm no stranger to it producing slight noise or crackle when unpausing the tracks, or even skipping over to the next song entirely.
But the noise unpausing produced this time was extraordinarily loud, several times the volume of the music I had on.
Loud enough to spook me upright and make me reflexively pull out my IEMs.

Naturally I find this quite concerning, and I was wondering if you have any input on the matter.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #548 of 652
Has anyone had any luck using the SE180 as a USB connected DAC to an iPad Pro? It works with Mac (as advertised) but doesn’t seem to recognize the iPad Pro. Wondering if anyone has found a way to make this work.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #549 of 652
Has anyone had any luck using the SE180 as a USB connected DAC to an iPad Pro? It works with Mac (as advertised) but doesn’t seem to recognize the iPad Pro. Wondering if anyone has found a way to make this work.

I could not get usb dac to work on my iPad Pro either.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #550 of 652
I could not get usb dac to work on my iPad Pro either.
I think I found a solution. And I think I know why (though I’m sorta guessing here). I have gotten it to work using the FiiO LT-TCI cable, which is a type C to type C USB data cable. It has arrows, suggesting (at least) that data flows primarily one direction. Who knows. But when I plug my ordinary Apple type C cable into each device, my ipad tries to draw a charge. And I cannot get it to work at all. So perhaps the cable matters. In any event, the cable works. BUT, it also seems to work best if you don’t connect the cable to the SE180 until you have connected it to the iPad first, then go into settings on the SE180 and open the settings for USB connection type. Then when you plug in the cable, the lower option will turn white, and you will be able to select DAC mode. Pain in the ass, but it works and of course sounds amazing. Good luck…

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #551 of 652
Hi folks, a QQ for SEM4 owners. What is the volume that you are listening at with gain off? I listen at 120 with EQ off. Some people saying that they liten max at 85 and is already loud. So it makes me think may be something is wrong with my device?

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #552 of 652
Hi folks, a QQ for SEM4 owners. What is the volume that you are listening at with gain off? I listen at 120 with EQ off. Some people saying that they liten max at 85 and is already loud. So it makes me think may be something is wrong with my device?
Volume required for a satisfactory listening experience varies between listeners but also greatly depends on the exact headphones you pair with it, seeing as different headphones require different amounts of power to produce volume.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #553 of 652
Listening with Etymotic Research ER4SR iems anywhere up to 85 or so, depending on the recording (CDs ripped to FLAC or higher res downloads.) The Etys are rated at 45ohm impedance/98dB sensitivity, 1mW. I use the 2.5 balanced input for them. No EQ, Normal AMP, default DAC filter, no DAR. About the same volume range with Grado SR325x headphones (38 ohm impedence, same sensitivity as ERs) using the 3.5 unbalanced input. These volumes are plenty loud for me.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #554 of 652
SEM4 is my go to module. I use Sennheiser IE900s, which have an 18 ohm impedance. Average listening volume is around 78, and I boost it to 90 or so if I want to rock out.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #555 of 652
I dont know why, but my average listening volume is 120 with gain and EQ off. I have Maestro SE IEM. Previosly ha Monarch MK2. So Iam thinking may be some thing is wrong with my SE180?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back