Are You a Graduate, Undergraduate, High School ... Student?
Dec 30, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AP Chem and Calc FTW!

Actually I might drop Chem because I don't really like it at all anymore and I only understand 4% of it
frown.gif

my friends are all in AP Chem. i just suck at sciences in general. so i laugh at them from all the way down in jazz band (best class ever).

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Undergraduate studying Finance at Indiana University. Fun stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Bloomington, eh? Home of Nick's English Hut and Mother Bear's (though I'm a Cafe Pizzaria man myself). I come from 15-20 minutes down IN-37 from Bloomington. Good to see another member of Team S-C Indiana.

As for me:

College junior studing classical civilizations (mostly social history) and mathematics (algebra) at a small, all-male liberal arts college in Indiana.

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 51
I'm a Junior at UC Davis right now... dunno exactly what I want to do yet. Probably Dentistry or Pharmacy!

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm...post-graduate with two masters degrees and two graduate certificates. Thinking of getting my PhD but don't know why. Why should I get a PhD--is it the mountain thing? I get it because it's there?

Think very carefully before you go for it - I am in the same position , two masters and over 4 years logged on a PhD program and sometimes it feels like it will never end. Of course the January conferences in Hawaii are nice but it can be a huge grind and unless you are totally in love with your subject it can be tough.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senior in college, med school next year

Ditto, ditto.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #40 of 51
Second year at UC Riverside. Electrical Engineering major.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think very carefully before you go for it - I am in the same position , two masters and over 4 years logged on a PhD program and sometimes it feels like it will never end. Of course the January conferences in Hawaii are nice but it can be a huge grind and unless you are totally in love with your subject it can be tough.

Oh come on ;p

Surely it's worth it to be called Dr. ;D

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2 - Don't do it unless it's what you really want to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by axion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh come on ;p

Surely it's worth it to be called Dr. ;D

I prefer Herr Professor Doctor
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bloomington, eh? Home of Nick's English Hut and Mother Bear's (though I'm a Cafe Pizzaria man myself). I come from 15-20 minutes down IN-37 from Bloomington. Good to see another member of Team S-C Indiana.

As for me:

College junior studing classical civilizations (mostly social history) and mathematics (algebra) at a small, all-male liberal arts college in Indiana.

Ohh yes, I love Mother Bear's! Unfortunately I'm not old enough to enjoy Nick's to the fullest (only a freshman
frown.gif
) I believe TomH is also from Indiana, I think he is about 1.5 hours south of B-town. Good to see another Hoosier on Head-fi!
icon10.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #44 of 51
I only have a High School Diploma...crappy enough, that I wasted 3 years in college without attaining a degree as I never TRULEY knew what I wanted. I didn't want to feel locked into a degree and kicking my self in the arse finding out I can't use it other than for it's purpose. Now that I'm 24, I see that a degree is nothing more than crap on paper showing you can finish something while still being fairly adolesent. I should have just gotten a BS degree, (and that doesn't stand for bachelor of science, lol) and just got it over with.

I should quit lollygaggin and finish school. There's a girl I work with that's 21 and has her bachelors....makes me feel stupid. The silver lining is, I'm a Mensa member. Does that really mean anything? No, but it looks good on paper, lol.

I think my main gripe is, that somebody with NO education, other than certifications in a trade can make TONS more than somebody with a degree. Examples? Stock broker.....self explanatory. Real estate agents....again, self explanatory. Anything in the computer design field. Flash designers have an unlimited income base. It's all about how much you wanna work. Welders. Weld for an airline industry, you bank. Electricians can make LARGE bucks, all depending on your experiance and where you landed a job, and majority of the time, you do nothing, and have your apprentices do all the work, then you double check thier work to cover your butt. No college degree, just some crap classes/tests that you passed...makes me think college is a HUGE waste of time.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have a High School Diploma...crappy enough, that I wasted 3 years in college without attaining a degree as I never TRULEY knew what I wanted. I didn't want to feel locked into a degree and kicking my self in the arse finding out I can't use it other than for it's purpose. Now that I'm 24, I see that a degree is nothing more than crap on paper showing you can finish something while still being fairly adolesent. I should have just gotten a BS degree, (and that doesn't stand for bachelor of science, lol) and just got it over with.

I should quit lollygaggin and finish school. There's a girl I work with that's 21 and has her bachelors....makes me feel stupid. The silver lining is, I'm a Mensa member. Does that really mean anything? No, but it looks good on paper, lol.

I think my main gripe is, that somebody with NO education, other than certifications in a trade can make TONS more than somebody with a degree. Examples? Stock broker.....self explanatory. Real estate agents....again, self explanatory. Anything in the computer design field. Flash designers have an unlimited income base. It's all about how much you wanna work. Welders. Weld for an airline industry, you bank. Electricians can make LARGE bucks, all depending on your experiance and where you landed a job, and majority of the time, you do nothing, and have your apprentices do all the work, then you double check thier work to cover your butt. No college degree, just some crap classes/tests that you passed...makes me think college is a HUGE waste of time.

Yeah, for many occupations it really is just an indication that you have some intellect and were able to stick with something. You seem smart enough to not need it, even though it will hurt you. Although, obtaining a degree is a worthwhile experience just for broadening your world view alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back