Are You a Graduate, Undergraduate, High School ... Student?
Dec 31, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohh yes, I love Mother Bear's! Unfortunately I'm not old enough to enjoy Nick's to the fullest (only a freshman
frown.gif
) I believe TomH is also from Indiana, I think he is about 1.5 hours south of B-town. Good to see another Hoosier on Head-fi!
icon10.gif

Vicious Tyrant lives in Bloomington, as I recall.

Three more years in Bloomington? Enjoy those. Given my college town, and a few others that I know, I tend to say Bloomington is the best place in Indiana to go to college.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i feel sad that i am unable to participate in this poll, but fortunate that i am able to participate in this thread.

For whatever reason I found this laugh out loud funny at 3 in the morning.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, for many occupations it really is just an indication that you have some intellect and were able to stick with something. You seem smart enough to not need it, even though it will hurt you. Although, obtaining a degree is a worthwhile experience just for broadening your world view alone.

Yeah, I can see that. I work with college students/graduates everyday, and I'm surprised at how "not smart" to put it into better terms they are. I guess book-smart is the best term, but even then, some of them aren't even that. It's like they're robots, that really excell in school, but don't truley understand what they're doing. Nor, do they understand what they're physically doing. They could solve a mathematical equation, yet, not really understand what they're doing, rather, they just do it.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm slackin and don't have a degree yet, lol.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #49 of 51
it's all about what you want to do. If you want to teach in college then you need a PhD, I know people who get their PhD just because they have a passion for teaching in college. If you want to pull other people's wisdom teeth then you need a DDS. The list goes on. In many but not all cases higher degrees do translate into higher wage. However I have known people with PhDs end up selling shirts and shoes and made tons of money, nothing wrong with that either. And I am believer that truly smart is more of a natural born thing. Going to college and getting degrees will not make you smart if you are not already smart, it will make you more knowledgeable on certain things which may later help you to have a great career (and that's what most people care thesedays).

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's all about what you want to do. If you want to teach in college then you need a PhD, I know people who get their PhD just because they have a passion for teaching in college. If you want to pull other people's wisdom teeth then you need a DDS. The list goes on. In many but not all cases higher degrees do translate into higher wage. However I have known people with PhDs end up selling shirts and shoes and made tons of money, nothing wrong with that either. And I am believer that truly smart is more of a natural born thing. Going to college and getting degrees will not make you smart if you are not already smart, it will make you more knowledgeable on certain things which may later help you to have a great career (and that's what most people care thesedays).

I would have to say you are what you've learned, and your behavior is just the reaction to your environment. The degree is just a measurement to indicate that you have the ability to understand the basics of our universe, and how you can recall and apply the information.

It's up to each individual on what and how they want to use their degrees. You can go to college for a degree just to please your parents or impress your girlfriend, but I know that employers and investors want to know if you have any degree. Degrees is one of the measurement they use when they have no idea of your capability or knowledge. When I'm sick, I want to be taken care by one of the person who has achieved the status of a "MD".
wink.gif
In the old days, my mom was my MD... We could not afford to pay for a doctor visit...

I've even heard that one of the exectutive of Microsoft did not even finish a 4-year program.... Guess who ?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back