Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Aug 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,596 of 2,994
Im  not sure of modern songs they sound to generic  globally alike with no personality  at last how I see personally,
 but when i listen to classical/ folk Chinese/ Jap etc they sound stunning pure art from instruments collaboration to the rest.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,599 of 2,994
  Im  not sure of modern songs they sound to generic  globally alike with no personality  at last how I see personally,
 but when i listen to classical/ folk Chinese/ Jap etc they sound stunning pure art from instruments collaboration to the rest. 

Unfortunately, in any of the Chinese-speaking countries/communities, that type of music is shunned by anyone who's not considered old (generally speaking). It's sort of like in the west, it's hard to find anyone who's not old and listening to music from generations ago (other than classical/jazz). In the eyes/ears/minds of the non-elderly population, that type of Chinese music is considered ultra-conservative, embarrassingly mawkish, cheesy, cliched, boring, and devoid of any relevance to modern ideas of society, romance, family, etc, as if the songs and singers are perpetually stuck in the 19th Century rural areas. 

I posted Daiqing Tana & Haya Band before -- I don't know if you saw the post. It's an intriguing modern take on the whole traditional sensibility (though it's technically Mongolian, not Chinese), blending modern musical ideas with traditional sentiments, while focusing on emotional honesty and avoiding the mawkish cheesiness that people usually associate with the willfully traditional sound:

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,601 of 2,994
Hitomitoi (一十三十一) and her jazz-tinged electro city pop continues in the recent couple of albums:

Her song "Dive" is still my favorite of all her releases thus far, and is one of my favorite songs in the last few years. Just love the hybrid sound of jazzy electro pop (those punchy syncopated electric piano chords get me every time)  and the overall mood (the video pretty much sums up the gist of the lyrics, which is about romance under the moonlight in an empty swimming pool in the city) :

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,604 of 2,994
Not sure if this has already been posted or not, but G.E.M. is a highly underrated Mandarin and Cantopop singer. 

Great female vocalist, and is hella pretty as well! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back