Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Feb 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #646 of 2,994

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #648 of 2,994
Nice. She has potential, but quite a few things to correct with that song/performance. Love her voice, but she needs to enunciate better and finish her words clearly. The accompaniment lacks flow and her vocal response isn't varied enough to match the oddly placed dynamic changes. Her style isn't consistent and the addition of the staccato guitar with matching vocal was... weird, especially if only doing it once in the song.

All fixable and she has a great base to build from. These are things that separate the good from the great.

edit: Listened to some of the stuff she covers on her channel and stuff that's written for her already, or she merely has to arrange is much better.

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #649 of 2,994
Can I just ask what headphones do you guys think are best for k-pop and j-pop. 

I've been wracking my brains for over 2 months and ended up spending money on headphones/earphones that do not work well with these genres (sennheiser HD558, Soundmagic E10, Koss KSc75).

Both J-pop/k-pop tend to use completely synthesised sounds.The kind of artists I'm talking about are SNSD, Super Junior, SHINee, F(x), I.e all the mainstream ones. 

For j-pop I don't really have 1 favourite artist, all my favourite songs are those found in anime openings/closing (Naruto, Bleach, One piece, Gintama). 

From my understanding of what they are supposed to sound like, they would need a lot of bass and impact, and music should have enough "physical" presence to allow you to feel all the different notes. Analytical headphones would not work hear. 

I want to give a lot more information but I'll just get an idea of what people use first. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #651 of 2,994

Quote:
Nice. She has potential, but quite a few things to correct with that song/performance. Love her voice, but she needs to enunciate better and finish her words clearly. The accompaniment lacks flow and her vocal response isn't varied enough to match the oddly placed dynamic changes. Her style isn't consistent and the addition of the staccato guitar with matching vocal was... weird, especially if only doing it once in the song.
All fixable and she has a great base to build from. These are things that separate the good from the great.
edit: Listened to some of the stuff she covers on her channel and stuff that's written for her already, or she merely has to arrange is much better.

The way she enunciates reminds me of Bic Runga a bit. 

That staccato bit was supposed to reflect the lyrics about the "dotted line," but yet, it's a little disconcerting. 

From the videos, you'd think she was just a bedroom singer/songwriter who uploads her homemade videos, but she's in fact an established musical artist: http://www.inchchua.com/about

Quote:

I've been wracking my brains for over 2 months and ended up spending money on headphones/earphones that do not work well with these genres (sennheiser HD558, Soundmagic E10, Koss KSc75).

Both J-pop/k-pop tend to use completely synthesised sounds.The kind of artists I'm talking about are SNSD, Super Junior, SHINee, F(x), I.e all the mainstream ones. 

For j-pop I don't really have 1 favourite artist, all my favourite songs are those found in anime openings/closing (Naruto, Bleach, One piece, Gintama). 

From my understanding of what they are supposed to sound like, they would need a lot of bass and impact, and music should have enough "physical" presence to allow you to feel all the different notes. Analytical headphones would not work hear. 

I want to give a lot more information but I'll just get an idea of what people use first. 

The mentality that certain headphones work best with certain genres of music is a very misguided one. People have to stop thinking in those terms. You should take a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/564465/misconception-of-neutral-accurate#post_7634871

The best thing you can do is to find the most neutral/accurate headphone within your price range, period. There's no more to it than that. If any audio reproduction device is closer to being neutral/accurate, it'll automatically work better across a wider range of musical styles. You never try to cater audio devices to musical genres. That's like saying you want to buy a TV that's best for watching action genre movies. It makes no sense at all, because you'd want your TV to be as accurate/neutral as possible so you can watch anything on it, instead of being only good for one genre.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #653 of 2,994

Quote:
On another thread this Korean electro-disco group was mentioned. Cassette Schwarzenegger. 

Thanks for this post, mutabor! Last night, I found myself reviewing "Super Hi Fi" and thought it was alright. Moved on to other contributions on these pages and that was that. 
wink_face.gif
 Or was it?! Apparently, it's sneaky! It crept into my head in the middle of the night. Catchy too, I found myself humming along later in the day. 
smiley_thumb.gif
 Now I flat out like it!  

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #654 of 2,994

Quote:

I was looking for headphones that go well with J/K-pop as well back in the day. People suggested me the Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ESW9/10, and Beyer DT770's for closed-back headphones. I'm not sure about open-back. I'm going to guess some of the Audio Technica headphones are great for vocals.

Quote:
Inside the listening room, when silence gets broken... might as well be Exist Trace.
beerchug.gif

I'm not a fan of exist†trace's death metal, but I like HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR. Both artists were featured at the Sakura-Con event in Seattle, WA (HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR in 2009, exist†trace in 2010). I should have purchased an exist†trace album so they could autograph it. >_<

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #655 of 2,994
I don't even know why I subscribed to this thread anymore.
I generally don't really listen all that much to J/K-pop, although I have recently fell in love with Tokyo Jihen. Do any of you guys know any similar stuff? Are any other projects Ringo Shiina engaged in worth it as well?

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #658 of 2,994

Quote:
Thanks for this post, mutabor! Last night, I found myself reviewing "Super Hi Fi" and thought it was alright. Moved on to other contributions on these pages and that was that. 
wink_face.gif
 Or was it?! Apparently, it's sneaky! It crept into my head in the middle of the night. Catchy too, I found myself humming along later in the day. 
smiley_thumb.gif
 Now I flat out like it!  

Yeah, Super Hi-Fi and Play are catchy. I also enjoyed their videos. It seems that these videos were made by a Korean studio which also made this one. You should watch it - it's fun.
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #659 of 2,994
I decided to check what our neighbors in Uzbekistan are producing in the music front and found this guy. He is not famous yet as a singer but weirdly he has established himself as a bellydancer 
basshead.gif
 ( and he dances like a woman in his bellydance videos). And he looks more like a Kazakh rather than Uzbek. I wish I looked like this guy. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #660 of 2,994
Some of my favorite japanese music

Tokyo Jihen - Himitsu

Tokyo Jihen . Marounouchi Sadistic

Sotaisei Riron - Cinderella (not my favorite song from them but there´s not much on youtube)

Tokyo Jihen - Shuruba

METALLLLLLLLL
Maximum the Hormone - What´s up people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back