Asian Food-Fi
Oct 5, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #32 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, I was reading this thread and thinking where's the recommendation for Malay, Singapore or Indonesian food (I'm Indonesian) and voila the last 2 posts talk about it
wink.gif

So,

Indonesian
Soto (My favourite dish/soup)
There are several version of it, I loved most of them. To make it simple, if you ever go to Surabaya, ask the taxi driver to get you to Soto Ambengan.
Bakso/Bakwan
Indonesian Meatball
Ayam Penyet
An Indonesian Fried chicken with sambal (a condiment made from thailand chilly) like it very hot and spicy.
Satay
Well you can get Chicken, pork, rabbit, goat, etc. My favourite is goat satay, it's bad for your blood pressure though.
Beef Rendang
You can get it from any Malaysian restaurant

Singapore & Malaysian
Hainan Chicken Rice
Curry Laksa
There are 2 kinds of laksa, curry laksa and asam laksa. It's a different dishes, I prefer curry laksa.
Chilly Crab or pepper Crab
The best way to eat your crab
wink.gif

Nasi Lemak
Fried cha kwee tiauw

Other Asian dishes I like has been mentioned above, The only thing I want to add

Thai
Tom yung goong
Green curry (gang dang ped)

Btw zhic and ljcii, I'm going to Singapore this coming friday. Can you recommend me some must eat restaurant/hawker center I must visit while I'm there
wink.gif

Haha, i can't coz i don't really know any. I just eat where i go and i don't remember if it's good food.
Aha, My mum lives in medan and i go there frequently and i eat mee bakso.
and this satay padang thing is great too.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting! I wasn't aware of the North vs. South distinction...

And you're right, there's a ton of variety here - at least in California and throughout the Western US. Unfortunately, Vietnamese food has taken on somewhat of a popularist slant, merging Chinese and Thai styles, ingredients, dishes, etc into a menu that's 12 pages long, and encompassing over 100 items.

Not to say the other stuff isn't "good", just that I identify "Pho" with only Vietnam (along with bahn mi).

And no, I'm not Vietnamese.
biggrin.gif
Fourth generation, food loving Japanese American, actually, with a culinary degree.

But yet I waste away my days as a technology analyst... *sigh*
bigsmile_face.gif

banh mi*
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #35 of 99
If it has the word curry in it I probably love it.
I'm also fond of some sushi, especially unagi.
Oh and Thai iced tea is amazing.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #36 of 99
Quote:

Whoa, I was reading this thread and thinking where's the recommendation for Malay, Singapore or Indonesian food (I'm Indonesian) and voila the last 2 posts talk about it
wink.gif

So,

Indonesian
Soto (My favourite dish/soup)
There are several version of it, I loved most of them. To make it simple, if you ever go to Surabaya, ask the taxi driver to get you to Soto Ambengan.
Bakso/Bakwan
Indonesian Meatball
Ayam Penyet
An Indonesian Fried chicken with sambal (a condiment made from thailand chilly) like it very hot and spicy.
Satay
Well you can get Chicken, pork, rabbit, goat, etc. My favourite is goat satay, it's bad for your blood pressure though.
Beef Rendang
You can get it from any Malaysian restaurant

Fellow Indonesian! :p Some are my favourties too! and also Nasi Padang!

There's alot of nice places where you can eat it in Singapore! How long are you visiting?

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #37 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fellow Indonesian! :p Some are my favourties too! and also Nasi Padang!

There's alot of nice places where you can eat it in Singapore! How long are you visiting?

I'll be there for 1 week, plenty of times to taste satisfy my laksa and chili crabs craving
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #38 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by user123456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chinese and Dim-Sum, Japanese and Sushi, Vietnamese and Pho?
What's your favorite. Post away!

Izakaya
Kaiseki
Oden (since it's starting to get chilly)

Favorite pho-place was Vi's in Oakland, until the owner moved back to Vietnam. Still looking for a worthy replacement.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #40 of 99
My wife's cooking. She's Japanese.

I'm vegetarian, which restricts things rather. Locally, there's a tiny curry restaurant run by a couple who cook up the most amazing curries you'll ever eat. They make the other local Indian restaurants look like amateurs.

I love Vietnamese and Thai vegetarian cooking though. There are quite a few good Asian vegetarian restaurants in Sydney, where I used to live. Unfortunately I'm far from Tokyo, so visiting a vegetarian restaurant here is pretty much out of the question.

If you're in Milpitas, Palo Alto or San Francisco it'd be worth checking out the new Loving Hut restaurants if you want to find out how good vegetarian Asian food can be.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #42 of 99
IMO, Thai Food is the best food out of Asia. Fairbanks is a great place for Thai food too: 100,000 population max, and nearly 7 Thai places with a new one coming next to every couple of years. My favorite dish ahs remained my favorite since I was 8: Gai Grapow (I think I got the name right): Sauteed Chicken, with Onions, Bell Peppers, Thai Chilis and Basil on Rice--Yum!

Second to that, I have to go with the only other Asian food I really eat, my Mom's homestyle Indian cooking.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #44 of 99
Quote:

Singapore & Malaysian
Hainan Chicken Rice

You've just reminded me that it's been a while since I had Hainanese Chicken Rice dish. Didn't realise it's a dish with a Singapore origin. There's a Chinese restaurant near where I work that makes an excellent Hainanese Chicken Rice dish, looks like I'm going have to stop by there for lunch today. I also enjoy Singapore Fried Rice Noodles with curry in it that's done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back