Arizona Head-Fi Meet: January 24th, 2015
Jan 2, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #106 of 327
Looking forward to this next meeting and hoping that everyone in the area considers attending the event.. you won't regret it

and my offer still stands for folks in the West Valley who want to hitch a ride..  the more the merrier

Don J

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #107 of 327
I am JIMMY! Finally made an account on here. Not sure what headphones I'll have by the time the meet comes around, but I DO have a shiny new FiiO X3 if anyone's interested. Oh and I have Custom One Pros as well... I need a new DAC man...

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #108 of 327
Does anyone have a head count on who is going, debating on going still. Driving down from Vegas can be dry and dull but if a lot of people go it might be worth the trip.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #109 of 327
I haven't been on head-fi in a while, but I can definitely see myself making this meet. I'll ask for the day off on Tuesday, and will let you know if I'm successful. I missed the last one, and would sure love to come out and see you all!
If I do come, I'll bring just what I have:

PlayStation -> JDS Labs O2 -> Beyerdynamic DT990

I'll bring some CDs, and maybe a bit of vinyl. My record setup is really budget, so I don't think it's worth showing off yet.

Big thanks to Coolzo and Destroysall for everything they've done to make this thing a reality!

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #110 of 327
Getting pretty hyped for this meet! The setup I will be bringing is:

Modi 2 Uber->Bottlehead Crack+Speedball->HD650/DT880 250Ω

I have a friend who's planning on tagging along as well with his setup (the more the merrier!). Can't wait to try out some really high end stuff and just a large selection in general! On a side note, anyone have any idea if there are any stores around here that have any good headphones for demo? I've looked and can't seem to find anything.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #111 of 327
Does anyone have a head count on who is going, debating on going still. Driving down from Vegas can be dry and dull but if a lot of people go it might be worth the trip.

No exact head count, but I'd expect a good bit more than last time, and last time had 15 or so people which was a tad on the smaller side of things. This time there will also be a significant presence from Garage1217, as per funch's recent post. He will be bringing additional gear as well, including a sizable selection of cans! We'd much appreciate your presence at the meet, but I do understand if you don't want to make the trip from Vegas. Hey, make a vacation out of it haha.

Thanks again to all who are planning to attend and most greatly to all who have attended in the past. You are the soul and driving force of these meets!

Tanner and koalapear, I am very interested in the amps you guys are bringing (crack and O2, respectively). I will have my vinyl rig, so bringing records is definitely encouraged and desirable! Also feel free to bring your TT or phono for comparisons etc. I'm only running a Debut Carbon with the stock Ortofon Red, however it is fully upgraded.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #114 of 327
I have a chain saw and sledge hammer. Easy fix.
biggrin.gif

I'm in too. Will bring bottled water as before, as well as $ for Destroysall and Coolzo to help with costs.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #115 of 327
Definitely can't wait till I get to hear the crack. Been wanting to give that thing a trial for a long time time! I'm thinking about picking up another can but not sure what to get.

It's either between the HD700,Akg k712 Pro. Fostex Th500rp

Any suggestions guys? Something in that price range would be great! Open or closed doesn't matter

Thanks,

:evil:

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #116 of 327
Ok, guess funch's got water covered. I was about to bring some, but will also be bringing some $$$ to help cover the meet. Anyone here have any experience with IEMs? I might grab some to replace my M-80s, and if you have anything regarding IEMs, that'd be lovely. I've particularly been eyeing the Shure SE215s/315s and the RHA T10s. Not sure if trying them out would be hygienic, etc. etc. Any facts or opinions are more than enough.
I MAY BE SELLING OR TRADING MY M-80's SO IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING YOU'RE WILLING TO TRADE, bring it in. Keep the stuff (if anything) portable. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #117 of 327
  Ok, guess funch's got water covered. I was about to bring some, but will also be bringing some $$$ to help cover the meet. Anyone here have any experience with IEMs? I might grab some to replace my M-80s, and if you have anything regarding IEMs, that'd be lovely. I've particularly been eyeing the Shure SE215s/315s and the RHA T10s. Not sure if trying them out would be hygienic, etc. etc. Any facts or opinions are more than enough.
I MAY BE SELLING OR TRADING MY M-80's SO IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING YOU'RE WILLING TO TRADE, bring it in. Keep the stuff (if anything) portable. Thanks!

Coming from the M-80s
L3000.gif
, most anything will sound lacking in bass. Based on what I know of the T10s, the variable filters may be a great choice for you, since the lower-end filter (allegedly) has strong, tight bass, and the other filters offer clearer mid-range, or airy treble. The only disadvantage is the price, but seeing as you are already eyeballing it, I assume that isn't much of an issue; plus it's almost like a 3-in-1 headphone. I have not personally tried them, but I have yet to see much criticism of them. I have the Audio-Technica ATH-IM50s (dual dynamic drivers) paired with the Topping NX1 on my iPod 5.5, and they sound beautiful with all types of music. They do not have thumping bass, but it is stronger than average (especially with the included Comply foam tips), and the mid-range is crystal clear; the treble is not as airy as balance-amerature IEMs, but it is still very clean and enjoyable. Assuming I can make the meet, I would be perfectly fine with letting you test them out if you are interested. Overall you may be disappointed with the lack of bass on most IEMs coming from your current cans, but if you find the right ones, you will be completely satisfied.
I should also have the JVC HA-FX1X by that time (just wanted something "fun" to listen to that I could abuse a bit on-the-go, and also just for more bassy music), and possibly the JVC HA-FXC51 (Another pair I could toss around, but for music with less bass/ more treble; no promises I'll have it by then though)
Under the assumption I can attend, I can let anyone really try out my IM50s, HA-FX1Xs, HA-FXC51s, Topping NX1- and I mean I guess my iPod if you're interested in hearing the Classic 5.5 gen. It's not much but it's what I got 
etysmile.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #118 of 327
Crap. Getting back on head-fi and all this audio talk has me wondering how much I can budget for future audio toys (Bigger amp? A secondary pair of cans?), and that's a bad thing because I'm currently staring a car bill in the face.  Darn you all. I can not wait for this meet. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #119 of 327

I've been looking at the T10 myself. Gonna need to get some nicer IEMS in anticipation of long computer sessions away from home (switching to computer science major)... demo'ing IEMs is near impossible, one just has to buy them and try them and return them if possible.

Crap. Getting back on head-fi and all this audio talk has me wondering how much I can budget for future audio toys (Bigger amp? A secondary pair of cans?), and that's a bad thing because I'm currently staring a car bill in the face.  Darn you all. I can not wait for this meet. 

Such is life, the upgraditis is strong with this one :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back