Are you using your head amp as a line preamp?
Nov 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CQ DX

New Head-Fier
I'm curious to find out who may be using their headphone amplifiers as a line level preamplifier in addition to using it as a head amp. This, of course, is an added bonus, since many head amps can be used 'double duty' as both.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out my Little Dot MKIII has one set of preamp RCA outs, and am absolutely blown away at how great it sounds driving a solid state amplifier and 2-way studio monitors! My source is a universal CDP (redbook, XRCD, HDCD, SACD). This is my 'office system'.

In fact, I want to purchase another LD MKIII, or perhaps an LD MKIV or IVSE, and find some excellent, highly rated NOS driver tubes, so I can use it in my main 2-channel system driving a McIntosh MC162 and Magnepan MG12/QR's, with a CDP source.

Anyone else try this, and how do you likey?

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Me likey lots.
I just got my MKII this week and am wowed by how well it does as a pre. I am planning on building a nice passive switcher box so I can switch easily between the outs of my Vestax 'tables and mixer, Xonar Essence STX and my Tascam CD 450.
None of my cans nor my A5's have ever sounded so good.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 8
I use my X-CanV8P's Pre out RCA's to go to my Audio-GD Roc.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 8
I just got my ld mkIII a week ago and not only is it a sweet headphone amp I hooked it up to my yamaha rx-v465 and wow did it liven up my stereo. It brought my t250 tsc sub to life not really louder but it gave it a more realistic punch. My right and left speaker sounded better to but now I have to upgrade them to make better use of the amp ( at least thats what I told my wife, ah I'm always looking to upgrade something) anyway I love my ld mkIII

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Only got a MKIII at the moment. I have been trying to contact Justin at headamp for over a week to get a GS-1, so far nothing. Intentions are to use the MKIII both as a pre-amp into the gs-1 and as a normal headphone amp.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm running my Phoenix into a little Parasound Zamp and some Paradigm Titans for when I want to share music with the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back