ASIO4All Explanation
Dec 11, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #391 of 479
Ah, you are right. Today, I installed Foobar2000+asio4all on my laptop. Only the gui and the ui in general slightly changed. With my ER-4S, my laptop sounds great now!

With Foobar2000's volume control at max, and window's volume control at minimum, the volume is still too loud (with my ER-4S). Too bad window's volume control sucks.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #394 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegummy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
newbie question. I just installed Foobar+Asio4all and played it through USB into my DAC. Does it pass through my soundcard at all?

Not at all. (unless you've got a USB soundcard, but I'm assuming that's not the case)

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #395 of 479
Quote:

newbie question. I just installed Foobar+Asio4all and played it through USB into my DAC. Does it pass through my soundcard at all?

nope as the ASIO will detect your DAC through USB then the sound signal will transmit to your DAC without the need of passing through your soundcard again.

Cheerz.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #396 of 479
Double posted
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #397 of 479
Quote:

While music is playing, you can open the ASIO4ALL GUI from the system tray and it will show the devices it's seeing. If you move your cursor next to the plus sign for each device, it will show the device status as either active or idle. If it's idle, it's not in use.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #398 of 479
XP Audio:
Here is a simple picture of how the audio-architecture in XP works:

XPAudio.png

As you can see only ASIO and OpenAL will go straight to the lowest level of driver and bypass everything else.

Vista Audio:

VistaAudioSimple.png

This picture shows just one audio application. What should be clear about this is that for every single audio application launched a separate WASAPI instance will be launched as well.

For games that use OpenAL there will be no significant changes. However, there is quite the change in using Direct Sound or EAX in games. There is no possibility anymore to go straight from a Direct Sound application to the audio drivers or the hardware. This results in the following: no more hardware acceleration. The point of Direct Sound acceleration is to let the hardware process unmixed audio content. For more information you can go here. This link will take you to the Creative forums.

The meaning of the abbreviations used in this model:
WASAPI - Windows Audio Session API
API - Application Programming Interface
APO - Audio Processing Object
CPT - Cross Process Transport
KST - Kernel Streaming Transport

Originally sourced from this post.

[size=xx-small]Sorry to repost this but I only an adaption of the post for a piece I'm writing. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #400 of 479
i'm sure this has been answered a hundred times in this thread, but can someone explain how asio4all benefits your sound when you're already using an external DAC? i thought the point of the DAC was to bypass anything going on in the computer.

also - are the links in the OP still good and up to date if i choose to attempt the setup?

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #401 of 479
so i had a half hour to spare and decided to set this up via foobar with no issues.

i'm using foobar 0.9.6.1 with asio4all 2.9. i followed everything in the first post to get it set up. is all the asio settings and whatnot still up to date or are there better ways to set up at this point? i do notice on the screenshot that says "kernel buffer" it goes up to 4 max, where as on 2.9 that section is now called buffer offset and can go all the way up to 20. are they even the same and if so, should i stick with 4?

i'm only using a 3move and don't have time to get any listening in right now to see if i can hear a difference, should i be able to?

also what buffer length does everyone use? i'm not sure what it is. i also noticed dither was unchecked but what is that?

i'd still like to know briefly though how asio is beneficial when using an outside DAC.

edit: i noticed it's playing in 44100Hz stereo, the same Hz it was playing in before i installed asio4all, is this right? obviously you can tell by now i know nothing about this stuff but just trying to verify it is actually working correctly.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #402 of 479
Hello,

I'm using out_asio(exe).dll (exe version) Ver. 0.70 and ASIO4ALL 2.9 on Windows XP, Winamp 5.541, with Creative Audigy 2 ZS. I have a few problems:

1) When I select Creative ASIO, Winamp doesn't play anything unless I enable resampling and choose 48000Hz as sample rate. I've read that no resample gives the best sound. Why can't I disable resample?

2) When I select ASIO4ALL, I can disable resample but the major problem is that everytime I minimize or maximize any windows to/from taskbar, the song skips, it jumps for a very short moment. Is that normal?

Any feedback will be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

And

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #403 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by inF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) When I select Creative ASIO, Winamp doesn't play anything unless I enable resampling and choose 48000Hz as sample rate. I've read that no resample gives the best sound. Why can't I disable resample?

Hi.

For as far as I know there is an option which disables resampling on your soundcard. You should try to find someone with a Creative card like yours and ask them since I don't own the card myself.

It could also be that you can't disable the resampling because I know creative really likes to do so.

Quote:

2) When I select ASIO4ALL, I can disable resample but the major problem is that everytime I minimize or maximize any windows to/from taskbar, the song skips, it jumps for a very short moment. Is that normal?

Only thing I can think of right now is a buffersize which is too low. Might also be other things though. I've had cracks when using Java on the internet. Try linux.
biggrin.gif
If the buffersize doesn't fix it try looking up threads on this subject. There have been quite a lot of them.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #404 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi.

For as far as I know there is an option which disables resampling on your soundcard. You should try to find someone with a Creative card like yours and ask them since I don't own the card myself.

It could also be that you can't disable the resampling because I know creative really likes to do so.

There is a section "SPDIF I/O" in Creative Audio Console and under it, "Digital Output (PCM) Sampling Rate Settings" can be set to either 48 Khz or 96 Khz, but changing it makes no difference to my ears. I think it's related to this setting, but how can it be impossible to disable resample in Creative ASIO, but possible to disable it in ASIO4ALL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing I can think of right now is a buffersize which is too low. Might also be other things though. I've had cracks when using Java on the internet. Try linux.
biggrin.gif
If the buffersize doesn't fix it try looking up threads on this subject. There have been quite a lot of them.

Bingo! 896 samples avoid skips, thank you very much
smily_headphones1.gif
But that's a relatively high value, isn't it?

Finally, which ASIO do you recommend me to use, and with which settings? At the moment, they are as follows:

Creative ASIO:

ASIO4ALL:

Thank you.

EDIT: I apologize if I'm asking things explained before - which is probably the case
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm browsing the topic at the moment.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #405 of 479
Quote:

There is a section "SPDIF I/O" in Creative Audio Console and under it, "Digital Output (PCM) Sampling Rate Settings" can be set to either 48 Khz or 96 Khz, but changing it makes no difference to my ears. I think it's related to this setting, but how can it be impossible to disable resample in Creative ASIO, but possible to disable it in ASIO4ALL?

Good question. No idea really. I think you should be able to disable it somehow. I just don't know how myself since I don't own the card.

Quote:

Bingo! 896 samples avoid skips, thank you very much
smily_headphones1.gif
But that's a relatively high value, isn't it?

Nah, for playback it's just fine. Only when using a device for recording purposes you would want to set your latency much lower.

Quote:

Finally, which ASIO do you recommend me to use, and with which settings

I would recommend you use the Creative ASIO if you can get it to play at the orginal bitrate of the song. If you can't just stick with ASIO4All.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back