Are You a Video Games Addict? Need Help? How many hours on average do you play daily?
Jun 12, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 58
Me having come from Diablo 2 LoD, and Wow, i use to play anywhere between 3-5 hours on the days i had uni. And anywhere up to 12+ hours when i had nothing on...it was horrible...fun, but horrible :p

Nowdays i just jump on for 20min to an hour of Counter Strike (which is easy to jump on or off) when i have time. When real life needs to shift for gaming, i think something is wrong :p

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #32 of 58
I voted 1 - 2 hours because of my DS. Whenever I'm on the road, waiting in a long line, taking a short study break, or just before, I break out the DS for some 10 - 15 minute gaming time. I figure that's about 1 - 2 hours throughout the day.

From time to time, I also jump back onto my PS2 (playing Dark Cloud 2 at the moment), but most of the time, since I'm so busy these days, the DS takes up most of my gaming time. Gotta love its pick up and play value!

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #33 of 58
I've been completely out of the gaming thing for years, but every once in a while, I game for a few months for a few hours a day.

6 months ago, it was Counter-Strike: Source for a few months, then back to amp-building
smily_headphones1.gif
, just recently though I REALLY got into Diablo II : LOD online. That game is ridiculously addictive, definitely giving it up again soon to do more productive things.

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play Very little for a 17yo. Woud still kill anyone in the ol' ssb n64!!!

Whoa, I haven't played in a LONG time but I would love to accept that challenge!
very_evil_smiley.gif
That was a seriously good game if you took the time to get good at it.

Oblivion for me a few hours a week. When I was a kid I went on FF and Chrono binges that lasted for months.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 58
Huh. I've been gaming for as long as I can remember. Back on my 286, friends used to come over and we'd play Decathalon. Yes, it was 2 colors (blue and white) and yes, it was just stickmen. But god damn, it was a great game, lol.

As I grew older, my first real online game was Warcraft II (though I played Warcraft I, there was no online play). Then came Starcraft. Wow, Starcraft owned me. I was in High School at the time and during the 4 years, some friends and I would cut school to go home and play (the real sad thing was I live on the Queens/Long Island border and I went to school in the Bronx. Just going to and back from school took hours). When Broodwar hit, oh man, I think I'd average about 200+ cuts a year (if you stayed til 3rd period, you were marked present at school, but cut periods 4-9. But present in school = no absent card mailed to your house. =])

When I got to college, I played Broodwar/Counterstrike. When I started going out with my girlfriend my sophomore year, I basically dropped gaming, playing about an hour a day at most. This is also when I got better grades (started college with a 1.45 and 2.45 GPA my freshman year). When she graduated, WoW came out. It destroyed me. Within the first 3 months the game was out, I had about 32 DAYS logged (that's right, 768 hours). I played hardcore, averaging about 6-12 hours a day, sometimes pulling 20-35 hour sprees.

This lasted until my last semester senior year when I quit WoW alltogether. But game addiction doesn't end that fast, at least not for me. I just replaced WoW with Warcraft III/DoTA. I think I played DoTA for a good 6-10 hours a day, but no crazy sprees. Even after I graduated, I still played alot of DoTA. It wasn't until I got my job that I started to cut down, not because I found it less enjoying, but because if I stayed up too late, I'd be too tired at work, lol. Growing up sucks.

I've known I have a gaming problem for a while now. My girlfriend always told me I did. But I didn't realize it until one night while I was trying to go to sleep, it came to me. I lied alot to my girlfriend to play WoW, lol. I'd tell her I had alot of homework to do over weekends and that I had to go back to school to do it, but instead, I was going back to raid dungeons in WoW with e-friends... That woke me up pretty quick and I quit the game the following day. I'm surprised she's still with me (4+ years and counting, I got my fingers crossed =] ).

Funny thing is, no one complains about how much you play when you pull good grades. My dad used to be on my ass in High School becuase all I did was play games and hang out til the wee hours of the night. I had like, an 84.XX average in HS. But in college, not counting my freshman year, I pulled decent grades while playing WoW hardcore (ranging from 3.4-3.8). What's the harm in playing that many hours when you do fine in school? (I know, some people want a 4.0 and nothing less, I'm not one of those people)

When Starcraft II comes out... I don't know if I'll be able to continue working.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #37 of 58
In all honesty, these articles are utter crap.

They're saying playing games takes away from normal social activity such as socializing and playing sports. What if the kid is socializing online? Sure it's not quite the same thing, but who are they to say what is a normal social activity.

Now, I agree that games shouldn't get in the way of family, friends, and academics, but there's nothing wrong with playing them in your spare time.

I kind of feel like starting up CS again
redface.gif
Haven't played that competitively in 4 years.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #38 of 58
Yeah, that mavav site is ridiculous. They're half saying that if not for violence in video games, there would be no violent tendencies in people. Hell, I'd say there were all those things way before video games came out. What happened to responsible parenting, like not neglecting the kid's interests and actually trying to relate, or is that all just thrown away with the whole "kids these days have no morals and video games are bad examples, now let me go take some anti-depressants, chase it with some whiskey and I'll talk to you about drugs being bad too".

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #39 of 58
I used to play all the time when I was in junior high and high school. I got married, and that was the end of that
biggrin.gif
Most of the franchises I liked either went away (Twisted Metal) or got boring (C&C). The GTA series is still fun to wander around, but the games that are out have been played to death.

Now, I just play about an hour of BF2 a week, blow some stuff up, and do other things.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then came Starcraft. Wow, Starcraft owned me. I was in High School at the time and during the 4 years, some friends and I would cut school to go home and play .....
When Broodwar hit, oh man, I think I'd average about 200+ cuts a year
(if you stayed til 3rd period, you were marked present at school, but cut periods 4-9.
But present in school = no absent card mailed to your house. =])

.... WoW came out. It destroyed me. Within the first 3 months the game was out, I had about 32 DAYS logged (that's right, 768 hours). I played hardcore, averaging about 6-12 hours a day,
sometimes pulling 20-35 hour sprees.

.... I lied alot to my girlfriend to play WoW, lol. I'd tell her I had alot of homework to do over weekends and that I had to go back to school to do it, but instead, I was going back to raid dungeons in WoW with e-friends... That woke me up pretty quick and I quit the game the following day. I'm surprised she's still with me (4+ years and counting, I got my fingers crossed =] ).

When Starcraft II comes out... I don't know if I'll be able to continue working.

Yeah, from your description I can see how people get addicted to Video Games!

blink.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 58
I voted for 3-4 hours on average. I just put together a new gaming rig so I've been making pretty decent use of it. Yesterday I played Supreme Commander for a couple of hours i guess and then later on in the evening played Day of Defeat:Source for at least a good hour or two. After work I like to come home and chill with some good games. A couple of days out of the week I practice with my band or do something constructive in that direction. Plus, its summer so I dont care about putting in some good game time. During the school year I have a lot less time to play casually.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Day of Defeat:Source

I'll see you on "28th Infantry Division" server sometimes during the night time, my nick is tmx. You might want to check it out anyway, its the best realism mod server around. I'm looking for some of the more competitive servers, 'Sunlit' is also one of my favorite.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #43 of 58
I used to play alot more a few years ago, now i only try the 'Big Names' and i am disappointed every time.
I haven't played any games lately, although i'd like to but not much quality games for the PC these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back