As enjoyable/good as Grado's, but better quality
Jul 13, 2009 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

silverstonettl

Head-Fier
Hi,
A while back I had a pair of SR-60s I sold to a friend because I'm an idiot and have been using my K601s since. I miss how lively those headphones made a lot of my music and am contemplating buying a pair of Grados to complement my K601s. However, I was never a fan of the build quality of the Grados, in particular the cable and flimsy (and uncomfortable) headband.

Is there another comparable line of headphones people here have liked and which compare favorably to a Grado pair but which are of higher quality?

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 29
"Higher quality" is highly subjective. The ATH open backs are a good alternative to the Grados if you are looking for something musical and colored but with a tamer high end and better design. Or you can consider the HFI 780 if you are looking for something as aggressive as a Grado.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 29
Only a Grado will give you the Grado sound signature. If that's what you want, look at a used RS-1.

If you want the same fast, forward sound signature, consider the Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Sony MDR-SA5000. Neither sounds quite like a Grado, but you'll get that fast pace and extended highs. Both are a little more refined (IMHO), but nothing other than Grado will give you that visceral joy with rock. I don't know what your budget is, but the HF-2 might do well as an alternative to a used RS-1.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 29
Thanks for the responses everyone.....My budget is $200 and below so those ATH-AD2000s are out of the question....

My next question is whether it's worth moving up to the 325(i) instead of the 225s or below....I'm tempted because the metal might make them seem less like toys....

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #11 of 29
I was in the same situation was you; I had Sr-80's, but found them uncomfortable and sold them for cheap to a friend and got a K-601. Now I have a MS-2i, and I have to say that the larger bowls are much more comfortable and headband is a bit better than the SR-80.
I suggest you try out (or research) either SR 325i or MS-2i's, they truly are great headphones for the price.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverstonettl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses everyone.....My budget is $200 and below so those ATH-AD2000s are out of the question....

My next question is whether it's worth moving up to the 325(i) instead of the 225s or below....I'm tempted because the metal might make them seem less like toys....

SR225/SR225i. I own the former. The SR325is are out of your budget. To be honest I don't find anything toyish about their build quality. Even the SR60 lasts, a friend of mine bought a pair some 4 years back. Some 700+ hours on them, hard use and they still look fine.

The SR325is is a bit controversial, some love it, some can't live with it. The SR225 is a more universally accepted can.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 29
The 325i was gold, the 325is was silver. Hence the "s".

Listening to a pair of SR225s right now...they're wonderful phones, and I hear the "i" version only gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back