Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #601 of 648
Hi. On my SE180 - in Folder view - I have The Beatles selected, for example. All their 'album' folders listed in alphabetical order. At the top left, right under the Notification menu is '<- TheBeatles.' Touching just that left pointing arrow(<-) backs me up to all the 'A-D' artist's folders (Aaron Copland, Adam LaMotte, Al DiMeola, etc.) on the previous page. At the top left of that menu page is '<- A-D'. Again, tapping the arrow brings me back to the previous page, 'FLACs' (repeat for Hi-res, Music, then Folder) So I am definitely able to navigate back, in the reverse order, as I browsed to a particular selection. The Floating Back button, if enabled, behaves the exact same way.
Thanks, I will check that out!

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #602 of 648
Hi. On my SE180 - in Folder view - I have The Beatles selected, for example. All their 'album' folders listed in alphabetical order. At the top left, right under the Notification menu is '<- TheBeatles.' Touching just that left pointing arrow(<-) backs me up to all the 'A-D' artist's folders (Aaron Copland, Adam LaMotte, Al DiMeola, etc.) on the previous page. At the top left of that menu page is '<- A-D'. Again, tapping the arrow brings me back to the previous page, 'FLACs' (repeat for Hi-res, Music, then Folder) So I am definitely able to navigate back, in the reverse order, as I browsed to a particular selection. The Floating Back button, if enabled, behaves the exact same way.
Found it, took a while to understand the setting (kind of a weird option, 'input method'

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #603 of 648
Found it, took a while to understand the setting (kind of a weird option, 'input method'
I think a photo or two would have simplified my explanation, but I didn't have my phone with me. Glad it worked out!

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #604 of 648
At a time when high-quality dongle dac amps under $300 can keep up with DAPs that cost $1000+ and thus DAPs are also lagging behind the features of current smartphones (try updating your new Astell Kern in 3/4/5 years in the hope of getting the current Android in order to still get relevant (streaming) apps and support, then it only slowly becomes apparent how obsolete such a chunk actually is. Of course we strive for minimalism, the essential. but what is more essential than that to take what you already have (which usually has better components) and simply plug in a high-quality dongle.
The problem is, I tried so so many dongles, none literaly none comes close to these kind of DAP’s, the only one that sounds good to me is the mojo2, but that is bulky
Again. Even the xdsd gryphon did not male
Me happy.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #605 of 648
With a market where is M17 outhere with awesome sound, latest DAC, speedy hardware, android 10 software
here it comes implementation of 4493 supposedly better then 4499 on a similar price point 🤔. Is Android 8 faster/better then android 10 or Rockchip ahead of Snapdragon, because Astell & Kern assembled it right. I liked sound of AK, but they failed with support, outdated hardware, software and sound from other companies is showing they can not keep up. I wish them good luck, but it wont help.
I tried without a joke, the whole line of fiio, shanling and ibasso(even all 4 amps of the dx320)… took me a day at the shop(yes crazy!)… interface/perfomance wise astell does not have a change… soundwise Astell won easily of all of them. The only one that was very decent was the Shanlin M9 plus, but that is in sp3000 territory and the sp3000 sounds bizar!

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #606 of 648
Could someone help me out, I can maybe can get a SEM3. I have the Sem1 (which I never thought sounded bad in any way). I bought the Sem4 and love that too, in a different way, warmer with a lot of stage.

could someone explain a little how the SEM3 sounds? I saw some reviews but that explanation is a little to vague for me, could someone explain in what way the sem3 sounds better than sem1? I love a neutral sound, but not treble simbilance. Is the Sem3 comparable to a upgrade on the SEM1? so more stage for example? or does it sound totally different?

any help is very welcome! thanks

Nov 13, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #607 of 648
I have all of the SEMs, and, to me, the SEM3 has the most neutral sound of them all. Sibilance isn’t a problem. I listen exclusively with IEMs, and for sheer detail and technicalities the SEM3 is probably the best of the lot. Since you love a neutral sound, I don’t think you could go wrong with it.

Nov 13, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #608 of 648
I have all of the SEMs, and, to me, the SEM3 has the most neutral sound of them all. Sibilance isn’t a problem. I listen exclusively with IEMs, and for sheer detail and technicalities the SEM3 is probably the best of the lot. Since you love a neutral sound, I don’t think you could go wrong with it.
thanks

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #609 of 648
I guess I'm the only one with the SEM4 around here so far.

1653400485102.png

The SEM1 and SEM3 modules (ESS based) are not necessarily the typical A&K sound. Especially SEM3 has an analytical presentation with great detail, sound stage and resolution. It has been the best module you can attach to the SEM3 in my opinion.

Or is it?

Well, as soon as the SEM4 arrived, it's not easy for me to pick just one. The new module sounds much more like A&K signature, with creamy mids, deep and wide staging, excellent imaging and treble extension with lots of micro details. Overall, the SEM4 makes the SE180 a great cheaper alternative to the SP2000 in my mind. I have used the SP2000 for over a year, so I can say that this setup is not SP2000, but it's not far away either. For SP2000T idk, I haven't got a chance to test it.

I haven't played around much with the "DAR" upsampling setting, but as a very first impression; it opens up the staging a bit with more spaciousness. It sounds immersive and wide. It converts basically everything to DSD, so yeah, very interesting feature.

Of course, the DAP costs around 1900$ with this module so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. But if you're after a focused, analytical and sharp sound you can pick the SEM3. The SEM4 is for the people who are quite familiar with A&K sound. But boy, it sounds really good.

I'll do a review on HFN but I thought this quick impression would help.
I’m really, really late to the party! Please accept my apologies if this has already been answered somewhere in the thread. I recently picked up the SE180. I already own a Shanling H7. I was wondering whether I should go for the SEM4 or SEM3? Do you, by any chance know how these compare with the Shanling H7? Many thanks.

Dec 3, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #610 of 648
I’m really, really late to the party! Please accept my apologies if this has already been answered somewhere in the thread. I recently picked up the SE180. I already own a Shanling H7. I was wondering whether I should go for the SEM4 or SEM3? Do you, by any chance know how these compare with the Shanling H7? Many thanks.
As he said, the SEM 3 is very detailed. So with a great pair of detailed headphones it can sound immaculate. But for my money I went with the SEM4 because I enjoyed the sound much more. I am less into technical listening and enjoy a more immersive, wider soundstage. Still has plenty of clarity, don’t want to suggest otherwise. I don’t bother to change out my SEM4 anymore for any of the others.

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #611 of 648
A while a go I had almost half a day, auditing seriously the whole line up of shanling, fiio and astell.

The few that stood out to me where, the sp3000 (amazing) shanling m9 plus and sp2000. But all of those way above the 2000 price point. None of the fiio’s pleased me, not even the new m15s.

Than the se180 went through my hands, and than one with the sem4, came very very close to the sp2000. So I guess it is propably above H7 (or big change to). With the Sem4 it sounds very, very good!

The sem3 I listened shortly in the shop, also very very amazing, and is on my list to buy. Sem3 and sem4 are the two best dacs for the se180. It is like have to high end dap’s both sounding amazing, but with different taste.

Sem4 stage and clear but a little smoother. Sem3 amazingly clear with a big stage, but less forgiving for bad recordings, but shines!!! When the recording is good.

In the end the sem3 and sem4 are both amazing, but it depends more on taste than quality in those two.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #612 of 648
A while a go I had almost half a day, auditing seriously the whole line up of shanling, fiio and astell.

The few that stood out to me where, the sp3000 (amazing) shanling m9 plus and sp2000. But all of those way above the 2000 price point. None of the fiio’s pleased me, not even the new m15s.

Than the se180 went through my hands, and than one with the sem4, came very very close to the sp2000. So I guess it is propably above H7 (or big change to). With the Sem4 it sounds very, very good!

The sem3 I listened shortly in the shop, also very very amazing, and is on my list to buy. Sem3 and sem4 are the two best dacs for the se180. It is like have to high end dap’s both sounding amazing, but with different taste.

Sem4 stage and clear but a little smoother. Sem3 amazingly clear with a big stage, but less forgiving for bad recordings, but shines!!! When the recording is good.

In the end the sem3 and sem4 are both amazing, but it depends more on taste than quality in those two.
Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed response. Really appreciated! :) I’ll probably take the SEM4 then. I’m leaning towards a bit of musicality and from what I read in your response, SEM4 might fit that bill perfectly. Thanks again. :)

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #613 of 648
As he said, the SEM 3 is very detailed. So with a great pair of detailed headphones it can sound immaculate. But for my money I went with the SEM4 because I enjoyed the sound much more. I am less into technical listening and enjoy a more immersive, wider soundstage. Still has plenty of clarity, don’t want to suggest otherwise. I don’t bother to change out my SEM4 anymore for any of the others.
Thanks mate! Yea, I think, I’ll go with the SEM4 too. :) Same for me - immersive and wider soundstage trumps technicality by a wee bit! :)

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #614 of 648
Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed response. Really appreciated! :) I’ll probably take the SEM4 then. I’m leaning towards a bit of musicality and from what I read in your response, SEM4 might fit that bill perfectly. Thanks again. :)
Either are very good,right now only owning the Sem4, and I can tell you it is amazing! way waaaaayyy above the sem1 (and to be honest the sem1 wasn't even bad to begin with)

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #615 of 648
Either are very good,right now only owning the Sem4, and I can tell you it is amazing! way waaaaayyy above the sem1 (and to be honest the sem1 wasn't even bad to begin with)
Thanks mate! I’ve been actually thoroughly enjoying the DAP with the stock SEM1 module. Was wondering if you’ve got a chance to listen to it using the A&K PA10 as an amplifier and if it makes sense to get that instead of the additional DAC/amp modules since the DAC in SEM1 is pretty nice to begin with. Also, another reason is that I am unable to get these modules. It’s sold out everywhere in Europe. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back