Around Ear Closed Back Headphones
Feb 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MBerger

New Head-Fier
After hours of research, I just purchased Sennheisers hd 25-1 ii. They came today and i quickly tried them out. Not what I was expecting. I read that they were a little bass heavy but I didnt let it bother me too much. However I felt that these cans dont have enough clarity for me- It seems as if instruments overpower the vocals. But the bass was phenomenal- nice and tight. I listen to mostly acoustic music so I guess these headphones aren't really for me. Plus the clamping force was a little too tight. My budget is around $300, and im looking for an around ear, closed back headphone that arent too hard to travel with. I'll most likely use them with my Sandisk Sansa Clip+ too. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Max

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
After hours of research, I just purchased Sennheisers hd 25-1 ii. They came today and i quickly tried them out. Not what I was expecting. I read that they were a little bass heavy but I didnt let it bother me too much. However I felt that these cans dont have enough clarity for me- It seems as if instruments overpower the vocals. But the bass was phenomenal- nice and tight. I listen to mostly acoustic music so I guess these headphones aren't really for me. Plus the clamping force was a little too tight. My budget is around $300, and im looking for an around ear, closed back headphone that arent too hard to travel with. I'll most likely use them with my Sandisk Sansa Clip+ too. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Max

Look for something with low impedance. There are several makers these days who have 32 Ohm models. Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Ultrasone, and Pioneer all have low Ohm models made for iPods and such. Having said that, a small amp like the E11 (60 bucks) makes a WORLD of difference in the sound. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, I looked at the e11 but from what I read the drivers in the Sennheisers hd 25-1 ii arent too tough to power, but i am open to purchasing the e11 depending on the headphones I end up getting.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Thanks,
Max

Heya,

At your budget, look into:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads (right at your budget). And yes it will work fine with your Clip+.
AKG K550
Sony MDR1R
Sennheiser Momentums

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back