[ASK] LittleDot MK IV SE or HifiMan EF5 (For K702 & HD650)
Jun 13, 2010 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

drapoel

New Head-Fier
Dear Members,

Hallo i am a newcomer, have one difficult question in mind
smile.gif

Which one is better between LittleDot MK IV SE and Hifiman EF5 for driving HD650 & K702? I want to pair it also with Dr DAC2 DX or Cambridge DACMagic or Audio-GD 19MK3 (i haven't decided yet which DAC should i choose among three of them)

My music genre is vocal, violin, and guitar. (slow jazz, audiophile, and country)

Thanks for your response..

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 7
The two share completely different designs. IIRC the EF5 is a hybrid (tube/solid state) and the MKIV has an OTL design. You must decide what you want from your amp.

The phones you have are completely different and need different amping for them to shine. I think a solid state amp will give you more versatility in that case. You may want to consider something like the Audio-GD C2C for example. It seems to be a very nice amp from what I have read.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
The two share completely different designs. IIRC the EF5 is a hybrid (tube/solid state) and the MKIV has an OTL design. You must decide what you want from your amp.

The phones you have are completely different and need different amping for them to shine. I think a solid state amp will give you more versatility in that case. You may want to consider something like the Audio-GD C2C for example. It seems to be a very nice amp from what I have read.

Well then. i think i will let my K702 go. Because i just want have simpe setup (one or two headphones, one DAC, one amplifier).

Ok, let say i only have HD650, then what's your suggestion? Littletdot MK IV SE or Hifiman EF5?

Thanks so much....

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 7
I find my LD as good as the Auditor but different. Atm I'm enjoying it a bit more than the Auditor.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Well then. i think i will let my K702 go. Because i just want have simpe setup (one or two headphones, one DAC, one amplifier).

Ok, let say i only have HD650, then what's your suggestion? Littletdot MK IV SE or Hifiman EF5?

Thanks so much....

Really couldn't say. Haven't heard the EF5... What I do know however is that the MKIII and MKIV SE really don't sound that different. I would save some cash and go for the MKIII, it's quite a bit cheaper.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 7
This is a tough question because I don't like the HD650 or K702 very much.  I do like the HD600, but I find the HD650 to be darker and bassier sounding with less sparkle.  The only amp I liked the HD650 with was a friend's Zana Deux, which is 5-6x over your budget.

I usually prefer the WA6 over my EF5 for it's refinement and larger soundstage, but the EF5 has more power for more difficult to drive phones like the HD650 or HE-5 LE.  I suspect the Nuforce HDP would also be a good choice for the HD650, and you might want to consider that as well.  The HDP compares well to the EF-5, and has an added advantage of working with IEM better and including a nice DAC.

I have not heard any LD amps.  Back when the big question was "Dark Voice 336i vs Little Dot" I went with the Dark Voice.  With $100 worth of upgraded tubes (Sylvania VT-231 and Tung Sol 5998) it was great with HD600 and suspect would also do well with HD650.  I'm not sure it would be better than the EF5 but the 336i was slightly better with HD600 than the earlier EF1 (although EF1 was better with everything else like Gradom Denon and Ultrasone, yet still good with HD600).

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
This is a tough question because I don't like the HD650 or K702 very much.  I do like the HD600, but I find the HD650 to be darker and bassier sounding with less sparkle.  The only amp I liked the HD650 with was a friend's Zana Deux, which is 5-6x over your budget.

I usually prefer the WA6 over my EF5 for it's refinement and larger soundstage, but the EF5 has more power for more difficult to drive phones like the HD650 or HE-5 LE.  I suspect the Nuforce HDP would also be a good choice for the HD650, and you might want to consider that as well.  The HDP compares well to the EF-5, and has an added advantage of working with IEM better and including a nice DAC.

I have not heard any LD amps.  Back when the big question was "Dark Voice 336i vs Little Dot" I went with the Dark Voice.  With $100 worth of upgraded tubes (Sylvania VT-231 and Tung Sol 5998) it was great with HD600 and suspect would also do well with HD650.  I'm not sure it would be better than the EF5 but the 336i was slightly better with HD600 than the earlier EF1 (although EF1 was better with everything else like Gradom Denon and Ultrasone, yet still good with HD600).

Hi thanks Larry for your response.. I will try to find out more about NuForce HDP.

Anymore considerations guys? Thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back