Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Aug 8, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #452 of 648
My SE180 showed up the other day, been running it exclusively with SEM4 ever since. DAR is incredible. (Coming from someone who uses HQPlayer in my “desktop” system)

I didn’t even have a chance to audition SEM2 yet. For those with SEM2 & SEM4 is it worth keeping both?
I have all four modules, and would suggest you trying sem3, if you already have sem4.

I use all of them, because i like how they offer different flavours and some modules have a better synergy with specific iems i have in my collection. Just can't decide which one to sell off, they all have their strengths.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #453 of 648
Hello @JasonNYC

The se180 arrived with a 50% battery, I used it normally until I reached 32%, with that I proceeded to charge it. It was 3 hours and kept scoring 32%.
I did the following:
- Finish the battery until it turned off (it was like 8 hours walking, therefore the battery is good, but not the charge counter on the screen).
- Charge the battery for about 8 hours.
- When locking him he kept marking 32%.
- Factory reset. He was still with the counter at 32%.
The battery is good, it lasts as long as necessary. Any solution? I do not want to send the technical service for this detail, since it would be 3 months or more without the player.
Thank you!
Hi @JasonNYC
I sent you an internal message about this issue, since the supplier in Chile had it since that date of publication and he gave it to me last week, according to them they sent it back from Korea. I think they didn't even send it. Please help.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #454 of 648
I have all four modules, and would suggest you trying sem3, if you already have sem4.

I use all of them, because i like how they offer different flavours and some modules have a better synergy with specific iems i have in my collection. Just can't decide which one to sell off, they all have their strengths.
hi there, which one you would suggest for large scale orchestral music and why please? great thanks!

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #455 of 648
Very nice case from Van Nyus (Japan) for on the go, with belt clips...

DSC_0201_1.jpg

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #457 of 648
hi there, which one you would suggest for large scale orchestral music and why please? great thanks!
Sorry it took me some time to figure the "why" section of your question)

So from my personal point of view, it boils down to the signature preference, obviously.
I was listening to some Holst in 44/16 flac (Juliter especially), Beethoven's symphony 7 by Manfred Honeck and Pittsburgh Symohony Orchestra in dsd 128 and Stravinsky's Firebird suite (1919 version) by Eiji Our also in 44/16 (absolutely fantastic record by the way).
I compared extensively all four modules, dropping out sem1 and sem2 very soon.
Sem1 has great dynamics and details but somewhat intimate presentation, which doesn't work that well with large scale orchestra in my opinion (though as I'm writing these I'm enjoying some modern jazz with sem1).
Sem2 is just too smooth and warm for classics for my preference, also it's far from neutral, leaning more toward "fun" signature.

So we are left with sem3 and sem4 modules, both has their strong sides with classical music.
Sem4 sounds very organic and natural, with great holographic effect. High dynamics and not shy of details, but without too much microcontrast, just very clean and clear sounding music.
The soundstage is large, more deep than wide, gives some dramatic effect to music. Great instrument localization.
The DAR (dsd upsampling) function gives extra clarity overall (especially down in the base region), better separation and even wider scene - for me the effect is rather noticeable.
Now the sem3 is more lively and vivid, especially high frequencies are more detailed and energetic. Also mids are not that smooth as with sem4, I perceive it as more detailed, with better separation.
Sem3 has higher dynamics than sem4 - which was actually a surprise. It gives me more emotions listening to Beethoven's Symphony 7.
Scene is on par with sem4 dar and wider/more grandeur than sem4 without dar.
Ovwrall it is easier to pick small nuances in sound field, which I find really rewarding with orchestral music.
Timbre is more neutral and leaning towards analytical sound, not that smooth as sem4 (someone can call it more digital, I call it more transparent). As a downside, sem3 can be more fatiguing, with all that information and dynamics.

Hope that helps, it was fun getting these impressions.

Aug 31, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #458 of 648
Sorry it took me some time to figure the "why" section of your question)

So from my personal point of view, it boils down to the signature preference, obviously.
I was listening to some Holst in 44/16 flac (Juliter especially), Beethoven's symphony 7 by Manfred Honeck and Pittsburgh Symohony Orchestra in dsd 128 and Stravinsky's Firebird suite (1919 version) by Eiji Our also in 44/16 (absolutely fantastic record by the way).
I compared extensively all four modules, dropping out sem1 and sem2 very soon.
Sem1 has great dynamics and details but somewhat intimate presentation, which doesn't work that well with large scale orchestra in my opinion (though as I'm writing these I'm enjoying some modern jazz with sem1).
Sem2 is just too smooth and warm for classics for my preference, also it's far from neutral, leaning more toward "fun" signature.

So we are left with sem3 and sem4 modules, both has their strong sides with classical music.
Sem4 sounds very organic and natural, with great holographic effect. High dynamics and not shy of details, but without too much microcontrast, just very clean and clear sounding music.
The soundstage is large, more deep than wide, gives some dramatic effect to music. Great instrument localization.
The DAR (dsd upsampling) function gives extra clarity overall (especially down in the base region), better separation and even wider scene - for me the effect is rather noticeable.
Now the sem3 is more lively and vivid, especially high frequencies are more detailed and energetic. Also mids are not that smooth as with sem4, I perceive it as more detailed, with better separation.
Sem3 has higher dynamics than sem4 - which was actually a surprise. It gives me more emotions listening to Beethoven's Symphony 7.
Scene is on par with sem4 dar and wider/more grandeur than sem4 without dar.
Ovwrall it is easier to pick small nuances in sound field, which I find really rewarding with orchestral music.
Timbre is more neutral and leaning towards analytical sound, not that smooth as sem4 (someone can call it more digital, I call it more transparent). As a downside, sem3 can be more fatiguing, with all that information and dynamics.

Hope that helps, it was fun getting these impressions.
excellent and detailed review!! thank you 👍👍👍

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #459 of 648
Three months in, for me the SE180 with the SEM4 module and Sennheiser IE900 iems hits the sweet spot of price, build, sound quality and features. It’s a bit of a brick, but still fairly pocket friendly, and the improved battery life is noticeable. Bluetooth range is not great, but otherwise the connection with my Dali Katch v1 speaker is nice, and great sound quality. We all have different tastes and tastes, but of all the dac/phone and daps I have tried this is a winner.

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #460 of 648
Does the SE180 have embedded Qobuz App or only via OpenService?

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #462 of 648
Only via OpenService, but now it's easier than ever - you just connect to wifi, go to Services tab and there press to download the latest supported Qobuz app version. No fuss at all.
Ok but how is the performance? Is it compereable with the sideloaded Tidal App or slower? I've seen a Youtuber with a SE180 telling his experience with Qobuz App wasn't that good?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #464 of 648
@JasonNYC there is any plan for a new module release ??
Or the SE180 it’s done with the SEM4? and it’s coming another player for the A&Futura series?🤔🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back