Aroma audio product impressions.
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #1,801 of 1,881
If you could listen to a Peter Wong ‘ s cable, you would understand. 😉
I am hoping for a better explanation. I undestand that we are in "you must see to believe" realm.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #1,802 of 1,881
To rephrase: I see many PW cables used as one of the totl options for IEMs, I am not sure why they are so expensive considering the materials are nothing too special.

So I wonder why are theye priced so high?

I am rather new to higher end IEMs
In cables that exceed $500, the material has no bearing on the cost. What matters is the study behind it, the technology, the difficulty in making it, and everything that is needed to make them... even if it were made of pure silver or any material, no cable could cost 2500 euros (PWAudio First Times ) or over 7000 euros (PWAudio Orpheus Shielded). You wanted to buy a used cable costing 500-600 dollars for the Jewels and for that price I proposed the purchase of a 2500 euro cable (with related features)... that's all. Thinking about the prices, spending 5200 euros for an iem doesn't make much sense either... in the end the internal materials are not that different from those you can find in a PULA PA02 on sale on Aliexpress for 175 euros. Do you think there is more metal in a 500k euro car than in a 20k euro car? ...some things can't be measured by weight...I wish they were...lol

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,803 of 1,881
In cables that exceed $500, the material has no bearing on the cost. What matters is the study behind it, the technology, the difficulty in making it, and everything that is needed to make them... even if it were made of pure silver or any material, no cable could cost 2500 euros (PWAudio First Times ) or over 7000 euros (PWAudio Orpheus Shielded). You wanted to buy a used cable costing 500-600 dollars for the Jewels and for that price I proposed the purchase of a 2500 euro cable (with related features)... that's all. Thinking about the prices, spending 5200 euros for an iem doesn't make much sense either... in the end the internal materials are not that different from those you can find in a PULA PA02 on sale on Aliexpress for 175 euros. Do you think there is more metal in a 500k euro car than in a 20k euro car? ...some things can't be measured by weight...I wish they were...lol
I understand the reasoning, I am still struggle to grasp the concept behind how cables are supposed to work I guess. For over ears (where I do own few nice cables mainly for looks and feel) it was basically the material used and the weave that "maybe" influenced what I am hearing where after years in the hobby I am still not sure which part of it are psychoacoustics and where I really do hear copper bringing more bass to the table and silver more resolving. So I am simply suprised to see so much stronger conensus about "cables matter" it in IEM crowd and people more or less casually paying thousands for cables because of research behind them... while its "bit" difficult to find this research data. I hope you understand my scepticism
I dont want to start do cable matter discussion, just trying to understand what makes PW cables so well regarded in the IEM community.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,804 of 1,881
@Leto Dal
Even if you're new to IEMs you're not completely new to reading your signature... do you really think there are almost 4k euros worth of materials in the N8II? If it goes well there are 300 euros... and I'm exaggerating a lot if you think that all the pieces it's made of are made in China. What you paid for your N8II is the work that goes into making it sound the way it does. This applies above all... obviously...

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,805 of 1,881
@Leto Dal
Even if you're new to IEMs you're not completely new to reading your signature... do you really think there are almost 4k euros worth of materials in the N8II? If it goes well there are 300 euros... and I'm exaggerating a lot if you think that all the pieces it's made of are made in China. What you paid for your N8II is the work that goes into making it sound the way it does. This applies above all... obviously...
Obviously not. But as industrial designer by trade, I can take the device apart, and be excited about the engineering the design and the knowhow. I somewhat understand how the research was done and the device was design. I understand the difficulties during the production and QC. With cables, well I see a cable. Material used, connectors used, the weave and the isolation. But thats basically it, so I wonder whats the special sauce with PW cables and why are people going for them for totl IEMs :)

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #1,806 of 1,881
I understand the reasoning, I am still struggle to grasp the concept behind how cables are supposed to work I guess. For over ears (where I do own few nice cables mainly for looks and feel) it was basically the material used and the weave that "maybe" influenced what I am hearing where after years in the hobby I am still not sure which part of it are psychoacoustics and where I really do hear copper bringing more bass to the table and silver more resolving. So I am simply suprised to see so much stronger conensus about "cables matter" it in IEM crowd and people more or less casually paying thousands for cables because of research behind them... while its "bit" difficult to find this research data. I hope you understand my scepticism
I dont want to start do cable matter discussion, just trying to understand what makes PW cables so well regarded in the IEM community.
To get an idea, just read some reviews around, since I personally don't have the possibility of buying 10 cables for 3k euros to tell you the differences between them. Twister6... for example every time he tests a TOTL iem he tests it with various very expensive cables and I usually read something before buying... not being able to afford to buy everything.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #1,807 of 1,881
I was looking for a somewhat scientific explanation of what sets PW cables apart from the rest and the much cheaper clones. That a person on internet finds something great, only helps me that far :)

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,808 of 1,881
Obviously not. But as industrial designer by trade, I can take the device apart, and be excited about the engineering the design and the knowhow. I somewhat understand how the research was done and the device was design. I understand the difficulties during the production and QC. With cables, well I see a cable. Material used, connectors used, the weave and the isolation. But thats basically it, so I wonder whats the special sauce with PW cables and why are people going for them for totl IEMs :)
In my own small way, however, I can tell you that I purchased the three cables from the Effect Audio Signature series, all in the 8W version and I can tell you in detail what they do to the various IEMs on which I mounted them (UM Mest MKII - IER-1R - Thieaudio Monarch - Hifiman RE2000 - iBasso IT07) and trust me the differences are very evident. Like the tips for example... they are also very crucial when it comes to IEMs.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,809 of 1,881
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #1,810 of 1,881
Decided to perform an agnostic yeet and get my first 1k+ cable, without really expecting that much.

Currently deciding to get either FTs or 1950s. The offer will be valid only today so need to decide fast =)

I really don’t want any more treble energy on Jewel though most recommend to go with FTs for Jewel. 1950s seem like the more analogue mid forward tuning which Jewel might benefit from.

Is there any community consensus which cables pair better with Jewel?

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #1,811 of 1,881
Orpheus to my ears
Kind of to the best in what you are searching for : analogueness, tames highs without loosing details, adds naturalness , cements and grounds better Jewel bass peeformance giving a little bit of extra grip

I had same problems of yours (sensitive to Est drivers brightness , or mids hotness )

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #1,812 of 1,881
Orpheus to my ears
Kind of to the best in what you are searching for : analogueness, tames highs without loosing details, adds naturalness , cements and grounds better Jewel bass peeformance giving a little bit of extra grip

I had same problems of yours (sensitive to Est drivers brightness , or mids hotness )
Orpheus is bit outthere for me financially as well as rationally. Need to break my PW cable agnosticism first, with something simpler =)

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #1,813 of 1,881
I tried other cables but they fall short of Orpheus pairing with Jewel..

Just saying

Maybe Code23.. or Code24, and you are still in time to subscribe to the demo tour likely..

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #1,814 of 1,881
Yeah Orpheus is 3 time the price, I kinda hope it’s better than the other cheaper two, I can get a an art piece of Feliks Envy tube amplifier or full Bravura system for that money hahaa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back