Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #241 of 649
Thanks Jason. How about the availability?
Sorry, forgot that.

November 15th here in North America. Other regions will be around that date also give or take a few days depending on when they receive their shipments from Korea.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 16, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #243 of 649
Without considering the price
How does cayin n6ii A01 vs SE180 SEM1?
Also curious how does SE180 Sem1 vs R6 pro and m6 pro (Ess)?
Which one has best bass quality and quantity?

Im a basshead and vocal lovers, im using ZX507 with 64 audio nio

Previously ditched SR25 and Z1R

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #244 of 649
Latest SE180 firmware (1.21) has an easter egg surprise - ReplayGain 😃

Oct 20, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #245 of 649
Without considering the price
How does cayin n6ii A01 vs SE180 SEM1?
Also curious how does SE180 Sem1 vs R6 pro and m6 pro (Ess)?
Which one has best bass quality and quantity?

Im a basshead and vocal lovers, im using ZX507 with 64 audio nio

Previously ditched SR25 and Z1R
Haven't actually listened to the DAPs you've mentioned but I know Nio pretty well and given your preferences I'd say that SEM1 won't suit your needs but SEM2 should :D I love the pairing of my EE Nemesis with SEM2 - the bass is just awesome! Deep and powerfull, full and massive but perfectly controlled.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #246 of 649
Haven't actually listened to the DAPs you've mentioned but I know Nio pretty well and given your preferences I'd say that SEM1 won't suit your needs but SEM2 should :D I love the pairing of my EE Nemesis with SEM2 - the bass is just awesome! Deep and powerfull, full and massive but perfectly controlled.
Ive remember tried e02 a bit and it sounds great but that time i havent got the se180

My ears is so sensitive at upper high arround 2K even using full cooper cable and 4.4mm pentacon
Previously i had sr25 and the upper high is sadistically terrible peaky…

Maybe now im more intrigue to listen n6ii (e02) vs se180 (sem1) how does that different? Anyone has tried that one head to head?

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #247 of 649
Sorry, forgot that.

November 15th here in North America. Other regions will be around that date also give or take a few days depending on when they receive their shipments from Korea.

Oh jason, sorry forgot to ask on prev post…
I noticed when i turn on the EQ the volume is dropped but the number of volume doesnt change so i have to crank it up again.

but when i turn off the eq suddenly i forgot that the volume has been raised the sound is blasting hurt my ears.. is this only my unit deffect or AK purposely doing that?

In my previous and latest firmware also happends like that. This problem i find on my ak se180 but doesnt exist on other brand players

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #248 of 649
I noticed when i turn on the EQ the volume is dropped but the number of volume doesnt change so i have to crank it up again.

but when i turn off the eq suddenly i forgot that the volume has been raised the sound is blasting hurt my ears.. is this only my unit deffect or AK purposely doing that?

In my previous and latest firmware also happends like that. This problem i find on my ak se180 but doesnt exist on other brand players
Happens in mine too. That's just how they did it, another "quirk" it has...

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #250 of 649
Happens in mine too. That's just how they did it, another "quirk" it has...
Omg that quirks is bad and can be dangerous for consumer. Why does company like AK never fix this? Some people can get deaf along the time if this keeps happening

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #251 of 649

Not sure for A&K, but many devices reduce gain when using EQ to prevent digital clipping as most people tend to only turn things up with EQ...

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #252 of 649
Not sure for A&K, but many devices reduce gain when using EQ to prevent digital clipping as most people tend to only turn things up with EQ...
And the ones that dont reduce gain usually run into issues. Such as start introducing artifacts or if overdone simply distort.

Though i must admit even if i fire up volume to compensate for gain loss it still sounds too soft for me. Luckily i never found a need of EQing on my sp2000 whatever i throw at it. But im only using EQ to reduce stuff on elevate. Something like midbass or lower treble peak and even then occasionally.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #253 of 649
Has anyone paired the SE180 with the MDR-Z1R from Sony? Thats my current TOTL headphone, and I am looking for a portable solution; the DX300/Kann Alpha are my other choices.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #254 of 649
Has anyone paired the SE180 with the MDR-Z1R from Sony? Thats my current TOTL headphone, and I am looking for a portable solution; the DX300/Kann Alpha are my other choices.
With SE200 I find the Z7MK1 shines the best...
The Z1R needs a loot of slam to Shine, It works good with SE200 but everytime I've went again to ZH1ES I notice that it wasn't enough, don't know if SE180 can bring that in, but when You look some comparison between SE180 and SE200 I think that it will be the same. Example for comparison:

https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/ak-se180-se200

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #255 of 649
With SE200 I find the Z7MK1 shines the best...
The Z1R needs a loot of slam to Shine, It works good with SE200 but everytime I've went again to ZH1ES I notice that it wasn't enough, don't know if SE180 can bring that in, but when You look some comparison between SE180 and SE200 I think that it will be the same. Example for comparison:

https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/ak-se180-se200
So the SE200 and S7 mixed well? Is that what you're saying? I love the over ear Z1R, looking for a good solution that could bring the most out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back