Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Oct 24, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #1,351 of 2,994
SCHOOL FOOD PUNISHMENT IS AWESOME! BIG FAN OF THEM.....unfortunately they dismissed this year....got to listen to all their albums....

Aha, that's sad. If I remember correctly they did the music to an anime I enjoyed. I don't follow jpop news, so I don't get to know any of the details. I mainly listen to jpop through Internet radio stations, since there are so few other streaming alternatives.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,353 of 2,994

Let me post some more legit stuff before i get flamed for being too "generic".
tongue_smile.gif

... this Chinese metal band is pretty legit. Fuses traditional Chinese instruments effortlessly with contemporary metal.

... me likey!!!

Epic. I didn't know there was still a metal scene in China, since underground music never really go anywhere there. This is probably the best metal I've heard from China thus far (and I've been paying attention since the mid-90's). These guys deserve to get the same level attention as Cthonic (a Taiwanese metal band that I think has been posted here previously--they also fuse traditional Chinese instruments into their arrangements). Personally, I think the hotness of their leader/bassist Doris Yeh is more interesting than their music (that particular style of metal is not really my thing). So with that said, I'll just post pics of Doris, and you guys can go search for their music videos and live videos:

Another Taiwanese metal band:

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,354 of 2,994

Epic. I didn't know there was still a metal scene in China, since underground music never really go anywhere there. This is probably the best metal I've heard from China thus far (and I've been paying attention since the mid-90's). These guys deserve to get the same level attention as Cthonic (a Taiwanese metal band that I think has been posted here previously--they also fuse traditional Chinese instruments into their arrangements). Personally, I think the hotness of their leader/bassist Doris Yeh is more interesting than their music (that particular style of metal is not really my thing). So with that said, I'll just post pics of Doris, and you guys can go search for their music videos and live videos:

Another Taiwanese metal band:

^ HOLY SCHIIT MUST LOOK UP DORIS.............................................. for music "integrity" sake.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks meng, see why can't Twinkies @ss post legit stuff like this sheeeeesh, can't Fffs with that long winded sleep inducing music of his.
tongue.gif

Don't even have to listen to her music and i am already a stan, that's how great this post is. SOLD!!!

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #1,355 of 2,994
I thought that Maradou guy started it, he's not the leader? I dunno. I don't have the attention span for metal anymore, which is a shame. I have a couple of their CDs but they lie in the archives untouched.

I enjoy Touming Magazine because I'm a nub.

Actually, speaking of Dorises, anyone watch Taipei Exchange? It's got that surrealistic dreamy vibe I'm looking for in my film compilation - the rest of it's not much to speak about but the vibe is interesting.
Something from their OST.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,356 of 2,994
Hahahahahaa, I found the song I wrote for Nicky Wu's 1995 album (when I worked in the Taiwanese music industry)。 It's the 7th song on the album (starts at 28:30), titled "暴風雨," which means "Rainstorm." I wrote the lyrics and the music, and although my demo had complete arrangement (and sung by a friend of mine), the producer had another arranger do the arrangement for the album. I kind of prefer my own arrangement, since his approach was a bit too conventional for my taste (really don't like those background vocals. My arrangement was more progressive and acid jazz).

The song's actually very personal, and when I wrote it, it was never meant to be sold to some mainstream popstar--it was supposed to be for my own solo stuff. But when Nicky's talent agency wanted to buy it, I thought I better agree in order to get my foot in the door of the industry. 

The song's basically about how when couple's fight, they have have this cold war of silent storm that rages between them, where they don't speak to each other, or say really cold/cruel things to each other, and when they fight often enough, this hurtful behavior becomes the norm between them, and they start to wonder if they'd ever see the sunshine again in their relationship. The idea for the song came directly from the relationship I was having at the time, where we were always fighting and I was so damaged by my ex's emotional cruelty. Looking back, I can't believe I took all her B.S. for so long--she was such a heartless bitch (and she admitted this years later, and apologized for treating me so badly).

Listening to it now, I hear all the things I could have done better as a songwriter. But hey, I was only 22 at the time (Nicky was 23 at the time), and I was totally self-taught and had only been doing music for about 3.5 years (I started to play by ear when I was 18, during senior year in high school). 

I really disliked the Taiwanese mainstream music scene back then--it was so commercialized and unhip, and anything that was strayed from the conventions didn't have a chance of making a living in music. I was really into stuff like industrial, progressive house, acid jazz, so after I sold that one song to Nicky's talent agency, I got the hell out of Taiwan (went back to the States and worked on my graphic novels series, "Enchanted," for the next 4 years). After that, I did some scoring for games/film, and then switched focus on writing novels. I might get back into music once I get a book or two published--maybe write some songs for the Kpop scene, or even a solo album. Not sure if I want to do more scoring--I kind of miss songwriting more than scoring.

Moving on.

Classic acid jazz from Mondo Grosso:

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,357 of 2,994
  I thought that Maradou guy started it, he's not the leader? I dunno. I don't have the attention span for metal anymore, which is a shame. I have a couple of their CDs but they lie in the archives untouched.

Doris took over as the leader. BTW, Freddie and Doris are husband and wife. Shows who's the boss in the marriage, eh? :D

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #1,359 of 2,994
Holy schiit.

This person is the greatest person that has ever personed.

I've spent hours after each episode trying to find the songs playing, and he does it yet again, he completely outdid me.

I'm only halfway cleared ep.2, and there's been some significant gaps in between. He's managed to get all the way up to the most recent episode, no holes.

This person is the greatest person that has ever personed.

https://followingkpop.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/playlist-answer-me-1994/

There are just things in there that I remember the tune for but cannot for the life of me remember the name - I don't know how he does it but he makes me feel completely inadequate as a human being.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,362 of 2,994
  Had Dunkin Donuts for the first time in years. Reminded me of a Korean show from back in 06.

Which then reminded me of this song

There's something special about the combination of bossa nova and E.Asian female vocals--it's like the perfect combination. S.American and western styled vocals for bossa nova tends to focus on either a deeper and more mature voice (which isn't my preference), or a really amateurish sounding voice that lacks any expressiveness or technique (like some annoying teenager who can't sing). But bossa nova from Japan, Korea, and Chinese-speaking countries have that soft, feminine, or breathy voice, which goes so well with the soothing vibe of the style.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,363 of 2,994
I don't remember if I've posted this, but it's this Japanese girl who does covers of 80's J-Pop (one of the main soundtracks of my life) in that acoustic indie style, and she goes by the name of "Sundaytube." It's really cute and soothing. She's done a few original songs too in the same style--here are a few of her original songs:

A few of her covers:

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,364 of 2,994
^ Good stuff ya'll!!!

Kinda random but does anyone know the dood that did the score for the OST of this move???
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445609/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_25

It's a schiity movie overall cuz it was basically style over substance but this theme song really caught me ear. I think the dood that did it is pretty famous but doesn't have THAT much work out there. Just wondering if anyone of ya'll know who is he or have any of this scores/ works in your collection. Thanks in advance!!!

Here is the track, simple yet so catchy. Makes for a good ring tone. : P

Sounds so good with this Canton verse as well. <333s

Or anyone that have catchy songs/ artists that has similar style/mood as this song??? Would love to know of some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back