Astell and Kern XB10 for car audio improvement?
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sugarfree1122

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.

I have been reading forums about everything last seven days, my eyes almost fell out and Im still not clear about something.

I am using Samsung galaxy s8 for any kind of music/youtube/movie files for reproduction..MAINLY YOUTUBE. As all of us know Samsung S8 is so terribly and patethically bad source due to limited volume output, the worst phone I ever had- volume is so low through 3.5mm that I lost will to use it. Btw- I am guitar handbanger got used to tube amplifiers.

Also it is known that its not easy to find dac/amp which will work through s8 usb output.

My primary goal is to achieve cleaner sound with more volume than s8 to use it in a CAR system through aux in. Amp is pretty decent Alpine 5 channel PDR V75.
Im pretty convinced that aux in is bypassing HU dac (also pathetic dac)...but im not sure, and after days of search of Fiio's, Firefly"s and similar devices i stubmbled on Astell and Kern XB10.
Blutooth new generation, dac/amp with good reviews and nice adittion of built in microphone for phone calls.

Question is- is it going to be LOUDER AND CLEARER trough aux in in the car than 3.5mm od Samsung S8. Im asking coz Im bit lost with tracing data about power outputs and output voltages of portable dac/amp's..
Also I saw Arcam miniblink.
At the moment I am working on the ship and I cant see youtube reviews, but Im planning tu purchase device to wait me home whn I arrive.
Budget is not restricted but I believe 200$ would be decent for this purpose.

Please guys, I could use advice.
Astell and Kern Xb10 or something else to reproduce youtube mainly, but also mp3 and videos saved on the phone/tablet...with better clarity and volume?

Thank you.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Even if all you want is a louder and cleaner signal (and not actually deal with the actual problems in car audio that stem from not having a Maclaren F1, ie, you're sitting off center and too close to speakers on one side), a DAC is a terrible idea for this. Most portable SE DACs even if they have a battery only output 1.2v, so while the signal might be cleaner, it won't be louder. Others may output the Sony standard 2volts, but these don't have batteries and rely on a standard power output USB port like on a motherboard that doesn't cap the current. Even fast charge powerbanks can't power some DACs and USB speakers properly despite how fast they can charge a smartphone/tablet.

Your best bet is to use a DAP with 2v or near 2v line output and has BT, so you can stream content from your smartphone and into the DAP. The Fiio X1-II has a 1.9v line out and two way BT.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you for reply.
Iread your reply few times trying to get it right.

I could use 2A 5Vdc supply from lighter socket....I will lok into Fiio x-II, but as I can see it is kind of player.

Once again, you are saying that dac/headphone amp will not to any change? I can forget about this astell and kern or BTR1 and similar things.
I mainly asked this question coz i saw people are connecting usb socket powered dac and they are reporting nice improvements over samsung S8 3.5mm output.
When i use 3.5mm samsung s8 to aux in I need to crank up HU terribly and like this noise is incerasing and i hear signal is full of S*IT.

Check this link if you catch a minute and give me one more thought. Thanks again.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255872

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 7
I could use 2A 5Vdc supply from lighter socket....

Yes then you need splitter USB cables so the power from the 2A, 5V charger can go into the DAC at the same time as the USB OTG chain from the S8 carrying the audio signal.

One way to get around how pigtail cables can be incorrectly wired (ie some of them are designed to charge the other way, ie, the host device) is to use the one DAC I know that has two separate USB inputs for power and signal - the Schiit Fulla2. AFAIK its line output is 2volts so that also gives you a loud enough signal, ie, Sony standard line output voltage for home audio.

BT will work for input but you have to find one with a 2v line out, problem is that most of those are have an AC powerbrick and a 12VDC to xxVDC PSU might cost a fair bit more money.

I will lok into Fiio x-II, but as I can see it is kind of player.

Yeah I kinda mentioned it is a DAP. But point is it has two-way BT either for sending audio to wireless headphones/speakers or for receiving a wireless signal. That's how you can use streaming services on it despite not running regular Android with PlayStore access.

It'll be more expensive than the Schiit Fulla2 although if you want to minimize cable clutter this is the only BT+2v line out solution.

Once again, you are saying that dac/headphone amp will not to any change?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. If you mean they won't alter the signal, typically THD+N % are just at the brink of audibility when using the amplifier stage on a DAP or DAC-HPamp, but that's more of if you have to crank it up for headphones. If you're using the line out then the amp on the DAC-HPamp or DAP will be bypassed, so there's one less circuit that can add coloration or noise.

I can forget about this astell and kern or BTR1 and similar things.

Those only have amplified outputs for headphones, no line out.

You can get 2v if not more out of either, but even if your primary goal is to get a louder and cleaner signal, there's a possibility that it can only be louder. No telling if it cranks out noise that can get picked up and amplified by your car's receiver/amp.

If you can try it and return if it doesn't work then you can at least try either first.

I mainly asked this question coz i saw people are connecting usb socket powered dac and they are reporting nice improvements over samsung S8 3.5mm output.

No doubt about that, what I'm saying is that unless you have the exact same devices involved there might be some variance to the quality (in terms of noise performance), how loud it can go or if it even works because of USB power issues if you're using USB OTG out of the S8.

BT will make that a little bit easier technically but there aren't a lot of 2v line output DACs with BT input that you can easily use in a car.

When i use 3.5mm samsung s8 to aux in I need to crank up HU terribly and like this noise is incerasing and i hear signal is full of S*IT.

That's because you can't use the DAC of the S8 while bypassing the headphone driver circuit as both are built into the same audio chip. That' kind of like if you have a consumer grade Intel CPU with built in graphics that can barely run MOBA games but you can't install a better dedicated graphics card for some reason.

And then that's kind of a similar problem with the BTR1 and the A&K. The latter probably has separate DAC and output stage chips while the other has an integrated audio chip, but either way the amp circuits can't be bypasseed.

They will have cleaner signal than the S8 for driving headphones and IEMs but of using it as a line out with another amp down the line could still leave you with some noise, just not distortion. Or at least have you playing with the volume setting on the BT DAC to find a sweet spot where it's markedly louder and cleaner.

Check this link if you catch a minute and give me one more thought. Thanks again.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255872

One way to get around the problem, and also since you jsut need a louder cleaner line signal into teh Aux input, is to use whatever was used by other users there. That way if it's via OTG and used with the S8 and is nown to work without issues on the S8 or a 12v charger supplying power then that just leaves you with your car's aux input (ie if it's broken or just a really crappy deisgn then using the exact same items will pinpoint it as the likely problem, not the new gear you bought).

Mar 17, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 7
I really appreciate your effort to point out things for me. I think Im gonna sacrifice 180 bucks for A&K coz specs-wise its more high end than Fiio Btr1.
I share your opinion about finding sweet spot with dac volume and HU unit volume and I and hope I will get litte bit more healthy input to aux. If not I will sell or try to change it if im dissapointed. Here where I come from there is no way to test and return, only buy and be, or dont be happy. :)

I will feel free to ask you about one more device...I read a LOT but written is often far away from real life situation.
What do you say about Arcam Miniblink? Again..spec-wise they say 2.15V 3.5mm unbalanced uotput.....compared to Astell and kern?

Thanks A Lot!

Mar 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 7
I really appreciate your effort to point out things for me. I think Im gonna sacrifice 180 bucks for A&K coz specs-wise its more high end than Fiio Btr1.
I share your opinion about finding sweet spot with dac volume and HU unit volume and I and hope I will get litte bit more healthy input to aux. If not I will sell or try to change it if im dissapointed. Here where I come from there is no way to test and return, only buy and be, or dont be happy. :)

I will feel free to ask you about one more device...I read a LOT but written is often far away from real life situation.
What do you say about Arcam Miniblink? Again..spec-wise they say 2.15V 3.5mm unbalanced uotput.....compared to Astell and kern?

If you can't return from where you are I'd really much rather use something or a combo that already works. If you'll use BT then that cuts one major compatibility issue, but at least try to check if anybody else has used that same device in a car and order the same kind of 12v to USB charger they used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back