Armature drivers vs....armature drivers?
Oct 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
OK...so I have a pair of Auvio Armature headphones and a pair of Altec Lansing UHP336. Both pairs utilize a single balanced armature driver per phone.

I now have ~$200 for a pair of new buds...but all the ones Im seeing listed or recommended in that price range also only come with one armature per phone...so my question is...between single armature headphones...what is REALLY the big difference? I mean, I know that there are only SO many manufacturers out there despite all the different brands so is there truly a difference between my $30 Auvio's (which sound fantastic!) and ~$150-$200 single armatures head phones? If not...Ill think Ill hold onto my $200...

Oh, Im also new here! Welcome me!
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
....so is there truly a difference between my $30 Auvio's (which sound fantastic!) and ~$150-$200 single armatures head phones? If not...Ill think Ill hold onto my $200...

Oh, Im also new here! Welcome me!
beerchug.gif

Well, first things first, Welcome to head-fi! and sorry about your wallet.

As to the question, yes there is. I own a pair of UE sf.4's I picked up for £17 which utilise a single ba driver. Up until recently I also owned an ety hf5 and the difference between the two is substantial. The sf.4 don't stand up to much scrutiny tbh but the er4s (another single ba) has been at the top of the iem market in many people's ears since their launch about 47 years ago (ok slight exaggeration). You may also argue there isn't a difference between a sennheiser hd201 and an hd800, they both use the same driver type and are from the same company.

Of course it's up to you whether or not it's worth the money (and that's exactly why this place is so expensive)

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 5
for under 200US you can get a dual balanced from Fisher Audio DBA02, have you heard about this one?  It is among my favorite dual drivers out there and price is very reasonable. The only problem with DBA-02 , they are hard to get, due to limited production. YOu can wait a month or two prior they will become available for sale.
Another great BA (single driver) is RE252. It is very highly regarded among audiophiles.
HJE900 is also very  cheap and decent phone sold in USA for under 100 USD.
Sound between 30US earphones and $200 is rather huge. You should get one and tell us what you think
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 5
You asked what the difference is. A lot has to do with the tuning. Not all drivers are tuned to get the same clarity and details out of one that you might get out of another. Shell material may also play a part in the sound. The HJE900s, by the way, are dynamic drivers, not armature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back