Are you a console or PC gamer?
Jun 24, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #916 of 971
PC. The most "recent" console I own (not that I play either, since if I really wanted to play a game for one of them I'd just emulate on PC these days) is the Gameboy Advance or PS2 from god knows how long ago.

Nothing against consoles personally, and if I had a bit extra to spare I'd consider something portable like the Switch but the truth is it wouldn't make sense for me to spend a bunch more to play on console for a variety of reasons:
  1. The vast majority of games I play are PC exclusives, or the PC version has advantages (faster updates, modding, etc).
  2. I prefer keyboard & mouse for almost all games except driving/flying games and platformers - and I play very few of those, and can just use a PS4 controller if I do anyway.
  3. I like to be able to game, pull up the game's wiki, work, chat with friends, browse, make music, write, manage my schedule etc all from the same device - that being my computer.
  4. My PC's hardware is faster than that of the current highest end consoles - although in reality for me this aspect doesn't matter too much since I play so many indie and older games that aren't particularly demanding, it's only a few titles where the extra power really becomes evident.
  5. Even when I want portability, I can just grab my PS4 controller and load up Steamplay on my iPad and play my PC games from bed on a screen on my lap.
I haven't gone through the entire thread but I imagine a lot of it is debating back and forth over which is better - so to turn the tables a little, PC gamers, what's a feature/convenience/game on console you wish was on PC? Console gamers, what's a feature/convenience/game on PC you wish was on your console of choice?

For me I reckon it's Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom that I wish were on PC.

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #917 of 971
The part I like about my PS5 is the simplicity of it, and so seamless. I exit in and out of games easily, and it just works without any tweaking. Exit out of a game, and start another really quickly. Simplicity of it is real nice. On the other hand, with a high-end PC rig, you can get better fidelity, and games do look amazing. Once the patching is all resolved, which takes a while for games that have console counterparts. Advantages of console like PS5 is being able to play their exclusives on release. Last of Us was such an amazing game I experienced very early.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #919 of 971
PC. The most "recent" console I own (not that I play either, since if I really wanted to play a game for one of them I'd just emulate on PC these days) is the Gameboy Advance or PS2 from god knows how long ago.

Nothing against consoles personally, and if I had a bit extra to spare I'd consider something portable like the Switch but the truth is it wouldn't make sense for me to spend a bunch more to play on console for a variety of reasons:
  1. The vast majority of games I play are PC exclusives, or the PC version has advantages (faster updates, modding, etc).
  2. I prefer keyboard & mouse for almost all games except driving/flying games and platformers - and I play very few of those, and can just use a PS4 controller if I do anyway.
  3. I like to be able to game, pull up the game's wiki, work, chat with friends, browse, make music, write, manage my schedule etc all from the same device - that being my computer.
  4. My PC's hardware is faster than that of the current highest end consoles - although in reality for me this aspect doesn't matter too much since I play so many indie and older games that aren't particularly demanding, it's only a few titles where the extra power really becomes evident.
  5. Even when I want portability, I can just grab my PS4 controller and load up Steamplay on my iPad and play my PC games from bed on a screen on my lap.
I haven't gone through the entire thread but I imagine a lot of it is debating back and forth over which is better - so to turn the tables a little, PC gamers, what's a feature/convenience/game on console you wish was on PC? Console gamers, what's a feature/convenience/game on PC you wish was on your console of choice?

For me I reckon it's Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom that I wish were on PC.

agree with point 2. i prefer keyboard and mouse for most games... except the sports and driving sims. i just have more precise control.

ive been a long time PC gamer, (desktop, not a laptop/notebook computer. in sight ) i have recently purchased a PS5 for something different. i dont need portability
or mobile games... never been into those. upgrades are super expensive now for the PC, especially the video cards. my current video card has lasted a good while, 3+ years. the evga gtx 1080ti. i agree, the ps5 is very convenient.. and loading times are very fast, i wont acquire many games for the PS5 but its a nice alternative for me.
my PC does a lot more than just games, so the flexibility of what it can do, ill forever have a desktop..

Jul 26, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #920 of 971
I play on both PC and consoles (Switch and half of Nintendo’s handhelds). I do not believe one is inherently superior than the other, and that it comes down to what you want to prioritize - which have been covered up to this point.

For me, it’s about the tactile feelings. Not just what my hands and fingers feel, but also how I position myself - standing, sitting, laying. As a result, I have genres that I play exclusively on either platform. Most others, I go back and forth.

Genres I play exclusively on PC: first person or third person games that require precise aiming because I suck at using thumb sticks finely. Doom, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, all that only on PC. MMORPGs as well, though I don’t play them these days, because the keyboard lets you map a lot of hot keys.

Genres I play almost exclusively on consoles: 2D games, 3D action games when available on Switch without major issues.

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #921 of 971
I play shooter games for the most part....I prefer the pc easily for this.
definately... i never could use a controller accurately for FPShooters. others it seems can, and they do it brillantly...... unfortunately not me. mouse and keyboard for me

Aug 9, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #922 of 971
Been a PC player in my youth, at some point used both and ever since the release of the Playstation 4 I'm basically a console only player.
Luckily nearly all important games nowadays also receive console releases.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #923 of 971
Primarily PC. I also have a super ultrawide 32:9 monitor, which is epic, so when I play games on console I feel like I'm getting half the screen real estate(because I am, duh).

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #924 of 971
PC player, I find the customization and access level on PC to fit my preferences and it makes it easy to make it work with a lot of things I do on the side.

When I game I tend to do more than one thing and consoles don't give me the freedom to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back