[Aroma Audio] Our new "AIR" Bluetooth DAC Amplifier
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #121 of 130
so you are using the elite as a cabled dac into the air as cabled amp?
Don`t think that is what he meant. He was just replying to my question how the DC Elite compares to the Air.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #122 of 130
so you are using the elite as a cabled dac into the air as cabled amp?
Errr...can you even do that? I didn't know you could. I just use them separately.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #123 of 130
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #124 of 130
By the way, fun fact about the Aroma Air: The actual size is quite a bit smaller than stated on the website!

Size referring to the Aroma website (and many more): 121 x 69 x30 (mm) WRONG!

Actual size: 90 x 60 x 20 (mm)

When I first got the Air in my hand, I was already wondering that it seemed to be smaller than what I expected.
Later I understood that this was because "on paper" (website) the Air is similar in size to the Dethonray SG1, that I have previously owned, even thicker (website says 30 mm)!
But actually it is smaller than the SG1, more similar to the size of a Chord Mojo.

I think I will tell Aroma Audio they made this mistake, because it might prevent people from being interested in it...because size matters quite a lot with a BT device, don`t you think?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #127 of 130
By the way, fun fact about the Aroma Air: The actual size is quite a bit smaller than stated on the website!

Size referring to the Aroma website (and many more): 121 x 69 x30 (mm) WRONG!

Actual size: 90 x 60 x 20 (mm)

When I first got the Air in my hand, I was already wondering that it seemed to be smaller than what I expected.
Later I understood that this was because "on paper" (website) the Air is similar in size to the Dethonray SG1, that I have previously owned, even thicker (website says 30 mm)!
But actually it is smaller than the SG1, more similar to the size of a Chord Mojo.

I think I will tell Aroma Audio they made this mistake, because it might prevent people from being interested in it...because size matters quite a lot with a BT device, don`t you think?
Totally agree! Thank you for coming up with this!

May 3, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #128 of 130
Here we go, these are my first honest impressions, after using and testing the Aroma Air for about 10 days…

Pros:

+ The design and build quality truly is super nice - even a lot nicer than pictures might suggest and than I have expected. It`s actually an all metal and glass build (no usage of plastic at all!), and the device has a great heft to it and feels very premium!

+ The (already included!) case also looks and feels very premium and roundens the edges for pocket use.

+ The form factor is a great compromise, because even though the device is bigger than your average BT device, it`s still perfect to put in one`s pocket. I think this has to do a lot with Aroma`s decision, to make the device a bit thicker and the same time shorter than the competition (the SG1 for example, that definitely can be felt more in the pocket, due to its length). Basically think of the Air as an only slightly bigger Chord Mojo (without Poly!).

+ The Air has an exchangable battery! Yes, it really has an exchangable battery!

+ The exchangable amp section is also a very useful gimmick that I am looking forward to play arround with!

+ I love it has all three (2,5/3,5/4,4) outputs!

+ Most importantly: The sound quality is, at least to my ears, in deed the best of all BT devices I have tried so far (and I have owned quite a lot: MW-600, XB10,
BTR5, BTR7, UP5, XDSD, Go Blu, R2R2000, SG1, M4). To my ears, the sound can be generally described as very balanced and distortion free across the whole frequency spectrum, without pronouncing any part of it more than others. The same time, it seems to have a higher dynamic range and sounds a bit more more impactful and voluminous than it`s smaller brothers and sisters, like the the BTR7, UP5 or M4, for example ( that can sometimes sound slightly thin in some areas, especially when turning up the volume). So the Air somehow manages to present a very tonally correct signature in an exiting way. In comparison to the SG1, maybe one of its biggest competitioners, the Air definitely sounds more accurate and detailed - while the SG1 has an overall warmer tone, that has more bass but also more bass bleed. The only other similar BT devices I am aware of that might match the Air`s sound quality, are the CMA18 or the HM1000 - unfortunately I did not have the chance to test them yet.

Cons:

- I can now confirm the BT range is pretty bad, it really only works perfectly, if you are quite close to the source and don`t touch the device (even moving around in the same room or flipping it to the side can lead to short connection drop outs). This might be a result of the mainly metal build, that I have just praised in terms of haptics.

- In addition, unfortunately, it is also true that the Air for sure has a lot of interferences going on if you keep it too close to your phone. That`s a definitely a no go for what it is supposed to do!

- On high gain, the device hisses with sensitive earphones. It`s not as bad as the Go Blu, for example, but it is clearly audible when there is no music playing.

- By the way, why do I have to take out the amp section, when I just want to use the gain switch?What ?

- Despite what others say, I did not hear the Air to be „many levels above“ other BT Dac Amps. Yes, it sounds a bit better than BTR7 and consorts, in the described way .... but the difference is not huge by any means and diminishing returns is pretty high here....at least imo.

- The battery drains! Even if you don`t use the device, it will step by step empty itself.

- It only charges with lower powered chargers.

- I get the minimalistic approach...still, USB-DAC and function keys as an addition would be nice.

- It can connect to two devices at the same time - but switching between these automatically only works sometimes (?). I don`t know why so many devices struggle with this...(the only BT device that can do that flawlessly is the BTR7 from my experience).

Some final thoughts: Why does the experience with this device remind me so much of the SG1 and R2R2000 Red (that I have owned previously)? All of these devices have in common that they sound exceptional for what they are (all in their own way) and are super charming - but the same time they feel...somehow buggy and beta. Why does it seem so difficult to build a BT device that sounds exceptional and works flawlessly - it seems it`s always either or? Honestly, for more than 600 Euros I find it embarrassing that I cannot use the Air without hassle and true to its purpose (see cons!).
But in the end I always forgive these kind of "extra nerdy" devices, because they sound great and give me the feeling (this is not meant ironically) to own a really cool audio device ! :sweat_smile: For how long....I will see. At this moment I feel I like the Aroma Air even better than I used to like the SG-1 and R2R2000 Red (maybe because the Air is more transparent and less colored sounding than those two) and am not planning to sell it any time soon. Meaning: Despite its cons I very much enjoy it! Still, I will also keep my Muse M4 - as a more flawlessly working and even more portable alternative...with only slightly reduced sound quality relative to the Air.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #129 of 130
Here we go, these are my first honest impressions, after using and testing the Aroma Air for about 10 days…

Pros:

+ The design and build quality truly is super nice - even a lot nicer than pictures might suggest and than I have expected. It`s actually an all metal and glass build (no usage of plastic at all!), and the device has a great heft to it and feels very premium!

+ The (already included!) case also looks and feels very premium and roundens the edges for pocket use.

+ The form factor is a great compromise, because even though the device is bigger than your average BT device, it`s still perfect to put in one`s pocket. I think this has to do
a lot with Aroma`s decision, to make the device a bit shorter and instead thicker than the competition (the SG1 for example, that definitely can be felt more in the pocket,
due to its length). Basically think of the Air as an only slightly bigger Chord Mojo (without Poly!).

+ The Air has an exchangable battery! Yes, it really has an exchangable battery!

+ The exchangable amp section is also a very useful gimmick that I am looking forward to play arround with!

+ I love it has all three (2,5/3,5/4,4) outputs!

+ Most importantly: The sound quality is, at least to my ears, in deed the best of all BT devices I have tried so far (and I have owned quite a lot: MW-600, XB10,
BTR5, BTR7, UP5, XDSD, Go Blu, R2R2000, SG1, M4). To my ears, the sound can be generally described as very balanced across the whole frequency spectrum,
without pronnouncing any part of it more than others. The same time, it seems to have a higher dynamic range and sounds more impactful and voluminous than it`s smaller brothers and sisters, like the the BTR7, UP5 or M4, for example ( that can sometimes sound slightly „tinny“, especially when turning up the volume). In comparison to the SG1, maybe one of the Air`s biggest competitioners, it sounds more acurate and detailed - while the SG1 has an overall warmer tone, that has more bass but also more bass bleed. The only other devices I am aware of that might match the Air`s sound quality, are the CMA18 or the HM1000 - unfortunately I did not have the chance to test them yet.

Cons:

- I can now confirm the BT range is pretty bad, it really only works perfectly, if you are quite close to the source and don`t touch the device (even moving around in the same room or flipping it to the side can lead to short connection drop outs).

- In addition, unfortunately, it is also true that the Air for sure has a lot of interferences going on if you keep it too close to your phone. That`s a definitely a no go for what it is supposed to do!

- On high gain, the device hisses with sensitive earphones. It`s not as bad as the Go Blu, for example, but it is clearly audible when there is no music playing.

- By the way, why do I have to take out the amp section, when I just want to use the gain switch? What?

- Despite what others say, I did not hear the Air to be „many levels above“ other BT Dac Amps. Yes, it sounds a bit better than BTR7 etc in the described way .... but the difference is not huge by any means and diminishing returns is pretty high here....at least imo.

- The battery drains! Even if you don`t use the device, it will step by step empty itself.

- It only charges with lower powered chargers.

Some more thoughts: Why does the experience with this device remind me so much of the SG1 and R2R2000 Red (that I have owned previously)? All of these devices have in common that they sound exceptional for what they are (all in their own way) and are super charming - but the same time they feel...somehow buggy and beta. Why does it seem so difficult to build a BT device that sounds exceptional and works flawlessly - it seems it`s always either or? Honestly, for more than 600 Euros I find it embarrassing that I cannot use the Air without hassle true to its purpose (see cons!).
But in the end I always forgive these kind of devices, because - again - they sound great and maybe also give me the feeling to own a really cool nerdy audio device (this is not meant ironically)! For how long....I will see. At this moment I feel I like the Aroma Air even better than I used to like the SG-1 and R2R2000 Red (maybe because the Air is more transparent sounding than those two) and am not planning to sell it any time soon. Meaning: Despite its cons I very much enjoy it! Still, I will also keep my Muse M4 - as a more flawlessly working and even more portable alternative...and only slight reduction in sound quality.
This is an excellent review and nicely captures the charm (and inconvenience!) of the Air. It's an oddly cool device but it lacks the conveniences that would really make it great. It should shut itself off sooner if nothing is playing. It should have better range and be less susceptible to interference.

All that said, it sounds pretty great for BT. I swapped out the op-ams for Burson v5i and I think it delivers a really nice experience/sound.

May 7, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #130 of 130
Anyone have a recommendation for a usb-c cable for the Air? Lost the one it came with and most of my usb-c cables either don’t charge it for some reason or require me to remove it from the case before the cable will fit for charging. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back