Are you a console or PC gamer?
Oct 17, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #946 of 969
Thought I'd better get back to you with that Steam Deck & ROG Ally comparison...

I still have the ROG Ally, I sent the Steam Deck back. One of the important things for me was retro emulation, and one of theajot.failings here on the Steam Deck was the d-pad and the layout. The D-pad position is too vertical from your hand, so it's not comfortable to use. Even worse the d-pad doesn't respond to diagonal inputs well at all. It may have just been my model, but I've seen lots of posts online saying the same. Just those things immediately made it a no go for my use.

I always felt the Steam Deck screen was fine. I actually wish the ROG Ally was the lower resolution as it would be a nice performance boost at a resolution that's perfect for handheld gaming. But next to the Ally you start to notice the motion blur due to the lower refresh rate on the Deck. Your game doesn't have to run at a high frame rate to benefit from a high refresh rate. A high refresh rate very much helps to reduce motion blur.

Now on to the good. The Steam Deck sticks are better, they have lovely resistance so they don't feel overly floaty. My refurb deck was £279, which is a steal. The SD card is also useable. The Ally SD slot is a write off, as soon as those temps go up your card is screwed.

If I wanted a device for more modern gaming that relies on thumbsticks, I'd keep the Deck. I want a mix, and the Ally feels much better suited to that task. I slapped a 2tb drive in mine to save having to use the SD slot.

Thanks. That makes sense for keeping the Ally. I agree the dpad on the Deck needs work. Oh yeah, I've read about the SD card issues on the Ally. That's a bummer. I really want a 2TB drive for my deck, but I think I'm done spending money on it for now. I have the 256GB version. An SD card for emulators, another for additional game storage. Not ideal, but it works.

Legion Go reviews should be out in about a week, so I'll be looking out for those.

I've been into retro emulation for years, but find myself playing the same handful of titles.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #948 of 969
LOL now Valve is releasing an OLED version of the Steam Deck. Dang, I should have waited.

Supposedly 90Hz, larger battery, Wi-Fi 6E
There's always something better sound the corner 😁
I'm on PC btw.

Nov 29, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #950 of 969
Started out with consoles back in the day but now I'm playing on PC with mouse and keeb mainly. I still play with switch every now and then but that's about all the console use these days.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #953 of 969
I'm both and neither. I probably like using consoles because in "general" the games work and I don't have to mess with drivers and so forth. Then again, I remember a time before console games had updates, nevermind day 1 updates.

I do like PC games because there is a more to choose from. Way more free games. Although, I mainly play Rocksmith and RS+. I like other games, but I don't play enough to justify the cost for gaming PCs. I like for small footprint PCs such as Minisforum and Intel NUCs. The AMD icpus are pretty good for general use and some decent gaming experiences. The external GPUs are way too expensive.

I did get a Ayeneo 2S. Nice machine. Gaming wise, works great. General PC with multiple OSs, not so much.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #954 of 969
My stance is that while there's so much a pc can offer, the current consoles have enough power to look almost as good as pc games. One has to really look to tell the difference in graphics quality and that was the biggest thing going for pc. These days people have to point out how many more frames per second a pc can display to project some kind of graphics superiority over consoles. To justify choosing a pc over console a lot of money has to be spent, too much money.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #956 of 969
My stance is that while there's so much a pc can offer, the current consoles have enough power to look almost as good as pc games. ... to tell the difference in graphics quality ... people have to point out how many more frames per second a pc can display ... To justify ... spent, too much money.
People use all kinds of justification on how they spend their money; like we need other people's opinions, LOL. The differences between console and PC gets smaller every day. Sure PCs will have more power. Since consoles are such a limited hardware set, the developers are able to be so much efficient with the hardware. PC, require more powerful hardware.

Personally, I like and very interested in cloud gaming. It has it's limits, but it really does take a lot of hardware requirements out the window.

End of the day, it's all about having fun. This is why Nintendo does so well with the less than latest hardware and graphics

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #957 of 969
PC all the way. One big thing is modding. Modding is absolutely amazing with a massive community constantly coming out with new stuff.

I've always been a big fan of the first 3 Thief games. Thief The Dark Project just had its 25th anniversary, the community released a giant 10 mission fan expansion, the source code for the game leaked so with the updated engine the fan missions are bigger then the original game could handle, it adds new features, tons of movies, voice acting. They have been working on it for years and its excellent.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-the-black-parade

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #959 of 969
PC gamer here. I love console as well, but my previous console was an Xbox 360 with probably 1 controller game and 50 kinect games. I'd always exclusively play the controller game, and that got stale fast. Play PC much more now, but I do see the appeal in getting a new PS5 for example. Just don't want to spend the money on a new console, only to be using my PC 90% of the time.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #960 of 969
Linux gamer actually :darthsmile:
I call my PS5 my potatobox. I have a PS5 and a Switch, but my PS5 is pretty much just my simrig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back