Asking G: Microphone techniques in recording
Feb 21, 2023 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious about microphone placement theories. I would imagine different instruments get miked differently. I know from personal experience that miking drums is not at all intuitive. Gregorio, how would you approach miking an acoustic piano? Are there different ways to mike it to get different kinds of sound out of it?

Everyone else, feel free to pitch in more questions on miking.

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 54
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 54
I'm particularly interested in miking concepts, not adjusting after the fact. But thanks!

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 54
I'm curious about microphone placement theories.
There are lots of them but most aren’t really theories, they’re principles or practices, based on scientific/engineering practicalities such as the mic performance, distance/timing between them when using multi/stereo mic’ing, plus a great deal of personal experience.
I would imagine different instruments get miked differently.
Very much so. With a fairly high pitched instrument we would likely use a condenser mic as dynamic mics have a poorer HF response. There are numerous variables that will affect what mics we use and where we place them.
I know from personal experience that miking drums is not at all intuitive.
Very true. The fundamental questions of mic’ing are: What do we want to end up with and how are we going to get there? The answer to these questions narrow down our options of what mics to use and where to place them. The answers to these questions are particularly problematic with a drumkit. What we want to end up with is typically a highly processed sound but probably something that still sounds like a single entity (played by a drummer). How we’re going to get there, is that we’re going to need quite a bit of isolation/separation between the instruments in the kit, so we can process the snare drum separately from say the hihats and kick drum but also mic in a way that makes the whole thing sound like a single drumkit, rather than just a bunch of individual, unrelated percussion instruments. There are obvious contradictions with these two answers and that’s why mic’ing a drumkit is tricky and often not intuitive, although it might seem more intuitive now, in light of these questions/answers?
Gregorio, how would you approach miking an acoustic piano? Are there different ways to mike it to get different kinds of sound out of it?
Yes, there are definitely different ways to mic it that are going to get different sounds out of it, some subtle some not so. And this is why I can’t answer how I would approach mic’ing an acoustic piano beyond just some broad steps. First step is to narrow down some of the variables, is this a grand or upright piano, is it a live performance, is this an unaccompanied (or solo multi-tracked) piano, is it a solo piano with an ensemble, is it a piano that’s just a member of an ensemble, where is this recording going to take place (pub, world class concert hall, studio, football stadium, etc.)? Next step is our good old two questions above and only after all these answers could I start to consider various practical options.
In this episode of the mastering show, they get into miking (among other things), including issues with recording acoustic pianos.
Ian Shepard knows what he’s talking about, compared to most of the vids/podcasts posted here he is a reliable source of knowledge. That doesn’t mean he’s always right but I don’t recall hearing something from him that had me frothing at the mouth. Well worth watching his YouTube stuff if you’re interested. Bear in mind though he’s a mastering engineer, he’s certainly got some recording experience but compared to say a long time recording engineer at a top studio, he’s going to be limited.
I'm particularly interested in miking concepts, not adjusting after the fact.
Ah, but the two aren’t separate, remember our 2 fundamental questions. How and what we’re going to “adjust after the fact” will largely be dictated by how we’ve mic’ed it. So, our mic’ing concepts will be significantly influenced by how/what we want to “adjust after the fact”.

G

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 54
Let’s say we have a classical solo piano. Grand piano in a hall. I think I’ll understand better for a more focused subject, rather than have to consider isolation from other instruments.

Then how would the approach differ for a solo classical guitar?

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 54
Ian Shepard knows what he’s talking about, compared to most of the vids/podcasts posted here he is a reliable source of knowledge. That doesn’t mean he’s always right but I don’t recall hearing something from him that had me frothing at the mouth. Well worth watching his YouTube stuff if you’re interested. Bear in mind though he’s a mastering engineer, he’s certainly got some recording experience but compared to say a long time recording engineer at a top studio, he’s going to be limited.
Yes but it was more the discussion with the guy he interviewed for the video, Mike Senior, who is a recording engineer, that I thought was relevant to Big Shot's question.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 54
Let’s say we have a classical solo piano. Grand piano in a hall.
OK, now we have a starting point. I’ll assume it’s a really good/famous concert hall. This assumption means that we’re probably want to be really careful capturing the acoustics/reverb. Is this a live gig (with an audience) or just an empty hall for a recording session? If it’s the former, then I would look to have a mic array (or a couple of mics) near the ceiling above and towards the back of the stage, as I’ll get cleaner reverb and less audience sound/noise than if I placed the mics at the back of the hall just above the audience height. I”ll probably have a mic or two not far from the back and not far above the audience, to pick up the audience and one or two at the back but much higher. In the mix we can now balance the main clean reverb with decent but noisier reverb from the back and also increase the audience noise if we wish. However, exactly what we do here will depend on the exact hall. A large symphony hall and the mics near the back of the auditorium don’t need to be near the back a small recital hall probably more so. Next question, is this being commercially filmed/broadcast? If so, we might have to choose less visually obtrusive mics and mic positions for the piano, if not we can do whatever we want. The choice for the actual piano mics will depend on what the piece is and the playing style of the performer. For example someone like Lang Lang can be quite subtle but can also give it a damn good thrashing, so that will affect what mics we choose compared to say someone like Melvin Tan who is always very subtle and never bangs away. EG. For Melvin we’d choose a mic with a really low noise floor because we’ll probably be adding a decent amount of mic pre-amp gain. In either case we’d want a mic with a smooth and wide FR, very probably (but not definitely) a high quality large diameter condenser (C414s were always a popular choice but I usually prefer something a bit cleaner) to help the bass a bit, 2 of them covering the low and high strings inside the piano, cardioid or wide cardioid to get some reflection from the lid from the rear lobe of the polar pattern and possibly quite close to the hammers with Melvin and further away for Lang Lang. Exact positioning would need tweaking during a sound test. Might also (or even instead) have a mic or two outside the piano, say 4ft in front, to get a more holistic sound because it can be tricky to get all the bass and treble with close mics without it being a bit two separated (almost like two different pianos).

That’ll do you for now! Hope it’s useful?

G

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 54
Yes but it was more the discussion with the guy he interviewed for the video, Mike Senior, who is a recording engineer
Ah, didn’t realise that. Not that it really matters in that particular case, they were talking fairly basic stuff, the sort of thing you’d learn after a year or so and I didn’t notice anything wrong in what was stated even though it was a bit over simplified.

The pencil test though. The way I heard it years ago is that it was a wind-up, after a while of very carefully taping a pencil to a mic the poor assistant was laughed at for falling for it! Seemed to be a thing with senior engineers many years ago, winding up assistants/students. A lot of them seemed to have very dry humour and it was difficult to know when they were joking. It made sure the interns/assistants learned the theory and how things worked though, so they knew when to laugh rather than actually trying to do it!

G

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 54
Question!

Is this the original recording session for this single? The sync for Karen Carpenter’s lips and drums looks uncannily real to me.

If so, all I have to say is, damn. :L3000:

(I realize the lush orchestration and much of the harmony vocals and some other stuff were overdubbed in any event.)

Any basics to learn from this video, if it is the real recording session?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 54
So I live in Atlanta, whose symphony has a label with Telarc. I had read that due to the acoustics of the auditorium without an audience, they will put boards on top of the seats for acoustic treatments while they record the symphony. Are there other typical times you can influence a treatment in environment in recording situations outside recording studio, or is it really unique (IE, I can see how a recording label is going to be setting a controlled environment)?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 54
Is this the original recording session for this single?
Nope.
The sync for Karen Carpenter’s lips and drums looks uncannily real to me.
They don’t look good to me. On the other hand I’ve been involved in a few music vids and many other cases where we had to sync a visual music performance with a separate recording, so I’m probably a bit more sensitive to and aware of the tricks used to achieve it.

For example, if you know what you’re looking for: Sometimes you just can’t get a take (video take) that syncs properly with the recording. However a solution that sometimes works is to move the vid relative to the sound by a beat/hit. The only problem is that if the vid is say one hit earlier than the music you need to cut to that shot a beat/hit later so you don’t see that first hit where there isn’t one. Have a close look at the drum fill at 1:51. It’s out of sync by a beat and you see the first hit but don’t hear it.

There are a few minor lip sync issues in places. Nothing too obvious but slightly wrong if you’re used to looking for that sort of thing. There’s a big corker at 2:04 though: The flute player stops playing and starts singing but the flute continues playing accompaniment on the recording. Don’t forget, there would have been several/numerous takes from several angles. Then a vid editor would have slaved over it for a few days, so you’re only seeing close-ups for short periods where good sync was achieved. When this vid was made the technology had advanced and they’d been doing commercial music vids routinely for well over a decade. Early ones were pretty ropey but they got better by the mid ‘60s or so. Today we’ve got better tech and more tricks to provide solutions.
Any basics to learn from this video, if it is the real recording session?
Yep, a lot of basics to learn, all to do with video editing though! :)

G

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 54
So I live in Atlanta, whose symphony has a label with Telarc.
I did a gig in Atlanta with the Symphony Orch many years ago.
Are there other typical times you can influence a treatment in environment in recording situations, or is it really unique…
It’s certainly not unique, in some situations it’s completely standard practice. Film/TV will commonly use sound blankets on set, sometimes lots of them, they’ll also put down carpets or rugs (if it’s out of shot obviously). Pretty standard practice for decades. In studios and when recording orchestras we’ll often use acoustic panels/screens between sections of the orch. There are numerous examples, for example some modern concert halls have adjustable acoustic properties. Symphony Hall in Birmingham (UK) has a big control panel backstage, covered in knobs and buttons to open/close baffles all around the walls, lower the ceiling over the stage and various other acoustic options.

In the 1870’s Wagner built a concert hall in Beyreuth. He had extra padding put on parts of all the seats. So if the hall was empty or partially empty, the empty seats absorbed more sound so there was less impact on the acoustics without an audience.

G

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 54
I did a gig in Atlanta with the Symphony Orch many years ago.

It’s certainly not unique, in some situations it’s completely standard practice. Film/TV will commonly use sound blankets on set, sometimes lots of them, they’ll also put down carpets or rugs (if it’s out of shot obviously). Pretty standard practice for decades. In studios and when recording orchestras we’ll often use acoustic panels/screens between sections of the orch. There are numerous examples, for example some modern concert halls have adjustable acoustic properties. Symphony Hall in Birmingham (UK) has a big control panel backstage, covered in knobs and buttons to open/close baffles all around the walls, lower the ceiling over the stage and various other acoustic options.

In the 1870’s Wagner built a concert hall in Beyreuth. He had extra padding put on parts of all the seats. So if the hall was empty or partially empty, the empty seats absorbed more sound so there was less impact on the acoustics without an audience.

G
Atlanta has been growing if you ever make it round again: it's still exploding in the last few years, and is the film industry outside Hollywood (we've got Pinewood here too now).

Just wondering, have you recorded Vienna Operahouse? Have family ties: have an aunt who was singer (before they burn you out after the age of 35). Theoritically, doesn't have to be that...know Prague was chosen for Amadeus because of the period buildings and opera houses. Just wondering if the acoustics of a 18th century theater is more challenging than a modern auditorium (especially a new one that's got all sorts of engineering and architectural design, and recording features you list).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 54
I may be mistaken but I think that (normal?) piano sound could not come from that electric piano (Wurlitzer?) in the video.
No, it couldn’t and certainly not 2 different pianos (panned left and right) from one electronic keyboard! There’s lots of things, obviously backing vox and strings (already mentioned) but even other things we see, the trumpet couldn’t have been recorded like that.

As a rule of thumb, vids of bands “recording” in a studio are faked.
Just wondering, have you recorded Vienna Operahouse?
I’ve been in the opera house but not recorded there. I’ve worked in the Sofiensaal and Musikverein.
Just wondering if the acoustics of a 18th century theater is more challenging than a modern auditorium (especially a new one that's got all sorts of engineering and architectural design).
Generally “yes” some C18th are a bit of a nightmare. Modern ones, particularly those in the last 30 years, usually employ complex computer modelling of the acoustics, architects can tweak and play around with all sorts of acoustic solutions/tricks before they even lay the foundations. Some of the big budget recent ones I’ve heard really are a huge leap forward. There were some real pigs though, even in the 1980’s. Most famously, The Barbican Hall was built specifically to be the new home for the London Symphony Orchestra. It cost tens of millions and the LSO refused to play there until they fixed the acoustics. It took millions more and still isn’t particularly good!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back