Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Oct 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #436 of 2,994

Quote:
These Asian pop acts are extremely image conscious, so they are always changing their looks in order to keep things fresh and exciting. 

As for the name thing, many Asian musical acts or celebrities in general have at least two names--one in their own language, and one in English. In this case Girls' Generation is really their "official" name, while SNSD is more like a popularized nickname that's the abbreviation of the English phonetic pronunciation of their Korean name. In countries that understand Chinese characters, they are known as 少女時代 (means "Girls' Generation"). SNSD also works in Chinese because Korean language is rooted in Chinese (so is Japanese), and the Chinese pronunciation is "Sao Nyuee Si Dai" (phonetic, not ping-ying), which also abbreviates to SNSD.

Thanks for the detailed information.  I was confused.

They look attractive in appearance, but I am more interested in the voices of singers.  I am not criticizing SNSD, and I think they are good as talented entertainers.  I am just looking for natural born singers.  Some people just are born with the talent.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #437 of 2,994
In those large pop groups, you'll usually find that the 'least attractive' member (though beauty is in the eye of the beholder) is the one who has the best pair of lungs, and a lot of the rest of the squad are backup singers.  The only non-skinny guy in Super Junior seems responsible for most of the more impressive vocal parts.  Even in S.E.S, Bada was clearly the best singer (and there was a rumor that she was going to be a solo member), Eugene was the looker, and Shoo was fluent in Japanese for crossover appeal.  SM might not have put the group together with that orientation, but those are some of their greatest individual strengths which matched well for commercial success.

I'm starting to find autotune much more prevalent in Kpop which is unfortunate.  Not sure about Jpop as my ear can't always pick up on those things.

Some of the really good Kpop singer live perfs, where they actually aren't lipsyncing to a mic, are pretty amazing, though.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #439 of 2,994
Too much dancing now, or not enough cardio?
wink.gif

I need to dig up an older BoA vid of her dancing and singing at the same time... a Japan perf iirc.  Lip syncing seems more accepted in Korea.  Would be interested in thoughts from anyone actually located in Asia.

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #441 of 2,994

Quote:
Too much dancing now, or not enough cardio?
wink.gif

I need to dig up an older BoA vid of her dancing and singing at the same time... a Japan perf iirc.  Lip syncing seems more accepted in Korea.  Would be interested in thoughts from anyone actually located in Asia.

Some singers performed live, like those who sung ballad or "rock". But yeah, a lot of idols in the 90's (H.O.T, S.E.S, Fin.Kl, heck you'd could even go as far as Deux and Taiji and Boys era) because the broadcasting station actually wanted it that way. Of course I am sure ther were lots of artists who were happy... since they didn't have to perform live xD.

But nowadays, lipsync is frowned upon in Korea. It's a def a no no, people rather hear their artists perform terrible while gasping for air rather than listen pre-recorded performance. Unless the singer is performing on a weekly music program and has a sore throat or somethi. Of course, as much as it's frowned upon... fangirls and fanboys will defend their artists if they ever do lipsync.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #442 of 2,994
I'll try to upload a couple BoA videos I have where she is actually singing and it of course is excellent because she actually has talent, but you'll notice the dancers in the background have a much more physically strenuous dance than she does so she can keep her breath. I wish more 'live' performances were like this. Whoever came up with lip syncing should be shot, multiple times.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #444 of 2,994
Actually, someone already uploaded the video I was going to show you. Here it is:

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #446 of 2,994
The fat guy in Super Junior, Shindong, is mainly a dancer/rapper for the group. Also, the main vocalist of Girl's Generation is one of the most popular in terms of looks also, so Im not sure how true the "less attractive/more vocal talent" remark holds in terms of idol groups today.

Also, Kpop on head-fi, I wouldve never thought, haha. Ive been following it closely since about 2009. SM Entertainment is holding a concert at Madison Square Garden tomorrow, October 23rd. If you are in the area and are interested in SNSD, Super Junior, TVXQ, BoA, or f(x) you should probably check it out.
Quote:
In those large pop groups, you'll usually find that the 'least attractive' member (though beauty is in the eye of the beholder) is the one who has the best pair of lungs, and a lot of the rest of the squad are backup singers.  The only non-skinny guy in Super Junior seems responsible for most of the more impressive vocal parts.  Even in S.E.S, Bada was clearly the best singer (and there was a rumor that she was going to be a solo member), Eugene was the looker, and Shoo was fluent in Japanese for crossover appeal.  SM might not have put the group together with that orientation, but those are some of their greatest individual strengths which matched well for commercial success.

I'm starting to find autotune much more prevalent in Kpop which is unfortunate.  Not sure about Jpop as my ear can't always pick up on those things.

Some of the really good Kpop singer live perfs, where they actually aren't lipsyncing to a mic, are pretty amazing, though.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #447 of 2,994
Eien's probably my favorite song from BoA these last few years, even considering that I generally prefer her Korean songs!  Great video too.  Makes me think of Ne-Yo and Michael Jackson.

I stopped keeping up with Kpop several years ago, and was mostly listening to a lot of LSY back then.  There's so much autotune that goes on with Super Junior that I have no idea whose singing what :)  They have great producers, though.  Their Sorry Sorry album has some really nice moments on electrostats.

The music videos all have ridiculously long intros, so you need to skip a few minutes in.

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #448 of 2,994

Quote:
Anyone know a good CD store in Manhattan with lots of asian pop releases (looking for Taiwanese and Korean pop CDs)?

there was not much to begin with and now, hardly much.  Some stores in Chinatown have some Kpop releases but in some places, it might not be genuine.  The best alternative is YesAsia.com.  I have tried to order some more rare CD releases from a Kstore in Ebay called Pandoramusic but that large order was a fiasco.  They sent it via some registered mail, the US post office "supposedly" left a notice, Pandora said it would take about 30 days, it took less than 10 but I did not find out about it until it was after 30+ days, after which the post office supposedly returns it to the send.  No way of knowing.  Beware of such problems.  Yesasia better, faster, as they ship out of California.  The prices in Ebay are better though.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #450 of 2,994
I accidentally stumbled upon E-Young of After School last night, and I was very impressed with her. She just might be one of the most talented and accomplished pop idol ever. At the tender age of 19, she's a multi-instrumentalist capable of playing at pro levels, dance at pro level, and when dolled up, look every bit as cute and sexy as any typical pop idol. Check her out:

Popping (she's the first girl):

Playing bass (until her finger bled):

Electric guitar, playing heavy metal (Yngwie Malmmsteen):

Performing as an idol in After School:

Playing drums:

Playing piano:

Her singing (notice that without makeup, she's very, very average looking--perhaps even below average for some people's standards):

As Elysian said, often, the most talented in the group is the least good-looking, though this merely a matter of mathematics. The chances of someone being both very talented and very attractive is much slimmer than someone simply being very talented. So when someone very talented with passable looks walk into a talent agency's door, they'll take them on, but doll them up as much as possible (and in some cases, not excluding plastic surgery, if the person does not object to it). There are definitely very talented people who will never get a shot at a talent agency because their looks are so below the average standard that no plastic surgery or makeup can do anything for them. These people would have to find an audience on their own via online and live shows, or go through indie companies that focus more on talent than looks. But the reality is this--ever notice that even among the indie and self-promoted artists, you rarely see someone that's just flat out ugly? Again, mathematics. The chances of someone being very talented with average looks is much higher than someone very talented but ugly as hell. And in most cases, you can turn an average looking person into someone that's at least above average with makeup and clothes. In the case of E-Young, she's lucky that even though her eyes aren't attractive, makeup really alters the perception of them, and the rest of her face is proportional enough that as soon as you do something about her eyes, she becomes a doll. She's also got great body proportions, so in slinky outfits, she can look as sexy as any pop idol. Add to that her dancing ability, there's no reason why she couldn't have been turned into an idol. The question is, with her musical skills, should she have been put into an idol group? Should she have been put into a band instead? She obviously enjoys being an idol, so perhaps she herself doesn't see it as "below her talent level" to be in an idol group.

As a side note, here's After School performing drumline on a track (I wondered if they are just miming it, but they demonstrated it live before without the backing music, teaching a variety show host how to play it, although I won't be surprised if what we hear during live shows are mostly from the backing track and their playing is barely audible):

I think it would be interesting if idol groups start to outdo each other in the talent aspect, each one-upping another by having amazing vocals, musicians, dancers, and so on. But in the end, what makes idol pop what it is, isn't the talent level, but the content/style of the music. It's really just disposable entertainment without much intellectual or emotional depth; essentially party music, songs aimed at adolescent kids, or trite love songs. So even if so-called "bands" are formed with "real" musicians and songwriters, but the content/style is still mostly the same stuff, then it's really just idol pop/rock (much like F.T. Island or CN Blue) and still not something that would impress the music critics. But pop is fun and entertaining, so the mainstream public eats it up. Hell, I'm a serious composer and I'm not immune to its charm either. Also, from the perspective of behind the scenes, the actual musicianship, composition, arrangement, and production value of some pop music is very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back