Are you color blind? (56K Warning)
Mar 31, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
I can't see any of them. My colorblindness drives my mom crazy, it's great. "It's silver." "NO IT ISN'T! IT'S TEAL!!!!" "If it was teal it'd look like teal."

same as you here
frown.gif

and its tghe same with real-life tests

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 37
whatsup with that seven in the 97 ?

Unless I am blind I would have to give that an "F" as in "failed" because even though i could see it i had no clue what it was until i looked at the "cheat" sheet.

Other than that a damn cakewalk.

now turn off the lights and do it again
cool.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #18 of 37
I know am not color blind, have been exposed to these tests since very yound at school and never had a problem. In my laptop I have no problem distinguishing these numbers, though the 97 did look originally to me like 87. After reading it should be a 97 I checked again and yes the bottom is not a fully closed loop,so yes it's a 9.

Even not being color blind, I truly can't understand how come the standard for traffic lights still is precisely red and green.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
..Has it always been like this or does it develop over time? If this happened to me suddenly, I'd probably go crazy.

It's been that way as far as I can remember. It's usually subtle things like "I can't see any brown in that tie", usually shades of brown and green get mixed up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
I wouldn't get too excited either way. If there's one thing we know about color constancy on computer displays, it's that there ain't no such thing. A valid color blindness test is much better controlled for saturation, brightness, ambient light, etc

Exactly. I can see colors (all the primary ones anyway) but I think it's just a matter of degree and these factors will affect an individual's perception. I was suprised the effect even made it to the scanned image.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i have a friend who's severely color blind. he used to show up in the most hilariously mismatched outfits. luckily for him, his wife dresses him now

I will not buy a tie unless I get my wife or kids to match it to one of my shirts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
whatsup with that seven in the 97 ?

From the people I showed this to, at least half had an issue with that 7. I don't think they did a good job forming the 7 with the circular blobs (not that I could tell
tongue.gif
)

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
From the people I showed this to, at least half had an issue with that 7. I don't think they did a good job forming the 7 with the circular blobs (not that I could tell
tongue.gif
)

Yes the seven is weird. It's almost split in two pieces, the top horizontal line and a bit going down, then a small space, then the rest of the leg. Pretty ugly 7. They could have crossed the leg with a small horizontal line, instead they actually broke the continuity in the leg with a small gap.

Here I used Photoshop to surround all the little circles belonging to the seven, is that an ugly seven or what:
1582SevenHighlighted.jpg

Mar 31, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
rsaavedra, is that picture from a biology text book? i've seen those same pictures before in my old biology book. are those pictures common?

Don't know, I copied and edited the picture in the first post of this thread
tongue.gif
At school they brought some posters, I don't really remember (this was almost 30 years ago) if they were exactly these ones or with these same numbers, but it was the same kind of image, big circles with colored little circles in them, and some numbers/letters indicated by clusters of little circles colored differently.

Mar 31, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #27 of 37
Yes these images must have been standard for a long time. Just checked a colorful encyclopedia (Salvat Estudiante) that I have had here at home since I'm a kid, the publishing year is 1976 (so I was seven by then), though I probably "finished" it when I was 10. This was one of those encyclopedias you had to buy issue by issue in kiosks, and then bind the volumes after finishing each one, loved to collect those when I was a kid. In this encyclopedia I just looked for "Daltonismo" (Color Blindness in Spanish) and sure enough, they have an example of an image just like these, but with a number 3 in it.

Actually rather interesting this example in the book. Reading the text, it turns out color blind people will see a number in it, but instead of a 3 they would must likely see an 8!!! Double checking the image, I now notice that indeed the left side of the ends of the 3 continue with some specific green color different from the general mix of surrounding greens in the background, actually closing the loops, so in fact forming an eight, only with the left half in green, the right half in red, sort of. Hand't I read that I wouldn't have noticed the eight. Will take a pic and post it.

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #28 of 37
15823or8.jpg

From "Enciclopedia Salvat del Estudiante", Volume 5, page 55.

My translation of the legend:

"4. What do you read in the drawing on the right? If you see a red 3, then your vision is normal. If you see an 8, you are "daltonian" (color blind), because you don't distinguish green from red. This anomaly (daltonism) is inherited; affects men (8%) more frequently than women (0.4%). There are some other anomalies, like tritanopia or blue blindness, characterized by a defect in the perception of blue and yellow."

(Translation mine, photo reproduced without permission -hope doesn't get me in trouble
tongue.gif
)

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #29 of 37
Also had problems with the 7. I managed to distinguish it right away, but looking at it a second time its a lil...wierd, the seven only.
hmmm...
My dad has a friend thats colourblind.

"So Yuri, what color is your new car?"
"Oh, its a GREAT color"
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 37
Funny, I have an easy time seeing the 7 and a harder time seeing the 9. Strange.

Anyway, I imagine it must truly suck being colorblind... and it seems like a pretty large percentage of males are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back