Are You a Video Games Addict? Need Help? How many hours on average do you play daily?
Jun 13, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WoW came out. It destroyed me. Within the first 3 months the game was out, I had about 32 DAYS logged (that's right, 768 hours). I played hardcore, averaging about 6-12 hours a day, sometimes pulling 20-35 hour sprees.

I feel ya. I use to play WoW just as much as you did. I stopped playing the game for several months at a time but would come back and be addicted all over again. I would always find something else to spend my time on to replace playing WoW which has lead me to my newest addiction of head-fi.com. I can only keep 1 main addiction at a time.
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #47 of 58
Hehe, they should make "How many hours on average do you browse Head-Fi?"
I bet there are a lot addicted people on that one
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Nobax:
Hehe, they should make "How many hours on average do you browse Head-Fi?"
I bet there are a lot addicted people on that one

I'd vote 1 - 2 hours on that as well.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #49 of 58
Less that one hour per day nowadays, sometimes nil. I've played a lot of games in the past ranging from MMORPGs, FPS, RPG, simulations, sports, arcade, etc... My most recent one has been Runescape. For some reason, my interest in it has somewhat increased in the past few days. Admittedly, it's not as good as Battlefield 2 or C&C3:TW, but RS is still entertaining to play for about half an hour. It's always interesting to see how the RS world has changed.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #50 of 58
I played DotA professionally ( I got a sponsor) and I used to play for about 3 hours a day at least. DotA is a game made in Warcraft 3 for the people who don't know.

I have always been playing games which have something competitive in them. I have never been atracted to MMORPGs. I think that playing a game professionally is something completely different than playing a game just to burn time and even when playing professionally it's still not worth the time you put in to it. I wouldn't say that there is nothing useful you can learn from such a game, but it still won't give you any long term goals.

I quit playing DotA for a little longer than half a year now and I don't regret it one bit. I still chat with some of the people I played with since they've become my friends and some of them are still playing. A few guys even dropped out of school because of this game and that's where it starts to get really bad. If you sacrifice long term goals to achieve a little bit of short term fun you should really think about what you are doing.

I would say that doing something else (pretty much everything) is more worthwile than playing games. Computer games are just a waste of time in the end.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #51 of 58
i voted sporadically... i sometimes go through days/weeks without playing any video games, but then during off-weeks i play a lot more. probably 1-2 hour average most of the "average" weeks. 3-4 hours or (maybe) more during vacations/breaks

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #52 of 58
I voted for "I never play," but this is somewhat incorrect. I should say I never play new games. I still play Genesis or SNES games every couple months with an emulator. For nostalgia's sake, mainly. They are always games I've beaten dozens of times.

I grew up addicted to video games. However, over time, I just grew out of it. Hard to explain why... I guess I just got sick of it.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #53 of 58
I just recently picked up a Nintendo Wii on the FS forums, so I'm at about 1-2 hours a day. Before that, hardly any, excepting, of course, sporadic bursts of Pocket Tanks.
biggrin.gif

I bought the new Zelda game a few days ago, but have yet to start it. I'm sure my play time will increase dramatically once I begin.

To be fair, Wii Sports can easily be more physically demanding than many non-videogame activites. I was incredibly tired and sweaty after an extended period with Boxing just yesterday, and I am in no slight shape, if I do say so myself.
cool.gif
I even enjoyed a game of Wii golf with my father.

Computer games are the devil, however. In my somewhat younger days, I went through both Diablo II and WCIII, and will never go back. It really is addicting. Best not to start.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played DotA professionally
( I got a sponsor) and I used to play for about 3 hours a day at least. ....

A few guys even dropped out of school because of this game and that's where it starts to get really bad. ....

I would say that doing something else (pretty much everything) is more worthwile than playing games. Computer games are just a waste of time in the end.

The Bottom Line:

Computer games are just a waste of time in the end.
blink.gif

P.S.
By the way, what does it mean 'Playing those games professionally'?
Promoting them and being paid for this?
Or perhaps those sites with games need some excellent players so that
the games are rolling?
If there were only players like me on such sites we would not even start,
say, WoW at all!
confused.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #55 of 58
I play a mmorpg.. I play a few hours after dinner, and depending if I have to run errands, go out with friends etc, or other stuf happening it can last 2-3 hours. I wouldn't say its a waste of time but it CAN eat up a lot of time. Since I go to work, I have a busy life and playing a bit helps me unwind at the end of the nite.

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #57 of 58
You might find this iteresting.

Mental disorder

SAN FRANCISCO. An American Medical Association committee recently took steps to classify video game addiction as a mental disorder.

Another article:

You've got to read this!

"My marriage is falling apart because of my husband's addiction to this stupid game," reads another. "I hate knowing that I come in second to a computer game. ...
He has no interest in sex, work, friends, or anything
that involves leaving the computer desk."
blink.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #58 of 58
I play from random periods of length at random times... during summer and winter i play the most... and even then its like 30 minutes here 30 minute there maybe a couple times a day then a 2 hour long session one day and a break a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back