Aroma audio product impressions.
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #1,786 of 1,881
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #1,788 of 1,881
Cross-posting from the Empire Ears thread:

Following a suggestion, I decided to do a Fei Wan and Raven holography test on a slow Saturday afternoon. Playing them off N30 with some tracks that feature many distinct musicians performing in different types of space - Miles Davis "So What", Eric Clapton and Winton Marsalis "Layla" (live), and David Crosby & the Lighthouse Band "Woodstock" (live) - here is what I hear:

Fei Wan has wider, taller, and deeper staging and sense of space by a few hairs. Within that space, I sense musicians in more discreet locations than Raven. Perhaps it is Raven's BCS adding warmth and lower end resonance that is crowding things a bit, making the musicians seem closer together or less three dimensionally distributed than on Fei Wan.

Also Fei Wan is more resolving and has more clear and snappy transients (by a bit), and is more dynamic than Raven when there is more complex interplay of multiple instruments being played. With Fei Wan I hear more of the performance details, such as sax players fingering their keys, cymbals being brushed, more individualized piano key strikes, the raspiness in Eric Clapton's voice, acoustic guitar strings being strummed from clearly different guitars simultaneously. The way this is presented provides a sense of relative distancing and placement of the performers to one another.

If I am understanding what holography means in a listening experience, then I hear that Fei Wan is more holographic than Raven. That said, if I weren't listening to Fei Wan as A/B, I might feel a bit differently about Raven's holographic presentation.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,789 of 1,881
Just got a demo unit of Aroma Jewel and pretty much blown away by the thing on n8ii. Basically a mini Susvara / Bravura without issues with bass and slam. Strongly considering keeping it.

The only issue is the stock calbe. Which is horrible. I feel like it overbrightens the sound and flattens it. What are good budget cable options for Jewel?

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #1,790 of 1,881
Hi !
Without wishing to present myself as an expert, the EA Chiron 8w fits the bill with the Jewel ....
It's not the most economical, but it's very revealing and provides a nice density that admirably respects the Jewel tuning ...

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #1,791 of 1,881
Hi !
Without wishing to present myself as an expert, the EA Chiron 8w fits the bill with the Jewel ....
It's not the most economical, but it's very revealing and provides a nice density that admirably respects the Jewel tuning ...
Tbh I was looking for something around 500-600 usd max as second hand price. Those totl IEM cable prices are wild.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #1,792 of 1,881
Tbh I was looking for something around 500-600 usd max as second hand price. Those totl IEM cable prices are wild.
I use a EA Eros S with my Thunder and it’s a nice pairing. Can’t comment on it with Jewel but it certainly won’t break the bank

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #1,793 of 1,881
I use a EA Eros S with my Thunder and it’s a nice pairing. Can’t comment on it with Jewel but it certainly won’t break the bank
Thanks, thats a great find, reading up on that, sounds great so far.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #1,794 of 1,881
When I bought them Musicteck was offering the PWAudio First Times ($2500) for just $500. I think it's still like that, try and see.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #1,795 of 1,881
When I bought them Musicteck was offering the PWAudio First Times ($2500) for just $500. I think it's still like that, try and see.

I am bit worried first times could be too much bringing up way too much treble, I am not big fan of too much brightness, how is the cable in that regard?

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #1,796 of 1,881
I am bit worried first times could be too much bringing up way too much treble, I am not big fan of too much brightness, how is the cable in that regard?
It's a simple copper cable, so no exaggerated brightness, but just an incredible soundstage and a sound performance rich in detail and balanced.
(simple $2500 copper wire...lol)

h7jewel.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #1,797 of 1,881
It's a simple copper cable, so no exaggerated brightness, but just an incredible soundstage and a sound performance rich in detail and balanced.
(simple $2500 copper wire...lol)

h7jewel.jpg
Where does the price come from with PW cables in the first place. Why not to use a clone?

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,798 of 1,881
Where does the price come from with PW cables in the first place. Why not to use a clone?
Sorry but I didn't understand your question...

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #1,799 of 1,881
Sorry but I didn't understand your question...
To rephrase: I see many PW cables used as one of the totl options for IEMs, I am not sure why they are so expensive considering the materials are nothing too special.

So I wonder why are theye priced so high?

I am rather new to higher end IEMs

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #1,800 of 1,881
To rephrase: I see many PW cables used as one of the totl options for IEMs, I am not sure why they are so expensive considering the materials are nothing too special.

So I wonder why are theye priced so high?

I am rather new to higher end IEMs
If you could listen to a Peter Wong ‘ s cable, you would understand. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

• PuPS
Back