Are you listening to music while you post?
Apr 25, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #46 of 51
I usually will listen to a CD for the first time while on the computer. Example, I'm currently listening to Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory. Never heard it before. Just ripped it with EAC and encoded into FLAC. Later, perhaps in a day or so when I've reflected on it and my mind is fresh, I'll listen to it in-depth, closing my eyes and just listening.

As for simple styles, when just browsing, usually I just open my Miscellaneous playlist, which is a mishmash of music, most of it fairly 'simple' stuff. Current favorites include Jet, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Shinedown, and the like. Just good stuff to listen to without thinking
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #47 of 51
This one really perplexes me, because I've never been able to combine music with other activities. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me. Either I get lost in what's playing, which is the usual result, or I grow irritated and turn it off. I put together a headphone setup for the office, and it gathers dust. When I work, I work; when I listen, I listen. I don't think I multi-task all that well.
rolleyes.gif

When I listen, what's playing is the sole focus of my attention. Most of my listening is to classical, and I get engrossed in the unfolding of the musical "argument." Distract me, and I want to go back to the beginning of the piece (or movement) and follow the development from beginning to end. Music for me is a pleasure. I try not to alloy my pleasures.

BW

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I am actually shocked as to how many people can listen or I should say try listen to music while doing other things or at least surfing on-line. To me this reduces music to nothing more than background noise. I just love music too much not to give it my full attention.

I remember that on TV one time someone ask Barry White what kind of music he listen to while having sex. His answer was something to the effect that when he makes love, he just makes love, and when he listens to music, he only listens to music.

When I listen to music, the PC is OFF, the TV is OFF and the lights are OFF, it's all about the music and nothing else.

I know other people who have their Ipod on every time you see them, no matter what they are doing.

I can't judge who would be considered the bigger music fan, I think it's the same only different, IMHO.

It also should be noted that at the type of music that I tend to like, tends to always lean toward the complex side which doesn't lead itself to background noise like more simple styles.

I think it's just different types of listening at different times. Sometimes you want a background music, sometimes you want the music to engulf you and take you away somewhere.

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #49 of 51
everything i have is on this desk, so yes, infact...all the time

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
This one really perplexes me, because I've never been able to combine music with other activities. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me. Either I get lost in what's playing, which is the usual result, or I grow irritated and turn it off. I put together a headphone setup for the office, and it gathers dust. When I work, I work; when I listen, I listen. I don't think I multi-task all that well.
rolleyes.gif

When I listen, what's playing is the sole focus of my attention. Most of my listening is to classical, and I get engrossed in the unfolding of the musical "argument." Distract me, and I want to go back to the beginning of the piece (or movement) and follow the development from beginning to end. Music for me is a pleasure. I try not to alloy my pleasures.

BW

Bill, many don't multitask well. A friend of mine wanted to take the microlight license with me a while back, but he just couldn't do one thing with his left hand and another with his right. Not much chance for him to fly
smily_headphones1.gif
It's very common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back