ASIO4All Explanation
Oct 1, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #196 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the problem with persists when using the Micro is it possible it's just the Micro's USB implementation itself?

Yes, very possible as well. I used a Porta Corda with USB as well with my laptop which had similar cracks sometimes. (when not using the computer for anything else) Now, that I've got a Stello DA100 I have yet to hear a single crack.

Most likely higher end USB DACs are better suited to reduce or completely get rid of jitter or the likes. Don't ask me how that works exactly as I am not knowledgeable enough on that subject to give an answer that will be a 100% correct. There are other people here however that can.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #197 of 479
It's not really a crack per say, more like a skip but it's interesting to note that you've had similar issues that went away with a new DAC.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #198 of 479
I have the 24 bit 96000Hz FLAC vinyl rip of Tool's Lateralus.

Basically SACD style quality.

But I can't get it to work with my Headphone/DAC amp.

It's going out through the USB but it just doesn't work.

The only way I can get it to play is if I resample it (via Foobar) to 48000Hz... but wouldn't that sample it DOWN and make the quality less than it should?

This is my ASIO4all screen

as.JPG

I'm using the iBasso D1 amp, if that's any help.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #199 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way I can get it to play is if I resample it (via Foobar) to 48000Hz... but wouldn't that sample it DOWN and make the quality less than it should?

The iBasso is simply not able to play such files. Your only option is to resample them so that it can. This will decrease the SQ. If you want to play these files without resampling you will need another DAC.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #200 of 479
That's a relief to be honest mate.

I've just been debugging some major Linux problems, so I'm glad this isn't in the realms of fixing.

Will be using the D1 for portable w/optical mostly... so having it for my PC is a bonus.

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #201 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a relief to be honest mate.

I've just been debugging some major Linux problems, so I'm glad this isn't in the realms of fixing.

Will be using the D1 for portable w/optical mostly... so having it for my PC is a bonus.

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

On average you will be able to use it with your computer since most files (most likelyl; I am just assuming this) come directly from a standard CD (which is 44.1 kHz/16-bit) and the iBasso shouldn't have any problems playing those.

There is always the option of using the analog outputs of your soundcard.

Edit: assuming your soundcard is able to play higher bit and sample rates.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #202 of 479
I thought I will contribute on how I get rid of my ticks and pops noise.

1. If you are using a desktop or laptop which does not have too much horse power, eg pentium III or II then do the following:

a. get rid of any unwanted programs ie those running in the foreground or
background.
b. defrag the harddisk so that retrieving music files would be much quicker
c. make the music frontend, winamp, foobar running above normal priority,
I think this is optional. Run one music frontend one at time, ie close
those unwanted ones.
d. use enough data(music)buffer size, eg. 2 Mbytes from foobar

the last few are specified by Steve Nugent from this writeup

e. Insure a large RAM size for data caching

f. Specify fast seek-time and fast spindle rate hard disk drive

I use a fairly low speed laptop, 900Mhz PIII, IBM - T22 running windows XP pro. The HD is running at 5400rpm. There are some HD running at lower speed, eg 4200rpm

It runs very well, using Flac, Wav, directly from HD or directly from an external or internal DVD or CD ROM. There does not seem to be any break in the music unless one is assessing files or execute another program. If it running by itself ,it runs smoothly without any interruptions in the music.

Thanks, Enoyin for your input.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #204 of 479
I am unclear in my understanding of how asio4all will or will not be effective using a USB DAC (iBasso D1 or Opera) with Vista operating system and FooBar2000 - can anyone help me with this?

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #205 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am unclear in my understanding of how asio4all will or will not be effective using a USB DAC (iBasso D1 or Opera) with Vista operating system and FooBar2000 - can anyone help me with this?

Can you be slightly more specific in what you actually want to know, since I am unsure about this.

I'll try to answer it anyway though.

Will it work with Vista?

Yes, I think it will.

Will there be an audible difference?

I doubt it. Vista's audio architecture is a lot better than the one made for XP.

Should you install ASIO4All?

Well, only if you intend to use it for recording purposes or intend to use it with a DTS compatible receiver. (and most likely the last will work without ASIO)

I hope that answers your question. If not do not hesitate to ask here or by PM.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #206 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you be slightly more specific in what you actually want to know, since I am unsure about this.

I'll try to answer it anyway though.

Will it work with Vista?

Yes, I think it will.

Will there be an audible difference?

I doubt it. Vista's audio architecture is a lot better than the one made for XP.

Should you install ASIO4All?

Well, only if you intend to use it for recording purposes or intend to use it with a DTS compatible receiver. (and most likely the last will work without ASIO)

I hope that answers your question. If not do not hesitate to ask here or by PM.

Many thanks - this answers the points exactly that I was uncertain about.

Best regards

IanRtt

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #207 of 479
Excellent thread! I had no intention of installing this before I read this thread. Until I get my M-Audio card, I have been using my built-in sound card since my Audigy is garbage. Using this program even with my crappy $60 computer speakers makes the music sound much more natural and spacious. I guess you never really think about how polluted audio can be until you hear it bit-perfect. I'm really amazed.
smily_headphones1.gif
The listening experience just keeps getting better and better.

Now all they need is an ASIO plug-in for iTunes. Foobar doesn't have an impressive GUI (like Cover Flow) for ease of use.

If you use a sound card which has built in ASIO, will it work with iTunes?

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #208 of 479
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use a sound card which has built in ASIO, will it work with iTunes?

For as far as I know you would still need some kind of plugin to make it work. (and sorry for the extremely delayed reply
redface.gif
) Must have had something to do with a small outage.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #209 of 479
I have an X-fi Xtreme Music sound card and use Winamp. I tried using the Winamp plugin with the creative AISO driver, but i get really bad popping noises with it. What could be causing this? and should i try using AISO4all instead?

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #210 of 479
whats a good sound card to get? my Realtek AC97 doesnt support ASIO...I dont need a card to record or anything, just something that will allow me to tinker with the stuff and actually work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back