Are you color blind? (56K Warning)
Mar 31, 2005 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
DOTS001.JPG

I can kind of see the 4 in 42 but the rest just isn't there for me. In high school I considered joining the Air Force to get electronics training. I took the physical and in the eye exam I took a similar test and failed it. At that point they told me electronics training was probably out. Later in college during a visit to the eye doctor I asked about color vision. I took a test and got 100%. The test involved arranging a series of colored discs in spectral order. I had no problem with this
blink.gif
Red/Green color blindness is relatively common in men. I have no idea what I have. I know I see some colors differently than most people. I have a hard time reading the bands on resistors. Green traffic lights sometimes look white to me (luckily red and yellow look red and yellow).

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 37
Phew!
rolleyes.gif
, I can see 42, 97 and 5 (although the 97 looked almost like 87).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
I can kind of see the 4 in 42 but the rest just isn't there for me. In high school I considered joining the Air Force to get electronics training. I took the physical and in the eye exam I took a similar test and failed it. At that point they told me electronics training was probably out. Later in college during a visit to the eye doctor I asked about color vision. I took a test and got 100%. The test involved arranging a series of colored discs in spectral order. I had no problem with this Red/Green color blindness is relatively common in men. I have no idea what I have. I know I see some colors differently than most people. I have a hard time reading the bands on resistors. Green traffic lights sometimes look white to me (luckily red and yellow look red and yellow).

Has it always been like this or does it develop over time? If this happened to me suddenly, I'd probably go crazy.

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 37
I wouldn't get too excited either way. If there's one thing we know about color constancy on computer displays, it's that there ain't no such thing. A valid color blindness test is much better controlled for saturation, brightness, ambient light, etc.

Mar 31, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 37
I have no problems with seeong the numbers, what used to drive me nuts was when all those artwork that you're suposed to stare at and see some sort of image within it was all the rage and was available in evey poster store. No matter how hard I try to stare at the artwork, I could never see the image that was susposedly hidden within it.

Mar 31, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 37
yeah it sucks to be color blind. i ranted about it a while ago.

here is a typical situation:

them: "all the passed tests are marked green and all the failed tests are marked red on the spreadsheet."
me: "but i can't see red and green. i'm colorblind."
them: "then what good are you?"

i'm serious. "what good are you?" nowadays i just keep that info to myself. any color-coding i can change i do: to yellow and blue! ignorant insensative bastards!
mad.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I have no problems with seeong the numbers, what used to drive me nuts was when all those artwork that you're suposed to stare at and see some sort of image within it was all the rage and was available in evey poster store. No matter how hard I try to stare at the artwork, I could never see the image that was susposedly hidden within it.

i can see them as-is, but then it might be because my monitor is set up color-wise the way i like it. plus, i never could get a hang of those crappy 3-D art things either.

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 37
i have a friend who's severely color blind. he used to show up in the most hilariously mismatched outfits. luckily for him, his wife dresses him now.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 37
Damn, this is creepy. I just have my eyes checked 2 hours ago. It's the first time for me. When the doctor showed me that color test. I'm having problem w/ the red & green thing.

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 37
I can see %50 of "5".

Ah, the hell with it. I made my living for 5 years doing page design, and the newspaper's chief graphic designer was colorblind, too! (We just didn't tell anyone
cool.gif
)

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
I wouldn't get too excited either way. If there's one thing we know about color constancy on computer displays, it's that there ain't no such thing. A valid color blindness test is much better controlled for saturation, brightness, ambient light, etc.

Im with you i cant distinguish any of them clearly enough to determine what number they are, but i know im not colorblind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back