Aroma audio product impressions.
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #1,201 of 1,891
is ic 3k ? XD

Actually it was about $600. Yes that's a lot for a tiny cable, not $3k though. I was surprised it was so "cheap" and just had to have it. PW told me it would be the last Orpheus IC they will make, not sure if that's true.

“Orpheus IC” gets me every time.

Such dedication to the chain.

:relaxed:
Go big or go home buddy :) it really made the world of a difference when using amps. I consider it a worthy purchase.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,202 of 1,891
Actually it was about $600. Yes that's a lot for a tiny cable, not $3k though. I was surprised it was so "cheap" and just had to have it. PW told me it would be the last Orpheus IC they will make, not sure if that's true.

Go big or go home buddy :) it really made the world of a difference when using amps. I consider it a worthy purchase.
Probably next is Orpheus II ... 🤔

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,203 of 1,891
Sunday evening
Firing up my N8II and gonna listen to these beauties
Have a great one my friends ... 🙏
IMG20220828182709-01.jpeg

Aug 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,205 of 1,891
If anybody has a PW Aufio First Time they’re willing to loan (or unload for a good price), I’m looking to give it a go with the jewel I have incoming this week :)
One went up in the classifieds today I think....your side of the pond as well.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,207 of 1,891
Just got my Burson Op-Amps and I am super impressed! Wow, what a difference a pair of tiny metal cubes can make. Make sure you get them direct from Burson, spend the $78 and be happy for the opportunity.

I've said it before, but the Aroma stack is the real deal, stellar. I have a pair of OPA1612 coming for the input stage, just to try. Thanks to @efftee for the great recommendations, my all things amp "Yoda" :) :wink:

20220902_151659-01.jpeg20220902_101133-01.jpeg

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,208 of 1,891
Just got my Burson Op-Amps and I am super impressed! Wow, what a difference a pair of tiny metal cubes can make. Make sure you get them direct from Burson, spend the $78 and be happy for the opportunity.

I've said it before, but the Aroma stack is the real deal, stellar. I have a pair of OPA1612 coming for the input stage, just to try. Thanks to @efftee for the great recommendations, my all things amp "Yoda" :) :wink:

20220902_151659-01.jpeg20220902_101133-01.jpeg
those are the v5i right? Still waiting on mine :frowning2:

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,209 of 1,891
Sep 2, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,210 of 1,891
Yeah they are. I got mine in 4 days from Australia to EU.
do you change them in pairs or quads? I was under the impression to change all 4 at the same time

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #1,212 of 1,891
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #1,213 of 1,891
do you change them in pairs or quads? I was under the impression to change all 4 at the same time
You have to change at least pairs at a time. I did the output stage (which has the greatest audible affect) first just to see. The Burson is amazing but I wouldn't want it on both. Too intense. I have a set of OPA1612 coming and I will experiment with that.

Only limitation is each stage, output and input must have matching pairs. But each stage can be different, ie output with one pair , and input with a different pair.

It's nice to know what each change is doing, if you change all 4 at the same time you'll never know the individual result.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #1,214 of 1,891
Audiophonics in France has a good stock of op-amps (I've tried them all at this stage). Next-day EU delivery in most cases.

You need to change them in pairs.

Very helpful post from @bigbeans here about it.
Thanks for that link, wish I had known about them earlier. Faster shipping and no import taxes.

What did you end up choosing for your A100Tb?

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #1,215 of 1,891
Thanks for that link, wish I had known about them earlier. Faster shipping and no import taxes.

What did you end up choosing for your A100Tb?
No worries. I buy I good bit of stuff from Audiophonics. Just pick UPS as the shipping carrier if you can as the other shipping company they use are not great.

In the output stage, I use a pair of Burr Brown OPA2134. I have tried a lot of others in the output stage but they have either introduced noise or affected the sound in a negative fashion for my tastes so I have stuck with the Burr Browns there.

For the input stage, if I am sitting at my desk I change between Burson V6 Vivid or V6 Classics depending on the IEM I am listening to. You have to use these on risers with the lid open as they will not fit otherwise. It's not very elegant but fine when at a desk. When on the go I use a pair of TI OPA1612.

The Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic produce by far the best sound I have experienced while changing the op-amps. The V6 Vivid suit warmer IEMs and create a lush sound with a large soundstage while the V6 Classic suit more technical IEMs creating a really detailed and clean sound but it is interesting to experiment with both and see how they affect different IEMs.

The Sparko SS3602 also produce a nice sound but they also require risers to fit and while they are better than the OPA1612, they are not better than either Burson V6 to my ears.

Just something to note for anyone trying this, not all op-amps will survive if they are fitted the wrong way around which is simple to do if you don't pay attention to the markings. The Burson op amps have protection built in to prevent any damage being caused by fitting the wrong way but many of the other op-amps will burn out if they're fitted the wrong way around. Just something to be mindful of.

I have tried a handful of other op-amps that were available too but they were either worse or no better than the TI OP1612.

Hope some of that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back