Article: "Death spurs headphone debate"
May 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 32
We have This story on the wall in our kitchen. It is a better accident. The kids quote is priceless.

"It was just instant. I was just walking and then I was on the ground. I wasn't sure what happened. Then I saw the train stopping up ahead. I thought, 'Holy crap, dude, you just got hit by a train.' Maybe the metal gods above were smiling on me and they didn't want one of their true warriors to die on them. Otherwise, I'd be up there in the kingdom of steel."

May 16, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 32
I used to blare my Shures walking home from school. Dangerous to my hearing and the rest of my person, almost got hit by a car a couple times. I don't think it's just hearing a vehicle that's important but being connected to your surroundings, which headphones do a lovely job of inhibiting.

May 16, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 32
GuyMe touches on something important there- you melt away from reality.. or, at least, can

Dangerous stuff- I'm a very, very cautious pedestrian and triple check when crossing streets, before and during.. rather constantly while during.. my head becomes a panning security cam in high speed

May 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 32
would never use headphones in the car, have a great stereo and speakers tho, and on a bike

Not a chance for iems, the most ive used is 1 in the ear that is by the verge side that is non isolating.

May 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 32
I'm a pretty careful pedestrian. I work on a one way street and I check both directions before crossing, headphones or not. In 8 years, I've seen cars coming the wrong way 3 times, when I was trying to cross. Commuting to work, I usually wear my UM1s. I have .8 mile walk on one end and .5 mile walk on the other. I listen at a low enough level that I hear traffic. It's annoying, but I feel it's safer. I figure, I'm not going to be doing critical listening while walking, so it doesn't matter that much. Some quiet music is unlistenable this way, but again, it's worth the price to be safe.

May 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 32
Is there even any proof that the headphones were involved in the accident? The article just said that a friend told the reporters he spent a lot of time listening to headphones, not that he was even wearing them when he died, although it's strongly implied.

May 17, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #25 of 32
Ms. Hall said her first thought as she watched the helicopter's wreckage burn was of her daughter Tionna, 7, and how glad she was Tionna was in school and not at her juice stand with her friends from the neighbourhood.

“Every day after school, the three girls … they set up a juice stand on the sidewalk in the exact spot where it happened. Another hour and a half later, all the kids would have been out there,” she said. “I'm thinking, ‘Oh my god, that's our kids that are there playing every day.'” Tionna and her friends sold Kool-Aid and homemade cookies on the vacant lawn where the helicopter crashed.

“As soon as they got here from school … they'd stay out there for hours selling their Kool-Aid,” Ms. Hall said, adding that now she's much more cautious about letting her daughter play outside.

All the debris from the crash site has been cleared and taken to Vancouver for inspection. The site where the plane crashed and where Tionna Hall sold Kool-Aid is marked by blotchy, burned pavement and a strong acrid smell.

Townspeople set up a makeshift memorial – two lawn chairs, several bouquets, stuffed animals and a star-shaped pillow reading, “Ed Heeb, You are a star to us.”

The Transportation Safety Board is continuing its investigation in Vancouver and an autopsy of the pilot began Thursday.

Gerry MacIntyre, the community coroner in charge of the investigation, said it could be up to six months before the autopsy is completed and results released. Toxicology tests also have to be done, and burns make an autopsy more challenging, Mr. MacIntyre said.

Acting regional coroner Tonia Grace said autopsies are not being done on the three other victims because the cause of death was evident upon examination by a coroner. The bodies may be released as soon as tomorrow.

Things are getting back to normal in the neighbourhood, but Ursula Platz, who has lived in her house on 10th Street for almost 40 years, said people are still in shock.

“It happened so fast and so gruesome, if it happens right in front of you – very sad,” she said, her eyes tearing up.

“You don't forget it, you know.”

May 17, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #26 of 32
Headphones or not, would you even be able to dodge out of the way??? Would you expect something to fall out of the sky and land on you???

May 19, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #27 of 32
I can see a new apple disclaimer on the way....

helicopterdeath_edited.jpg

May 19, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #28 of 32
LOL that is a great image.

There are bound to be outliers and people are bound to die one way or another. Let's just chalk this one up as a freak accident and keep listening to our music.

May 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #29 of 32
I think that it is only reasonable for the headphones industry to take steps to prevent something like this from happening again. The obvious solution is to require all portable music playback devices to, at set intervals, say every 15 seconds, pause the music and instruct the user, "Watch out for helicopters. Look up! Fire is hot!" before continuing to play.

May 19, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there would be signs other than sound that would alert someone that a FREAKING HELICOPTER is about to fall on them.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back