Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
May 26, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #151 of 648
Most Parisians, it seems, “live again”, in their own words, now they can hang out at café terraces; feet in dog piss (I know cause I take my dogs to piss on the terraces) and dog turds (don’t look at me like that, those I religiously remove), in between smelly trash cans, their noses filled with the fumes of car exhausts and other patrons’ beer breath, freshly mask-free.

I’ll just go and listen to some expensive DAPs, yeah? First time going to audition gear in 18 months, that’s my party! Museums are open; all that’s missing is my gym now.

Took my IMR Semper, brash but dark and able to scale, a balanced cable, and sat down with the SE180 and DX300 fed by a mix of CD-quality and higher res Qobuz tracks I know well.

The iBasso is absolutely great to use and peruse, and a faster, familiar, much more fluid experience than the A&K, esp. for Android users. It’s also appreciably lighter in spite of the large format. That said, I won’t be posting about my session on the DX300 thread. It’s ultimately rather unimpressive to my ears, with annoying little peaks in the upper mids and a certain lack of finesse overall.

The SE180 feels like A&K need to up their UX game a little bit, the keyboard feels laggy like yesteryear virtual keyboards and navigation takes some getting used to. You can feel the polish though, and it’s a gorgeous, gorgeous brick. Damn heavy. Buy it for weightlifting if you too are waiting for your gym to re-open.
I only tried out the default ESS module. What a DAC. Very impressive display of technical prowess. I like to check the first minute or so of Chelsea Wolfe’s “Iron Moon”, which has rather mysterious percussion and brooding guitar and voice, as different sources present it very differently. For the first time I got a very clear picture of the drum kit, with outstanding placement. The accuracy and control were evident whatever I played. But the SE180 also sounds really… polite? It felt wrong somehow to play death metal on it, even though it provided unprecedented separation and coherence to Gorguts’ “Forgotten Arrows”, whose mastering I’ve always considered messy.

So this a really high-end piece of kit and a masterclass in fidelity - but lacking in engagement factor as far as I’m concerned. It was the same story with every track: I was wowed initially, but within a minute grew distracted, and ended up quite apathetic. Where the DX300 felt like it wanted me to enjoy myself but didn’t feel me at all and made missteps at every turn, the SE180 just knew my own music better than me and presented it without much care for my enjoyment.

I can see many people being very happy with this one though - this is desktop-grade delineation and staging! An analyst’s dream.

For my part I was happy to walk back home with my N3Pro. That little dude? He’s my chum. Quirky and annoying, yes, but that effing bass tone and emotional delivery are second to none. It’s unabashedly colored, but it seems I’ve lucked out as those colors match mine.
If @twister6 review is to be believed, (And so far his impressions/comparisons align with mine on what gear i have heard) you need AKM module.
I did audition se200 and AKM side is a lot more engaging.
So if se180 AKM module is resembling that of se200 it should sort you out.

May 26, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #152 of 648
If @twister6 review is to be believed, (And so far his impressions/comparisons align with mine on what gear i have heard) you need AKM module.
I did audition se200 and AKM side is a lot more engaging.
So if se180 AKM module is resembling that of se200 it should sort you out.
ALSO, keep in mind that the sound will depend on your headphones/IEMs that you are using. Synergy is so very important.

May 26, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #153 of 648
I ordered about two hours ago, so thank you for posting your thoughts. Exactly how laggy was the keyboard? Were there any other interface drawbacks that left you unsettled?
There was nothing in the UI I wouldn’t have gotten used to given time, ultimately it’s well-organized and fully featured. The keyboard, well, it felt a bit Android 5. But it works. I was using Qobuz’ Search feature, which itself doesn’t work that well, so the frustrations compounded one another. It’s really nothing major.

@Skullar You may have a point! I was a bit wary of A&K basically gating the best experience of the SE180 behind the AKM module pay wall. You end up paying more than the SE200. Maybe it’s not economically valid but packing both modules by default in the SE180 box would have been so much more elegant.

May 26, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #154 of 648
There was nothing in the UI I wouldn’t have gotten used to given time, ultimately it’s well-organized and fully featured. The keyboard, well, it felt a bit Android 5. But it works. I was using Qobuz’ Search feature, which itself doesn’t work that well, so the frustrations compounded one another. It’s really nothing major.
With this i agree. I fed myself with impressions of A&K software being too stripped out and clunky in comparison to full androind daps out there. But really, its all i need.
I come from dx300 and R8 and yes if you want fully blown android multimedia experience they will offer that, and will suit you better. But if you, like me, want only a music player with streaming capabilities A&K UI is plenty. Very intuitive, no gimmick features or useless bloatware.

The only gripe on my side would be a touch better wifi connection. And more responsive EQ. But i understand at least se180 has improve on that already.

May 26, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #155 of 648
Hopefully someone can post pics comparing the se180 to the se200 and the se100. I want to get a new player, but don't want anything much thicker than my se100.

May 26, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #156 of 648
Hopefully someone can post pics comparing the se180 to the se200 and the se100. I want to get a new player, but don't want anything much thicker than my se100.
How about this, straight from A&K website :wink:

SE180 vs SE200 vs SE100

1622078806393.png
1622078843272.png
1622078995366.png

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #157 of 648
How about this, straight from A&K website :wink:

SE180 vs SE200 vs SE100

1622078806393.png 1622078843272.png 1622078995366.png
Appreciate that, but would still like to see them together in a pic.

May 27, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #161 of 648
May 27, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #163 of 648
Unfortunately haven’t this DAPs:/ images from web. In Russia nobody have se180 yet. Now we can only wait this device:)
Where are pics from?

May 27, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #164 of 648
Thanks. Knowing how thick the se100 is, the se180 looks chunky. How does it feel? I'm on the fence on this or the se200.
Mate if youre worried about size go for se200. Once you put a case on se180 its gonna barely go into jeans pocket.

Se180 is just slighly smaller and thinner than R8 and i did compare se200 with R8 a while ago. Dont have a picture of thickness comparison unfortunately20210505_180153_HDR.jpg

May 27, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #165 of 648
Mate if youre worried about size go for se200. Once you put a case on se180 its gonna barely go into jeans pocket.

Se180 is just slighly smaller and thinner than R8 and i did compare se200 with R8 a while ago. Dont have a picture of thickness comparison unfortunately
Probably the way I go. I'd like to get by moon audio and see if they have both on hand when I get ready to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back