Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jun 22, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,702 of 2,994
I guess with the scandal and all, I'd post an iKon track. I had no idea B.I. was producing music since his teens. I guess he was the next GD in the YG family.

B.I. has produced tracks for Epik High, Black Pink, Psy, Lee Hi. Pretty impressive at such a young age.

Yang Hyun-suk, who founded YG entertainment steps down as the CEO. YG entertainment is one of the 3 giant music entertrainment company in South Korea that has produced some the most well known artists.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,705 of 2,994
I guess with the scandal and all, I'd post an iKon track. I had no idea B.I. was producing music since his teens. I guess he was the next GD in the YG family.

B.I. has produced tracks for Epik High, Black Pink, Psy, Lee Hi. Pretty impressive at such a young age.

Yang Hyun-suk, who founded YG entertainment steps down as the CEO. YG entertainment is one of the 3 giant music entertrainment company in South Korea that has produced some the most well known artists.

Haven't heard much about this recently. I saw some of the initial reports related to Seungri, and Jung Joon-young who I didn't know before. Seungri I of course know from the group Big Bang. And I liked a few of his tunes. There are more details about the investigation here, if anyone's curious...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Sun_scandal

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #2,706 of 2,994
Haven't heard much about this recently. I saw some of the initial reports related to Seungri, and Jung Joon-young who I didn't know before. Seungri I of course know from the group Big Bang. And I liked a few of his tunes. There are more details about the investigation here, if anyone's curious...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Sun_scandal
Wow, that was a huge bust! The other one I mentioned also involves information found from text messages as well. The one involving B.I. and Yang Huyun-suk is just related to drug allegations.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,707 of 2,994
Wow, that was a huge bust! The other one I mentioned also involves information found from text messages as well. The one involving B.I. and Yang Hyun-suk is just related to drug allegations.

The stuff involving B.I. and Yang is covered a bit in that link as well. According to the article, nearly 4000 people were arrested on drug-related charges at 148 "entertainment establishments", whatever that means. So it wasn't all just Kpop-related. The problems are obviously widespread though.

In peripheral investigations, police announced over 500 drug related arrests on March 25, 2019, after declaring "total war" against drug crime on February 25, due to the scandal at the Burning Sun. Of the 523 arrests for the use and distribution of drugs, 216 were detained. 421 cases, or 82 percent, involved psychotomimetic drugs like GHB,[183] a common date rape drug, and one alleged to have been used at the Burning Sun.[101] On May 30, SMPA reported to have arrested nearly 4,000 people at 148 entertainment establishments on drug related charges in the three month crackdown after the scandal started. Some 920 of those were detained; 886 for drug related crimes, 23 for sexual assault or rape while under the influence of drugs, and 11 for taking illegal videos during drug use. Most were in their 20s and 30s, and about 40 percent of the crimes involved the use of the drug ecstasy.[184]

This is not something the Korean entertainment industry should try to sweep under the rug imo. They should own the problem, and work to ameliorate it.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #2,708 of 2,994
The stuff involving B.I. and Yang is covered a bit in that link as well. According to the article, nearly 4000 people were arrested on drug-related charges at 148 "entertainment establishments", whatever that means. So it wasn't all just Kpop-related. The problems are obviously widespread though.

This is not something the Korean entertainment industry should try to sweep under the rug imo. They should own the problem, and work to ameliorate it.
B.I. and Yang's incident is detailed on B.I.'s wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.I_(rapper)

"On June 12, 2019, B.I announced his departure from the group on his personal Instagram account after news agency Dispatch unearthed KakaoTalk messages from three years prior, outlining his attempt to purchase marijuana and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) from an undisclosed female dealer. He was also accused of evading police charges. The messages allegedly detailed a conversation between B.I and the dealer, in which the singer asked for a bulk discount and the dealer warned him about the effects of taking drugs.[14] He posted a letter on his personal Instagram account revealing that the messages were true and explained that he was going "through a hard and painful time" and wanted something to rely on. However, he has denied taking any drugs. The same day, iKon's agency, YG Entertainment, terminated B.I's contract.[15][16] His appearances on television series Law of the Jungle, Grand Buda-Guest, and Stage K were set to be broadcast, but the networks edited him out of the programs.[17][18][19]

On June 14, 2019, it was revealed that the drug dealer delivered drugs to B.I and took drugs together, but was persuaded by the head of YG Entertainment, Yang Hyun-suk, to cover the fact from the police investigation.[20] Following the allegation, Yang resigned from all his positions in the company.[21][22] The dealer was revealed to be Han So-hee, a former female idol trainee, who was involved in drug issues with T.O.P and has received four years of probation in 2017.[23][24]"

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2,709 of 2,994
Personally, I don't like these big labels dominating the market. There's plenty of talent out there that are independent, and I think the kpop industry is in a girl/boy group craze due to these big labels catering to the international audience instead of supporting artists that make unique music. If these big labels go down due to all these scandals, it won't make me sad. They can go down with all their boy/girl bands, I could care less.

Anyway, moving on, this is a good Youtube channel for music other than the usual boy/girl group music. There's mainly independents in this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCty7VemYrKM1b4pp0RAsuTA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back