Are You Watching Soccer World Cup?
Jun 29, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #121 of 148
on a side note, José Luis Chilavert is by FAR the BEST commentator out there. There is nothing quite like hearing him mangle tough names with the excitement of a child when somebody is about to score a goal
for example when Asamoah Gyan of Ghana was in danger of scoring:
"Geean, Geeean, Geeeean, Geeeeeeeaaan, GEEEEEAAAN! GeeeEEEEEEaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!! Un pelotazo enorme de Geean!!!!"

just can't get enough of it. Once in this tournament I chose regular Univision over ABC on HDTV for this very reason.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #123 of 148
no, but i am watching FOOTball (fut etc) along with the other billions
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #124 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
If you want to feel like being right there
at World Cup watch Spanish channels: Univision, Telefutura, ...!
When they score goal it's:
igooooooooooooooooooooool for a long time!
It's incredible!
There's a Brazilian commentator who can scream GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
for more than One minute. I have forgotten for how long!

Adam
580smile.gif

Yes yes, I mean si, si.
Those commentators in spanish are a riot, in a couple of seconds they tell you stats on a player, while they describe in vivid detail the movement of the ball and the acrobatics involved in the move, what the referee had for lunch, and the weather in three major cities, all without skipping a beat.

And you’re right about the Goooooooo….oool, nobody can do that in english except maybe Bruce Dickinson.
cool.gif

Another thing I noticed is that the crowd sounds louder in the spanish channels. Louder fans make the game more exciting for me.

Jun 29, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #125 of 148
Many times I was at 6 a.m. (California time) in a sports bar,
because they had big plasmas and a few people. More people
were coming to the 9 a.m. games and a crowd to lunch (noon) games.
Recently I was going to 8 a.m. and noon games respectively.
However at home I switched to Telefutura while watching
some games. The best game and the most exciting was to me
Argentina vs. Mexico 2:1. I watched it in the morning in a sports
bar on HD plasmas, but it was clearly more fun to RELIVE it again
in the evening with the Spanish commentators!
The excitment and intesity was there! I was right there thanks to the commentators
and the crowd! The difference was like day and night!

Adam
580smile.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #131 of 148
adam- very true. In the LA Times some commentator went off on hispanic people not "assimilating" by not watching the games in English. Yet, they don't understand how boring the American commentators and play by play announcers make this game sound. I'd fall asleep if i'd ever watch a game on ABC or ESPN.

I'm very disappointed in brazil right now... hopefully portugal (who has never won the tournament before) could pull it off (but not likely). I think germany has become the favorite (to the delight of many I know who have money on them).

and yes, Rooney is a little thug!

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #133 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
Start Rejoicing! Only Three More Days!

?

No lie! I was lucky enough to marry a man not really bothered by sports. He'll watch the odd hockey game (just in time to see Finland loose, as he says), and he said he just might watch the soccer final...may as well, as we have to wait around for our new couch on Saturday anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back