Arizona Head-Fi Meet: January 24th, 2015
Jan 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #121 of 327
Coming from the M-80s:L3000: , most anything will sound lacking in bass. Based on what I know of the T10s, the variable filters may be a great choice for you, since the lower-end filter (allegedly) has strong, tight bass, and the other filters offer clearer mid-range, or airy treble. The only disadvantage is the price, but seeing as you are already eyeballing it, I assume that isn't much of an issue; plus it's almost like a 3-in-1 headphone. I have not personally tried them, but I have yet to see much criticism of them. I have the Audio-Technica ATH-IM50s (dual dynamic drivers) paired with the Topping NX1 on my iPod 5.5, and they sound beautiful with all types of music. They do not have thumping bass, but it is stronger than average (especially with the included Comply foam tips), and the mid-range is crystal clear; the treble is not as airy as balance-amerature IEMs, but it is still very clean and enjoyable. Assuming I can make the meet, I would be perfectly fine with letting you test them out if you are interested. Overall you may be disappointed with the lack of bass on most IEMs coming from your current cans, but if you find the right ones, you will be completely satisfied.
I should also have the JVC HA-FX1X by that time (just wanted something "fun" to listen to that I could abuse a bit on-the-go, and also just for more bassy music), and possibly the JVC HA-FXC51 (Another pair I could toss around, but for music with less bass/ more treble; no promises I'll have it by then though)
Under the assumption I can attend, I can let anyone really try out my IM50s, HA-FX1Xs, HA-FXC51s, Topping NX1- and I mean I guess my iPod if you're interested in hearing the Classic 5.5 gen. It's not much but it's what I got :etysmile:  
For me, bass quantity for some IEMs should be up-to-par, or close to the M-80s, the thing is, I use them a Lot in public, and isolation is only so-so. Because of that, even with the more present bass, I'm not hearing it. So more isolation and less bass (in quantity) is fine. I would prefer if the IEMs could extend as low as possible, as some of the music I listen to can reach below 50Hz, and I really like the low rumble stuff like that gives.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #122 of 327
  I have a chain saw and sledge hammer. Easy fix.
biggrin.gif

I'm in too. Will bring bottled water as before, as well as $ for Destroysall and Coolzo to help with costs.

X2 on the ca$h.

Fellow enthusiasts - although it's not required, Destroysall and Coolzo are accepting donations to help offset costs. Sorry, it is not tax deductible
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #124 of 327
For me, bass quantity for some IEMs should be up-to-par, or close to the M-80s, the thing is, I use them a Lot in public, and isolation is only so-so. Because of that, even with the more present bass, I'm not hearing it. So more isolation and less bass (in quantity) is fine. I would prefer if the IEMs could extend as low as possible, as some of the music I listen to can reach below 50Hz, and I really like the low rumble stuff like that gives.

You should really try the IM50s, they have a range from 5-25000Hz. I can hear literally everything in my music with these, and for the rumble stuff, could you link me to a youtube song or something so I can tell you how it is on something you can compare to? And the isolation is better than any other I've tried, I can't hear people talking to me with them in even when I'm not listening to anything.
http://www.audio-technica.com.sg/products/headphones/lifestyle/street-monitoring/ath-im50 (here is this btw)

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #125 of 327
I am considering bringing my tube tester. It was calibrated a couple years ago and has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I hope we could conjure up a way to compare readings with Garage1217's tester. Does anyone know what tester Jeremy is bringing?

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #126 of 327
Hi -

I live in Maricopa.  Just got a Woo Audio WA6se... never been to a meeting like this.  What should I expect and do I need to bring my RS1's or my whole set up or can I just show up and listen?

Quote:
Does anyone have a head count on who is going, debating on going still. Driving down from Vegas can be dry and dull but if a lot of people go it might be worth the trip.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #127 of 327

You're not by any means required to do anything, however I must say- I'd love to hear the WA6se, and I'm sure alot of others would too. I have yet to meet anyone with Woo in AZ. The RS1s are gorgeous sounding cans as well.

It's all up to you man, although I would at least bring your headphones for personal reference, if anything. Not trying to make you feel obligated, but damn now you have me interested in that gear of yours :p

You can expect a bunch of cool people ranging from slightly normal to over-the-top-nerdy, lots of gear, conversing with said people about gear and music, more gear, tubes, headphones, gear, CDs records, everything involved in headphone music listening. You'll see a couple turntables perhaps, a wide assortment of DACs, tons of amps and cans, even some vintage receivers.

Anyway sorry haha, I'm pretty excited. So far this meet is shaping up to be quite nice. Looking forward to seeing you there on the 24th!

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #128 of 327

You're not by any means required to do anything, however I must say- I'd love to hear the WA6se, and I'm sure alot of others would too. I have yet to meet anyone with Woo in AZ. The RS1s are gorgeous sounding cans as well.

It's all up to you man, although I would at least bring your headphones for personal reference, if anything. Not trying to make you feel obligated, but damn now you have me interested in that gear of yours :p

You can expect a bunch of cool people ranging from slightly normal to over-the-top-nerdy, lots of gear, conversing with said people about gear and music, more gear, tubes, headphones, gear, CDs records, everything involved in headphone music listening. You'll see a couple turntables perhaps, a wide assortment of DACs, tons of amps and cans, even some vintage receivers.

Anyway sorry haha, I'm pretty excited. So far this meet is shaping up to be quite nice. Looking forward to seeing you there on the 24th!

I have modded WA6 with pseudo dual power supply, black gate "power tank" capacitors, and replaced the coupling caps with v-caps. I really enjoy the sound coupled with EML 274b rectifier and 6SN7 TSRP. Is anyone interested in checking it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back