ASG-2, CK100Pro, UE900 and FA-4E XB [reviews] - The dysfunctional family
Nov 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #31 of 127
Hi Love Music considering your music preferences i think the fa 4e xb could suit you better than the others, Moonyeol recently receive them ask him anyway.

Other people in the fa 4e xb thread said they are a clearer, detailed w4 with more bass or an improved modded ue900.

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #32 of 127
W4R does have a veil. It's noticeably less clear than the CK100PRO. Switching from The CK100PRO to the W4R, that was the biggest disappointment. That's the only gripe I have with the W4R though! Both are top notch. 

W4R has more forward mids.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #34 of 127
If I can only have one. I would pick the one that sounds good with all of my music. Not one that sounds amazing with 50%, ok with 25% and not so good with 25%. Or as the the CK100Pro would've been; fcking brilliant with 25%, good 25%, meh 25% and downright painful 25%. To me it's such a solid contender that despite not being the best in anything, it's so allround it's the one I pick when I want to listen to MUSIC. Not listen to bass and vocals or amazing details. It's hard to explain.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #35 of 127
  W4R does have a veil. It's noticeably less clear than the CK100PRO. Switching from The CK100PRO to the W4R, that was the biggest disappointment. That's the only gripe I have with the W4R though! Both are top notch. 

W4R has more forward mids.

I see thanks.

Hi Love Music considering your music preferences i think the fa 4e xb could suit you better than the others, Moonyeol recently receive them ask him anyway.

Other people in the fa 4e xb thread said they are a clearer, detailed w4 with more bass or an improved modded ue900.

Thanks. Just read your review on them. Interesting that you say they have nearly the same soundstage size as the EX1000. Is the vocals/mids quite forward though and is it too bassy. I don't really like a lot of bass. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #36 of 127
The soundstage on the FA-4E is good. Better than UE900, smaller in height and depth than ASG-2. From memory I would say about the same as CK100Pro but less air. With Comply tips they're quite balanced. Upper mids are just a bit laid back, treble is extended and smooth, also slightly laid back. The overall sound signature is quite similar to modded UE900. But more impact in the bass. Make no mistake, while the lift does continue into the lower mids it is by no means bloated or bassy like stock UE900. It's way less mid bassy than ASG-2. I really like them so far. With silicone tips I find them to be more V-shaped and I think the increased treble presence makes the upper mids sound relatively more scooped out. Comply tips remove a bit of the extension and all traces of sibilance. To my ears they also make the presentation.. well.. make more sense. The mids and treble are more leveled and the entire sound signature is a bit laid back instead of just the upper mids. I'm going to experiment more and listen more. I'm thoroughly enjoying them. They will be included in this thread maybe the week after next week (10-14 days), don't want to rush anything.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #37 of 127
I prefer the sound with foams too its more clear and balanced while im using now custom tips and they really make difference, imo the fa 4e are quite a step in their price range they just simply sound superb, the ex 1000 could sound more spacious with better bass but nothing more and only a bit better, differences are really noticiable in detail, transparency and separation

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #38 of 127
Really looking forward to your review on them. Does the mids sound really distant/hollow like how the UE900 can sound sometimes. Kind of looking for something that's quite forward in the mids maybe like the first row in a concert.

The CK100 Pro's sounds really like the sound I'm after maybe slightly less treble sparkle. But may not be the best one to have if it makes most of my music library sound like crap...

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #40 of 127
  Really looking forward to your review on them. Does the mids sound really distant/hollow like how the UE900 can sound sometimes. Kind of looking for something that's quite forward in the mids maybe like the first row in a concert.

The CK100 Pro's sounds really like the sound I'm after maybe slightly less treble sparkle. But may not be the best one to have if it makes most of my music library sound like crap...

Just to say, it's really worth it to obtain a high quality music library. I do listen to similar genres as you and trust me, the difference between the average youtube-rip quality versus even a 320kbps mp3 (converted from lossless) can be pretty massive, especially listening from competent gear. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #41 of 127

Just to say, it's really worth it to obtain a high quality music library. I do listen to similar genres as you and trust me, the difference between the average youtube-rip quality versus even a 320kbps mp3 (converted from lossless) can be pretty massive, especially listening from competent gear. 

Yeah definitely. I can hear an improvement from FLAC and 320kbps files from my CK100. The sound tends to be a bit cleaner, fuller and there's also a bit more detail. The thing is not all J-pop/rock is mastered well though and from reviews I've read thus far says that the CK100 Pro's works best with Classical, vocals, orchestra and instrumentals which are pretty much really well mastered/recorded music. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #42 of 127
I do agree that on some well mastered tracks, with good source and phones it does make a huge difference. With most average tracks and 320 kbit ogg vorbis, you have to listen for cymbal decay A/B bass impact and details etc. I'd say that mastering is a bigger factor than flac (regular cd quality) vs 320 ogg vorbis.

Dammit, can someone who has the CK100Pro try comply TSX or TX? The wax guard is supposed to remove a bit treble as well, usually a bad thing. In the case of CK100Pro it might be good. With a bit less hot treble they are close to a perfect detailed and kind of fast aggressive sound signature. When I get money I think I will buy a pair. But that will take a considerable amount of time.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #43 of 127
Very nice review. Well done! I do have a question. I really like the sound of my UE6000 and have been thinking of getting a high end IEM. Which of these has a similar sound? BTW, how are the CK100pro for hip hop/pop (like Eminem, K-OS, Michael Jackson etc.) and how do female vocals sound (Alicia Keys, Hatsune Miku, etc.)? Do they sound bad with 320Mp3's? 

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #44 of 127
I would not want the CK100Pro for hiphop or pop. They sound bad with music that's poorly mastered. Female vocals sound amazing if they are well recorded and the singer does not have sibilant "sss". I haven't tried the UE6000. Could you describe what typ of sound you seek? But the GR07 is a favorite of mine and perhaps the bass edition would be good for songs that demand a bit more bass. Maybe you would be better off asking in the iem thread by IjokerI since he is probably the most knowledgable man on the planet when it comes to in ears. If not, it's one of the most active and read threads on Head-fi :) My advice can't compete with that. But I'm happy to answer any questions you have nontheless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back