Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Mar 3, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,910 of 2,994

I'm not an expert on their music it's just indie music pops up in their popular charts. For example this girl Monita Tahalea posted above is currently #2 on the chart where according to a Youtuber: Now I made it by calculation of 13 radio's charts all over Indonesia.

Tien Tien from Vietnam is a popular debuting singer. I like all her 4 songs which she've made videos on.

In case if you've missed this song - another Indonesian

It seems the Indonesian collective stylistic choice is a bit more creative and interesting than the Vietnamese, but Tien Tien's songs are a cut above the rest on the Vietnamese chart. Thai is hard for me to listen to though--the language is just really harsh and nasal. It has to be an extremely well composed song with really good melodic contour and arrangement for me to be able to overlook the language.

Mongolian music is really kicking ass right now too, it seems. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,912 of 2,994
I'm glad that I like the pop music, not those interesting stuff.  Thanks to those great song writers they brought us such beautiful melody! Good music is always enjoyable even after years. 
L3000.gif

L3000.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,913 of 2,994
  Thai is hard for me to listen to though--the language is just really harsh and nasal. It has to be an extremely well composed song with really good melodic contour and arrangement for me to be able to overlook the language.

I also noticed that Thai language is more harsh than even Vietnamese let alone Indonesian which is pretty smooth. I love how R sounds in Thai - very pronounced and accentuated. Chinese can't even pronounce R in the slightest.

I love how weird this Thai song sounds.

I've posted this Thai song already. It is a good sounding Thai song.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,914 of 2,994
  I'm glad that I like the pop music, not those interesting stuff.  Thanks to those great song writers they brought us such beautiful melody! Good music is always enjoyable even after years. 
L3000.gif

Just curious--how old are you? And are you originally from Hong Kong? It seems you have a preference for old Cantonese ballads from the 80's and 90's. 

There are very few Chinese heartbreaking ballads I love. Here's one with a very genuine sense of deep regret and sense of loss that goes beyond the typical cliches used in the average C-Pop ballads. The lyrics to this song is a masterpiece and one of the finest ever written in the history of Chinese ballads, with a literary level of deep insight and portrayal of the kind of lasting pain that etches itself in your dying soul and spreads like a metastasizing cancer:

And to give you an idea of the kind of amazing songs about heartbreak and regret that Chinese rock musicians write, this is a song from one of Taiwan's most talented rock singer/songwriters who died in a car crash in the 90's. This was from an album that was produced as a memorial to him after his death. This particular song showcases his songwriting and singing talent beautifully:

And here's the story behind the album and the tragedy of his death: 
http://blog.xuite.net/timolin/wretch/190944094-%E5%8F%B0%E7%81%A3%E5%9C%B0%E4%B8%8B%E9%9F%B3%E6%A8%82%E6%AA%94%E6%A1%883+%E5%91%BC%E5%90%B8+%E8%8D%B3%E8%8D%B3%E7%B4%80%E5%BF%B5%E5%B0%88%E8%BC%AF

The kind of depth, intelligence, passion, and soul  displayed in those two songs is what it takes to impress me when it comes to ballads.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,915 of 2,994

I've posted this Thai song already. It is a good sounding Thai song.

I'm noticing that it's the singing styles that don't emphasize the nasal quality of the language that sounds best in Thai or Vietnamese. It's like they almost have to really suppress that aspect of the language in the way they project while singing, in order to make the language sound less grating. I suspect the singers know this too and are doing it on purpose in order to get the language to fit the smoother styles such as RnB and mellower indie styles. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #1,916 of 2,994
I'm glad that my music preference doesn't limited by new or old, ballad or indie, rock, k-pop, j-pop...... So, there're so many amazing good music I can enjoy all the time.
L3000.gif

Great band sound, great melody!
L3000.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,917 of 2,994
Originally Posted by Music818 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm glad that my music preference doesn't limited by new or old, ballad or indie, rock, k-pop, j-pop...... So, there're so many amazing good music I can enjoy all the time.
L3000.gif

Great band sound, great melody!
L3000.gif

My favorite song from Beyond is still this one. I used to sing it all the time in karaokes. :D The composition and arrangement itself is only okay, but the lyrics is what makes it special--that sentiment of holding on even when things are tough and not giving up on your dreams and each other. 

I actually don't limit my music listening by any criteria other than whether it's good enough songwriting (lyrics, composition), arrangement, and production. I'm likely to listen to a far wider range of music than you do, because as a professional composer I have to be well-versed in many styles so I can compose them for projects needing specific styles.  I'm more picky simply because I'm much more involved in music than the average listener. In a way it's a curse for anyone who works professionally in any field--it's harder for them to enjoy as much as they used to before they learned so much about how the industry works and the art & craft of it all. A professional filmmaker will not watch movies the same way you watch it, and a professional chef will not taste food the way you taste it, so a professional musician will also not hear songs the way you hear it either. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #1,919 of 2,994
  Sound interesting............but so boring.....I prefer enjoy the music rather than talking.
rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty happy that I still enjoy the music everyday. 
darthsmile.gif

What makes you think professional musicians don't? You do understand that the reason they devoted so much of their lives to music is because they love it far more than the average music listener, to the point that they are willing to make sacrifices and work very hard in order to become proficient musicians, songwriters, composers, etc. It is what they live for. They love music so much that they can't be satisfied with only being a fan--they have to actually create music and become one with music.

Talking about art and entertainment critically is crucial for advancing our civilization. If all human beings did was to mindless consume without any critical thinking, we would not have come this far as a species. And guess what? All those songs you love so much--the people who made those songs mostly think like me, because professionals have to think critically about what they do, the industry they work in, and the art form they chose to devote their lives to. You get to sit there and enjoy the music we professionals make because we are critical about what we do. If we didn't give a $hit about quality and think critically about music all the time, you wouldn't have anything good to listen to. 

Same with all those movies and TV shows you love, the video games you play, the books you read, the restaurants you love to eat at, the cars you drive, the computers and smartphones you use--all of them are designed and manufactured and created by people who have to think critically about what they do. So while it's true that once you become very serious about a specific endeavor (especially if you want to reach professional level), you can become a lot more picky than when you were simply just a fan, it is part of what's necessary in order to create quality works. There is no way around it. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #1,920 of 2,994
Only those people who had written great pop music we'll call them professional musicians and they rarely keep on telling people they are professional musicians. 
Thanks to these professional musicians. It's time to enjoy their great music again....
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back