ART DI/O vs. 333ES- Which is better?
Oct 20, 2001 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
Just wondering which was better because I have 30 days to return my 333es and get a pioneer 5 disc transport+dio+dio tweaks for approximately the same amount of money.

Oct 21, 2001 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 15
The 333Es has a higher potential with the ModWright modifications. Plus you have the ability to play SACD (which may or may not be an advantage). From all the forums it seems very clear that the DI/O needs a very good (and adjustable) power supply to sound its best. There also appears to be a great deal of system variation in how well the DI/O intergrates. I decided to skip the DI/O (to replace the CAL Gamma) and instead bought a 333. YMMV.

Oct 21, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 15
Yup, a stock 333 and a DI/O w/ base tweaks (good interconnects, power supply) are supposed to sound pretty close. The modded 333 may be another story. So base your decision on whether or not you want to do some tweaking.

Oct 21, 2001 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 15
True, but from what I understand the mods to the DI/O aren't all that extensive. And I still want to know exactly how much of an improvement you can get from a modded transport...
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 15
If I already had a transport or hunking CD player, I would do the D/IO unless I really was eager about SACD. If I needed an entirely new player I think the Sony is a great choice.

As for mods...well modding the D/IO is a bit cheaper, many mods can be done that won't void its three year warranty. And its just a very affordable product especially at fullcompass's price.

But I would definitely expect more in redbook performance from a modded SACD player, however I would be slightly apprehensive about wait times and void of warranty for a pricy product.

Obviously the D/IO is something I would feel safer tweaking than an SACD player.

If I wanted pure an absolute performance with the higher price tag, I'd do the SACD with future mods. But if I wanted an easy upgrade path that will still perform well and be more "convenient" or easier, than I'd choose the DIO.

I think the D/IO is portrayed to have a bit TOO much potential by some people. I would consider the D/IO a budget performer that sounds awesome for the price, instead of a unit that is infinitely tweakable to kill everything else regardless of price.

My personal opinion, is that the D/IO is a cheap product with great performance to take advantage of with really simple/cheap mods right from the start. I don't believe in the hype of it NEEDING a zillion pricy mods for which it will become a world beater DAC.

I mean it is a bit silly...of course I think the D/IO sounds awesome and can possibly sound much better with tweaks of course...but how much tweakability and improvement can you really claim out of a DAC that has the dimension of around 3 stacked CD cases?

I got it, and have minimal tweakage on the unit, and am very happy about its performance. I'm not exactly however having the mindset that with every single tweak, I will have a world beater DAC.

Also we are looking at different price points IMO. If you were to ask me which I would choose, an SACD player, or a DIO with expensive cables that combined with the DIO would match the price of the SACD player, than I'd choose the SACD player.

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

but how much tweakability and improvement can you really claim out of a DAC that has the dimension of around 3 stacked CD cases?

Actually, I'm sure you can put the D/A part inside an Altoids Tin, and then power it by some battery
rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, lets take a look at price points...

ART DI/O ($130) + Pioneer DV-343 (~$160) = ~$290
333ES= ~$400

Forget the cables and any tweaks, it still performs awesomely... and if you factor in cables, well you do need cables for the 333es too...

And at stock the DI/O, said by many, beats the 333es stock (redbook of course, sacd blows redbook away). Of course by getting the 333ES you have prepared yourself in spending more for the mods, setting you in the ~$700 range, to beat a DI/O at ~$300... Though you could still upgrade your transport and DI/O for still a less price (who knows how it would compare to the modded 333es).

Regardless of price, the 333ES of course is the way to go. If you are poor like many of us, DI/O is the way to go...

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #13 of 15
Chych I absolutely agree...that is why I stressed that indeed there IS an issue of price point and they clearly are not equal in regards to price. There is also the issue of not having the oppurtunity or desire to upgrade the Sony SACD player beyond stock.

I'm very happy that I chose the D/IO, but of course I already had a player/transport and limited funds.

And if you want to talk about true buyers remorse when it comes to audio...well a good friend of mine who is 1 year younger than me (21 years old) called me today and told me that he donated 50k of his own money to a charity for Afghan refugees. He says that money now has no value to him compared to others who are especially needy, and the only reason he didn't donate more is because he could still make more money to donate another 50k by the end of the year. And yes he is wealthy, as one would assume, but not wealthy enough for it to be just a drop in the bucket. It is also really HIS money based on his hand at the stock market(i.e. not inherited wealth, or born rich). I have known him even before he played stocks, but he still has a modest apartment he shares with his sister for med school, and his parents still live at the same house since I've known through highschool. His best sound system is a JVC executive mini-system, or maybe the Sony stereo in his Honda Accord. Oh I just wanted to share what "buyers remorse" can mean to me.

Oct 22, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #15 of 15
I like the 333, but Audio Asylum people makes a person think that the DIO is the end all be all and would sound a good deal better. I was looking at basically equivalent systems:

Chych- Your calculations are a bit off
DIO=$150 (full compass is out)
Pioneer543= $200
+at least $50 for dig cable=$400
vs
333ES=$400

Thanks to you guys I know that the DIO is a good deal but not the best DAC ever made (Audio Asylum people are a little bit, uh, involved in their hobby
biggrin.gif
). I'll keep the 333.

Yeah, I already posted about how I feel kind of bad spending money on hifi when people are starving and whatever. I wish there was an easier solution. I am going to enter AmeriCorps and Peace Corps to try to atone for my buying sins... but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back