Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Dec 13, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,730 of 2,994
I find the Taiwanese/Hong Kong/China ballads really boring (and I'm saying this as a Taiwanese who used to write songs professionally for pop-stars in Taiwan). The ballads all sound pretty much the same, with the same kind of arrangement, melodic contours, and lyrically it's always about getting dumped/breaking up and crying over it. No matter how much poetic quality they try to inject into these songs in terms of lyrics, it's all just different variations upon the same template, and it's been like that for decades and decades. It's the same regurgitated stuff over and over and it is one of the main reasons why Chinese mainstream music is so boring compared to Japanese and Korean music. And when they're not turning out the same regurgitated ballads, they're copying/ripping off the Japanese and the South Koreans. But I suppose every country's music scene's got it's own issues, and I'm just extra annoyed by the Chinese mainstream music market because even when I was working in it, I hated how commercialized and lacking in innovation it was. I wrote songs that went against the mainstream template, trying to inject more edgy and experimental qualities from my American underground/alternative roots into what I wrote, but I was told by record company CEOs that the local market only wanted the simple ballads because that's what they're used to and that's what's popular. I got so disgusted that I came back to the States.

Nowadays, the underground/indie scene in the Chinese music market has gotten quite strong, so that's a silver lining in the cloud for sure. The stuff that's happening in the indie scene is FAR more interesting than those regurgitated boring ballads in the mainstream market.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,731 of 2,994
So interesting.......In fact, I'm so happy with these music.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back