Are you amped right into the source?
Aug 31, 2001 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

holderlin

New Head-Fier
I have a dumb question. Do you connect your headphone amp directly to the source or do you connect the source to preamp and the headphone amp to the preamp?

If you connect headphone amp directly to source do you find yourself constantly switching interconnects depending on whether you want to hear your source through speakers or headphones?

My cd player has xlr and rca outs. I've tried plugging it simultaneously into my integrated amp and my headphone amp. However, when I unplug one of the pairs of interconnects from the cd player the sound seems to improve so I'm considering running the headphone amp through the integrated amp.

Aug 31, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 12
I have my Creek running out of the tape monitor of my integrated receiver, for some reason I thought it sounded better than directly out of the CD changer too. Of course, the changer is connected to the CD input of the receiver as well. I am expecting delivery of an MG Head in a few days and do not want to keep having to switch IC's, so I am going to try running the MG Head through the output RCAs of the Creek.

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 12
Old habits die hard........I've always assumed the less components in the signal path, the cleaner the signal. Whether this is something that I can hear, I have no idea, because ever since I got my first headphone amp, I always go direct from the source. My RA-1 is hooked directly to my AMC CD8B CDP, my MG Head is hooked directly from the fixed outs of my Sony Changer (there is also a variable out which goes to my Carver Receiver to drive my speakers.) My Creek OBH-11 is hooked directly to a Radio Shack portable CDP. And my JMT-built CHA47 amps are used exclusively with my Panasonic portable CDP. All of these different sources avoids any changing of ICs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 12
I'll take it no other way than direct from the source, baby...
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Wow... I guess I am the recluse...

scsi/ide CDP->scsi/ide ribbon cable->scsi/ide bus->pci bus->ap 2496 sound card->coax cable->MSB Link DAC->(will be) xfeed box

and THEN finally, to the amp.

Sep 1, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 12
http://www.garage-a-records.com/preamp.html

I have the 5 way switcher listed on that page. Its cheap and it works. The RCA jacks are tight on a new unit...I would break em in with a cheap cable at first.

I've compared it with and without in my signal change and its effect was too negliable to me to not use it for convenience sake and not having to swap IC's all the time.

Sep 3, 2001 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
http://www.garage-a-records.com/preamp.html

I have the 5 way switcher listed on that page. Its cheap and it works. The RCA jacks are tight on a new unit...I would break em in with a cheap cable at first.

I've compared it with and without in my signal change and its effect was too negliable to me to not use it for convenience sake and not having to swap IC's all the time.

Thanks,

I might just look into that as well. I'm waiting for Cary to respond to whether they recommend plugging two pairs of ics to separate amps.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back