Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Oct 6, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #481 of 652
Can anyone clarify whether the Roon control app can be installed on the se180, allowing for control of Roon on the se180 itself, rather than through a separate device?

It’s Roon Ready, but it’s just an endpoint. You start music on another device that has Roon Remote installed (or on your Roon Core). From there you get limited functionality of now playing (stop, pause, back, forward, artwork, etc) but not the full fledged Roon Remote app

This is on LAN only, regular Roon Remote. I don’t expect Roon Arc to work on the SE180 (possibly the SP3000 but still awaiting confirmation)

It’s more than any other DAP has (unless you count Mojo/Poly), so in some regards it’s a nice feature but it’s less than ideal. No one else has the ability to install the full Roon Remote though so it’s not like you have options.

I will say this, it’s better than I expected. As long as you use Roon Radio (Discovery) then you just start an album / playlist and let it do its thing. It’s not often I need to go back to the Roon Remote device once it’s started. Might skip a song here and there but that can be done on the SE180 so it’s not a dealbreaker.

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #482 of 652
I didn't follow the thread for a while.
Can someone give me a short rundown of the available Modules?

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #484 of 652
I didn't follow the thread for a while.
Can someone give me a short rundown of the available Modules?
Hi ThanatosVI. This video from Moon Audio gives an overview/comparison of SEM1 - SEM4:

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #485 of 652
It’s Roon Ready, but it’s just an endpoint. You start music on another device that has Roon Remote installed (or on your Roon Core). From there you get limited functionality of now playing (stop, pause, back, forward, artwork, etc) but not the full fledged Roon Remote app

This is on LAN only, regular Roon Remote. I don’t expect Roon Arc to work on the SE180 (possibly the SP3000 but still awaiting confirmation)

It’s more than any other DAP has (unless you count Mojo/Poly), so in some regards it’s a nice feature but it’s less than ideal. No one else has the ability to install the full Roon Remote though so it’s not like you have options.

I will say this, it’s better than I expected. As long as you use Roon Radio (Discovery) then you just start an album / playlist and let it do its thing. It’s not often I need to go back to the Roon Remote device once it’s started. Might skip a song here and there but that can be done on the SE180 so it’s not a dealbreaker.
Thanks very much for clearing that up. I guess I've been spoiled with my LG V30 which is a Roon endpoint but also runs Roon Remote, as well as, for the last week or so, Roon Arc.

It would be great if Roon Arc can be made to run on the se 180. Not having full control of Roon whilst using the se 180 would be a big put off for me. (I'm a potential buyer.)

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #486 of 652
Thanks very much for clearing that up. I guess I've been spoiled with my LG V30 which is a Roon endpoint but also runs Roon Remote, as well as, for the last week or so, Roon Arc.

It would be great if Roon Arc can be made to run on the se 180. Not having full control of Roon whilst using the se 180 would be a big put off for me. (I'm a potential buyer.)

@JasonNYC will update us on Roon Arc when information becomes available. Everything now is just speculation anyway

It’s my understanding that Roon Arc requires Android 11 (or higher) so I’m not holding my breath for the SE180. Hopefully they will get it working on the new flagship SP3000 (out later this month). If it’s that important to you I’d wait until there is more info on which devices will be compatible. If it trickles down to the SP2000 those are going cheap(er) right now in the classifieds for those trading up to the latest flagship.

Oct 6, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #488 of 652

Roon Remote for Android maxes out at 24/48 quality, where AK players as certified Roon Ready endpoints play bit-perfect hi-res up to 24/192 and DSD128 without downsampling like other Android devices.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 6, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #489 of 652
Roon Arc is supported on Android 9 and above. SE180 is running Android 9.

Thank you for clarifying that (not sure where I read 11). There is hope yet!

Oct 7, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #491 of 652
I finally found a source for crystal-clear, front SE180 screen protectors. They are made in Germany, two in a pack (front only), correctly sized and are excellent quality. Installation was straightforward, super easy and my end result was 100% dust and bubble-free.
The "Brotect" protector does not interfere with touch screen sensitivity and on my SE180 you can't even tell it is on. The screen grab I've attached is with it applied. (Very hard to get a good photo.) The company is ProtectionFilms24 and their email is: support@bedifol.com. I found their support team super responsive and great to deal with. Highly recommended. PM me if you'd like more details of my experience ordering from them.

IMG_20221007_082128282.jpg
IMG_20221007_073319494.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #492 of 652
deleted

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #493 of 652
Here’s instructions on side loading apps (for internet radio etc)

https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/installing-apps-on-your-astell-kern-dap

Not sure about Asset but if you have a Roon server you can use the SE180 as a Roon endpoint and it works flawlessly as it’s Roon Ready
Tried to follow these instructions installing apps but had no success. I downloaded some apps like radio-paradise and updated versions for Tidal Qobuz etc. Placed them in SE180/Internal Storage/OpenService/Download folder. Disconnected SE180 from USB then gone to "Services" but i cant see from there anyway to install my own downloads. There is a tab that is named "Download" from where i can download and install some selected apps not the ones i downloaded by my own... I have already installed from this "Download" tab Qobuz and Tidal apps but these are previous versions. So is there i any way to update these apps with my downloaded versions? or install other apps that not offered for download by SE180?

Oct 8, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #494 of 652
Tried to follow these instructions installing apps but had no success. I downloaded some apps like radio-paradise and updated versions for Tidal Qobuz etc. Placed them in SE180/Internal Storage/OpenService/Download folder. Disconnected SE180 from USB then gone to "Services" but i cant see from there anyway to install my own downloads.

I'm just about to update my Tidal and figured I should give a few screenshots for you to see. You clearly missed this step (from the link you gave) :point_down:

1665225592079.png

Just put the APK file in the OpenService folder - not OpenService/Download

1665225452607.png

From there, go to Services and you'll see the APK file you loaded

20221008_183639.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back