Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Apr 8, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #556 of 648
MedicineMan05 - I wonder if there is anyone (or possibly a dealer) with an SE180 in your area that you can try with your headphones to compare volumes? If not, is your player still in warranty? Would the volume be the same with a different SEM?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #557 of 648
I dont know why, but my average listening volume is 120 with gain and EQ off. I have Maestro SE IEM. Previosly ha Monarch MK2. So Iam thinking may be some thing is wrong with my SE180?
I suppose that I like to listen to lower volumes. My listening volumes on low gain with no EQ range from the low 30s to the low 40s on all the SEMs with the following IEMs: Sennheiser IE600, Moondrop S8, Thieaudio Monarch, Tangzu Zetian Wu Heyday. Being almost 60 years old, I think it is inevitable that I have some slight hearing loss. Still, I wouldn’t be able to tolerate a volume of 120. I am thinking that your SE180 must have a problem.

Apr 22, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #558 of 648
Anyone has any idea what the green icon/symbol represents?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230422_174655.jpg
    20230422_174655.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #565 of 648
I discovered something about the SE180 that perplexes me. All of the tracks on my SE180 have ReplayGain applied, and I save backup copies to the cloud after ReplayGain has been applied. I made some metadata changes to a few of the track backup copies on the cloud, and I then copied these edited tracks back over the original tracks on the SE180. I then noticed that these tracks no longer show as having ReplayGain applied on the SE180. I had assumed that the SE180 was making changes to the tracks’ metadata when ReplayGain was applied. If that is so, then the edited tracks should still show ReplayGain as applied after I copied them back to the SE180. I then used my metadata editing app to directly open some tracks on the SE180, and these tracks show blanks in all of the metadata fields relating to ReplayGain, even though they clearly show the green musical note on the SE180 that indicates that ReplayGain has been applied. How does the SE180 apply ReplayGain?

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #566 of 648
@JasonNYC any update on Roon Arc compatibility (and whether or not SE180 will be getting the Crimson UI)

May 13, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #567 of 648
One more reason why I love the SE180. Just got a pair of B&W PX8noise cancelling headphones. They were pretty bassy with the SEM4, so I switched to the SEM1. Very nice. One question for the group. I used a USB C to USB C cable. Sounds good, considering it’s running through the headphones’ onboard DAC. Any suggestions on how I can control the volume?

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #568 of 648
New to this forum, just got the SE180 with the SEM4. I'm loving it so far. I do have a question though. The sdcard media scan on mine takes forever and as I have nothing to compare, I have no idea if this is normal.

These are the cards I'm experimenting with:

Brand new SanDisc extreme pro UHS-1, U3, V30 512GB: Formatted ExFat. With around 150GB of music, this takes around 2 hours to scan!
Brand new Gigastone Extreme UHS-1 U3 V90: Takes around the same time with same music.

Put the same music onto the players local storage in the same folder structure, and it scans in a matter minutes.

Is this a problem with my cards (although same for 2 new cards seems odd) or is this normal?

Thanks for your input.

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #569 of 648
New to this forum, just got the SE180 with the SEM4. I'm loving it so far. I do have a question though. The sdcard media scan on mine takes forever and as I have nothing to compare, I have no idea if this is normal.

These are the cards I'm experimenting with:

Brand new SanDisc extreme pro UHS-1, U3, V30 512GB: Formatted ExFat. With around 150GB of music, this takes around 2 hours to scan!
Brand new Gigastone Extreme UHS-1 U3 V90: Takes around the same time with same music.

Put the same music onto the players local storage in the same folder structure, and it scans in a matter minutes.

Is this a problem with my cards (although same for 2 new cards seems odd) or is this normal?

Thanks for your input.
ozzBoz -
I am by no means an expert in this area, but I'll share my experience, also with the SE180 / SEM 4 combo. (Purchased 8/22)
+ I've used Samsung EVO Select, SanDisk Ultra and PNY 512gb cards. PNY Premier-X U3 is currently in player.
+My SD card is 68% filled - 315gb - and has 1,545 folders/12,987 files on it.
+A manual media scan of this card does seem slow - usually takes at least 30 minutes (but definitely under 1 hour) and certainly no where close to 2 hours! After that, the DAP automatically checks for new files on startup or after adding new music.
+Recommended format for the card is FAT32. It can be formated in your A&K player. I'd suggest reformatting your card and re-creating your library. (Time consuming but perhaps it will help...?)
Charlie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back