Asian Food-Fi
Oct 5, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 99
The best Asian food is high quality white rice and a simple side dish that is well made. Many people think the best Asian food is complex but it's really the simple dishes that are found in homes. This is the mother of all Asia brotha.

chewie0ol.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 99
Here are my faves from each cuisine:

Japanese
The pure elegance that is sashimi, whether toro, hamachi, maguro, salmon
And of course Nigiri and misc roll sushi
Sukiyaki
Simple pork or shoyu ramen
Deep fried hamichi cheeks
Grilled anago / unagi
Kobe beef shabu shabu
Steamed, then pan fried gyoza with ponzu sauce

Vietnamese
Pho Tai with purple basil, lime, some siracha, and a dash of hoisin - pure comfort food, nothing better on a cold night
Slow simmered short-rib beef stew, infused with 5-spice, with fresh baguette
Iced coffee over sweetened condensed milk (AKA "crack")
My fave sandwiches - Grilled, sweet lemongrass chicken, with cilantro, picked radish and carrots, mayo, and Magee sauce, on a fresh baguette.

Chinese
Too many to name...
Black bean, deep fried catfish or whole crab
And the boiling, scalding, explode in your mouth dumplings

And then there is the brilliance of Thai food
My fave Asian cuisine
No other culinary tradition or style matches Thai food for the genius balancing of sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and fatty flavors
When you perfectly balance coconut milk, fish sauce, tamarind, gingers, garlics, galangal, palm sugars, various curries, etc, you're bound to make fabulous food.

Indian food is similar in character, but not quite as sweet, which doesn't lend to maillard, blackend, grilled flavor profiles.

Speaking of grilled flavor... Korean bulgogi and kalbi kicks all kinds of ass
Hundreds of different kinds of kim chee
Bi bim bop

Most brilliant, underappreciated cuisine? Mexican. Seriously, it goes way beyond tacos, burritos, and the like. Do some research and read up on Rick Bayless's books and recipes.

Posole is my #3 comfort soup, after Vietnamese Pho, and Japanese Ramen.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 99
Quote:

The best Asian food is high quality white rice and a simple side dish that is well made. Many people think the best Asian food is complex but it's really the simple dishes that are found in homes. This is the mother of all Asia brotha.

I disagree to an extent. When I worked at my aunt's southeast asian restaurant, most people ordered the simple, well-known dishes. (I.e, rice noodles soup, pad thai, cantonese noodles, stir fry, appetizers, etc) The only customers who ordered the complex dishes were old-school FOBs. They knew what the good stuff was.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 99
I love Beef Tataki and Sashimi.

I cook Chinese at home, so that includes things such as dumplings, glutinous rice rolls, etc.

Mum and I have always had a big thing for very spicy foods, and we've been really enjoying Korean foods lately.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Vietnamese
Pho Tai with purple basil, lime, some siracha, and a dash of hoisin - pure comfort food, nothing better on a cold night
Beef stew with fresh baguette
Iced coffee
My fave sandwiches - Grilled, sweet lemongrass chicken, with cilantro, picked radish and carrots, mayo, and Magee sauce, on a fresh baguette.

Vietnamese Pho in the States is just a little part of its real taste. I do miss it when I come here, that's so far my most favorite food. Another point is that, Pho in America is a little too big. In Vietnam, it's actually about half-size. It's freezing now and I miss it
frown.gif

Iced coffee is also very special. I personally prefer iced coffee with milk. Far better. Just made a cup and enjoyed
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 99
Quote:

Here are my faves from each cuisine:

Japanese
The pure elegance that is sashimi, whether toro, hamachi, maguro, salmon
And of course Nigiri and misc roll sushi
Sukiyaki
Simple pork or shoyu ramen
Deep fried hamichi cheeks
Grilled anago / unagi
Kobe beef shabu shabu
Steamed, then pan fried gyoza with ponzu sauce

Vietnamese
Beef stew with fresh baguette
Iced coffee

Chinese
Too many to name...
Black bean, deep fried catfish or whole crab
And the boiling, scalding, explode in your mouth dumplings

And then there is the brilliance of Thai food
My fave Asian cuisine
No other culinary tradition or style matches Thai food for the genius balancing of sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and fatty flavors
When you perfectly balance coconut milk, fish sauce, tamarind, gingers, garlics, galangal, palm sugars, various curries, etc, you're bound to make fabulous food.

Indian food is similar in character, but not quite as sweet, which doesn't lend to maillard, blackend, grilled flavor profiles.

Speaking of grilled flavor... Korean bulgogi and kalbi kicks all kinds of ass
Hundreds of different kinds of kim chee
Bi bim bop

Most brilliant, underappreciated cuisine? Mexican. Seriously, it goes way beyond tacos, burritos, and the like. Do some research and read up on Rick Bayless's books and recipes.

Posole is my #3 comfort soup, after Vietnamese Pho, and Japanese Ramen.

Very cool write up! I always love eating Vietnamese food when I visit Southern California to see family. It's too bad I live here in Central Ohio, not much good Asian cuisine at all and I'm not a big fan of the weather.

Anyway, good eats everyone. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtendeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always love eating Vietnamese food when I visit Southern California to see family. It's too bad I live here in Central Ohio, not much good Asian cuisine at all and I'm not a big fan of the weather.

lol
Somehow we have many points in common.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vietnamese Pho in the States is just a little part of its real taste. I do miss it when I come here, that's so far my most favorite food. Another point is that, Pho in America is a little too big. In Vietnam, it's actually about half-size. It's freezing now and I miss it
frown.gif

Iced coffee is also very special. I personally prefer iced coffee with milk. Far better. Just made a cup and enjoyed
biggrin.gif

Just curious - what did you mean by "a little part of its real taste"? Did you mean the dish of Pho (beef, fish, tripe, etc) as compared to the totality of Vietnamese cuisine?

And yeah, the iced coffee I was referring to was the one slowly dripped over sweetened condensed milk.

Our favorite Vietnamese restaurant here in San Diego is called "Phuong Trang" and over the past 10 years, my wife and I have eaten there over 200 times, so you could say I'm very very familiar with their pho beef stock.

I'm a pretty intense cook, and that stock is one thing I won't try to replicate, b/c I don't think it's possible and frankly it's not worth it to try. It's just perfection, balancing beef flavor with anise and all the myriad of other flavors that have co-mingled for hours.

Their ice coffee is also amazing, as they roast and blend their own coffee to give it an incredible caramel flavor. I'm a freakin' 10-year customer of their restaurant and they won't even let me take home or buy some of the beans!

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 99
I have Pho (vietnamese) and Sushi (Japanese) on a weekly/daily basis.

Sushi more than Pho ... but both very regularly.

Nothing better than Spicy Tuna and/or Tiger Eye or Spider Roll.

It's like eating mana or something.

The more wassabi the better.

Yum.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol
Somehow we have many points in common.

Haha, yeah. Isn't Hiram in Northern Ohio? Do you guys have any decent Vietnamese food up there? I'm not familiar with the area. Oh, and did you guys get hit hard by wind? Our power was out for 4 days here in Columbus :/.

Quote:

Just curious - what did you mean by "a little part of its real taste"? Did you mean the dish of Pho (beef, fish, tripe, etc) as compared to the totality of Vietnamese cuisine?

And yeah, the iced coffee I was referring to was the one slowly dripped over sweetened condensed milk.

Our favorite Vietnamese restaurant here in San Diego is called "Phuong Trang" and over the past 10 years, my wife and I have eaten there over 200 times, so you could say I'm very very familiar with their pho beef stock.

I'm a pretty intense cook, and that stock is one thing I won't try to replicate, b/c I don't think it's possible and frankly it's not worth it to try. It's just perfection, balancing beef flavor with anise and all the myriad of other flavors that have co-mingled for hours.

Their ice coffee is also amazing, as they roast and blend their own coffee to give it an incredible caramel flavor. I'm a freakin' 10-year customer of their restaurant and they won't even let me take home or buy some of the beans!

Wow, I'll have to check that out the next time I'm in town. I have to ask, are you Vietnamese? You're awfully knowledgeable
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 99
Quote:

I'm a pretty intense cook, and that stock is one thing I won't try to replicate, b/c I don't think it's possible and frankly it's not worth it to try. It's just perfection, with the perfect balance of beef flavor with anise and all the myriad of other flavors that have co-mingled for hours.

Their ice coffee is also amazing, as they blend their own coffee and roast their own coffee to give it an incredible caramel flavor. I'm a freakin' 10-year customer of their restaurant and they won't even let me take home or buy some of the beans!

In Vietnam, there are only 2 kinds of Pho, beef and chicken. The Pho that you have here is from Northern Vietnam. I personally prefer the Southern Vietnam. That's far better, especially the soup, very very delicious. The biggest difference I see between the American's Pho and real Vietnamese's Pho is in the ingredient. American Pho has a lot of meat while Vietnamese has a lot of vegetables. Vegetables play a big role in Pho's soup. We have many kinds of vegetable in Vietnam but it's not much here. Maybe meat is cheaper than vegetables here
frown.gif
I'm lucky enough that my hometown is considered to have the best Pho in Vietnam.

I'm really addicted to iced coffee. When I first came here, I tried the most popular coffee, Starbuck and that made me disappointed. It's somehow tasteless. I missed it so much that I spent 100$ to buy the stuffs (filter,ground coffee and condensed milk) to make it on my own. It's a big sum of money because in Vietnam, it only costs me 0.5$ for a cup like that. You can buy all the stuffs needed here: Trung Nguyen Vietnamese Coffee. It's considered the best coffee company in Vietnam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back