Are you a console or PC gamer?
May 7, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #857 of 968
I play both but I do prefer PC overall. I have a dedicated VR PC, my main gaming PC, and two others as well as a PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, 2DS, Wii U, OLED Switch, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. So yeah I like them all but PC is where my heart is.
That's quite the collection of gaming gear, it's great!! I have left almost everything except my gaming PC, PS3 and PS4pro, and... a PSP OLED that is so incredible for retro gaming and emulation. But pc gaming is something else, a game like Total Warhammer 3 is tailored for pc only, and a game that is in my heart, jagged Alliance 2, would never have existed outside of the pc world:)
PS3 on the other hand, with things like Rock band 3 with its pro mode for drums...

May 26, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #858 of 968
Been a console gamer, recently COD vanguard got me converted as I played both XB and PC version, there was no match in gaming experience between the two. Far superior in PC side.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #862 of 968
My first experiences with games were on PC in the early nineties. Had one myself, mostly for single player games and later CS. But now I enjoy console more, since my main computer is an iMac and I can use Playstation on TV.

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #864 of 968
As a PC tech of ‘many decades’; I just quietly shut the service shop down well after Win10 came to market.. it was too anticonsumer..
Getting banned from the Forza forum for helping people get their PCs to work (on the most intentionally crippled game ever released) (for 245+ years no less)

Microsoft cannot make money in the PC gaming space; they need gamers on consoles (where they get money from licensed peripheral sales/network subscriptions and money for every gaming title sold); their present ’war’ and massive underhanded tactics to ‘keep PC gaming down’, is just ‘not fun anymore…

It was the basic stuff like playing Wonderboy and having screen pans ‘to the left’ be jerky.. or 25 mins to get Forza started, due to ‘optimising my system’ (and then defaulting to a bunch of setting to make it subpar to an XBOX’)..
Collusions in the industry to bury technologies and my twin Vega 64 GB quad channel ram 6core/12 thread 5Ghz beast has sat in the corner for two years plus ‘gathering dust’.
I did sell the Vega 64 (’Vegas) during the height of the video card shortage (for well below market average due to ‘ethics’) even gave away older Nvidia GTX 970 etc..

It was the little things like ‘foistered security updates‘ that were fake/‘unnecessary’ that would cripple my 16megabytes of CPU cache (so my three year old CPU would perform worse than new ‘budget’ models from Intel coming to market)- thats right - the Wintel Consortium is a ‘thing’; they control the market without regulation and can do whatever they want.. and they don’t care about ‘endusers’ (same as Nvidia)- just evil evil tactics every step of the way (optimise stuff to perform worse on the competitors system even if it means making it run ‘poorly’ on your own product)..
It is the worst of consumerism,.. and then Microsoft actively went to all software partners and app developers and asked them to build ‘overlay’ apps.. knowing that this is a sure fire way to interrupt games and make the gaming experience subpar on PC (ensures ‘Xbox gaming- what they need to recoup ten years+ of gaming industry losses)

They realised that the entire PC gaming market was about to leave their control when Vulkan and ‘to the metal‘ APIs were coming to market (Direct X HAS NEVER BEEN A ‘to the metal API’ ie we pay for ridiculous hardware power but can never tap it)- Vulkan and ‘other APIs (specific to AMD and Nvidia) would have allowed gamers to jump ship to Apple/Linux,.. so they incorporated it into the new Direct X (DX12) and then buried all the features that would prove useful to gamers (such as using two different video cards for multicard gaming- even across hardware ecosystems - ie AMD and Nvidia).. the only real feature they lean on is the ‘store all textures as one large texture’ file, and that is only cause it is an easy way to cripple 30% plus performance from graphics rendering.. (they set the Xbox one to 5Gb of graphics RAM allocation and the Xbox One X to 9GB (when consumer cards were 4Gb and 8Gb respectively); in Forza they even took it a step further and actually ‘encrypted‘ the graphics file (larger than any video card had in available RAM (at the time)), the PC had to constantly do math to do ‘decryption’ (one of the biggest CPU math hits).. and then put the decryption pass on the primary CPU core responsible of the games minimum framerate..
meant that PC would sit there using 12-20% of a users total CPU power (one core overloaded and bottlenecking the throughput) and the game would run poorly/‘no better than a console’.
When Turn10 got the dev kits for the Scorpio (/xbox x) they detuned the PC graphics with lower draw distances (equal to what the new ‘super console’ would do) and then fixed the ‘single core game’ to run, again, no better than a Console (potatoe powered or otherwise)

Sure, third parties will keep it honest..
but Microsoft owning the UeFI BIOS means ‘not friendly to dual booting’ (enjoy running windoze), and making DX12 a ‘how its meant to be crippled’ affair - Microsoft NEED gamers on console and hence don’t want PCs to render better than consoles (ever noticed how bad HDR support is on your PC? -that is no accident!)..

They have done this all before- remember when ‘hardware sound died’ (with Vista) cause Xboxs had the nforce chipset… (sure drink the coolaid.. the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) stopped all the old sound cards working.. Daniel K showed us this wasn’t true(he hacked creative drivers in a heartbeat.. ))

microsoft, when they realised they lost this last console round to the Playstation 5, doubled down on a cheap console.. they went to the hardware team with the attitue ‘make it cheap’ at next refresh.. a console purely designed around making the replacement (series S version II) as cheap as possible.. they then came up with the RAM specs etc.. The series S outselss the series X at a rate of 2:1.. and it is obvious from early build testings that the Series S is the platform the internal teams are optimising for..
Which also means that PC games have a new low bar set as the standard..

Now I fully agree that ‘other companies’ bringing games to PC is ‘a great thing’ and will keep things going.
(great that Sony will release games on PC, as it will stymy pc gamers moving to XBOX when they have had enough.. and as someone who lived and breathed those Forza threads when their anticonsumer practices were in full effect- so many gamers did ‘just that’ (I will buy an xbox cause it just works)(in HDR too).
So tactics like altering Direct X inputs that hadn’t been changed in 20 years, would make my steering wheel gear 1 be gear 6 or reverse.. and games released a ‘few years ago’ don’t get patches for when mickeysoft break stuff.. it just remains broken.

The PC is a horrible platform to game on due to ‘anti consumerism’.. savage industry practices.. and M$ need to recoup ten years + of losing money in the games market.
All those buyouts and tactics and money lost WILL NEED TO BE RECOUPED.. and (having serviced PC tech since the eighties), Microsoft only play nice when they are loosing.
If they get a foothold again, they will make that money back (which basically requires moving gamers from PC- the only reason they allow PC gaming in a ‘loose’ sense right now is that they count WinX installs as ‘Xbox consoles’ (so they can mislead developers that they have unit sales)(ahem ‘xbox live contact hours’- the reason I had to reinstall Forza 3 times in a month at one point.. the download time was ‘contact hours’)

They are an evil company and don’t care about ANYONE but the share holders..
PC gaming was great.. until gaming became such big business that microsoft ‘got involved’.
I totally agree on Keyboard and mouse gameplay and RTS and ‘some genres’ of games being VASTLY better on PC (no argument),.. but when I game I don’t want constant hassles..
(like in forza - having to force core 0 off, having to set program affinity to ‘very low’ and ‘all the opposite things a user should need do to make software work’) (the ’games mode’ that made games run worse, and was then forced on, on all software.. hence no games run in ‘full screen mode’ anymore (needed for best performance)

They know how to cripple, and they get away with it..
Pc gaming is paying a lot of money for VERY POWERFUL HARDWARE, and then not getting ‘bugger all’ of the performance.
Console gaming equals an ecosystem that is optimised for (so long as console hardware has long lifetimes and get ‘second wave releases(not in a microsoft ecosystem)), console gaming is fun and enjoyable.. sure ‘costs a little more’ per title and ‘network costs’, but the reliable experience with less cheating/hacking and hardware that just works/works flawlessly/reliably means that on Saturday morning when I get 30 mins of time to game, I don’t lose 25 minutes to rebooting a title to have it work (poorly) (sure this is Microsoft titles only, but then, ‘haven’t they been buying up a lot of developers?)- their titles will be optimised for Series S (version 2), and will perform at 60 fps (not faster) and have ‘artificial limitations’ in the PC space that are not necessary.. (ie it sells better if the console gamers can say “look- it is running PC ultra details”; so you think PC ultra details are going to make use of your nice high end tech…?

PC is good for learning a craft- servicing computers
PCs are good for doing tasks (many of which can be done on a twenty year old PC or a lap friendly/couch friendly tablet)
PCs are dying cause’ “Macroshaft”

I game on console cause I like having fun when gaming, and don’t mind having titles perform in a way that works well on my TV (eg HDR and 60 frames per second); given most peoples 4K TVs don’t render 800 lines of ‘motion resolution’ I am happy with variable resolution technologies pushing for 1440 res (at 60 fps in HDR and NO SCREEN TEARING).

Sure I miss 200 hz gaming (doing since the nineties), sure miss having $500 sound cards for ultimate sound output etc..
But I don’t miss wanting throw my mouse out the window cause of ‘anti end user sentiments to attempt to force me to buy an XBOX’;
friends don’t let friends buy Microsoft (and ‘any competing product to the microsoft product is generally the ‘better product’)
as a PC tech and hardware expert for ‘many decades’ and who has been in game development and ‘understand the industry’; not even a new Bethesda game is going to get me on a PC.. (okay, MAYBE on a PC.. but certainly not an XBOX.. sadly one is the gateway drug to the other(if microsoft can ‘have their way’- history says they will do ANY underhanded tactic until they do)

I know this is a loaded post.. and “I am just the messenger”..
but I believe in ‘educate the end user’ (teach a person to fish)

please be repsectful with your comments (hurting me won’t fix the PC!)

Food for thunk- if Direct X 12 actually did what it was supposed to do, I’d still happily be playing battlefield 1 at 4K HDR in ultra details, sound output from my Xonar STX, sipping a lowly 80watts of power per video card.. and future titles would make great use of my 24 teraflops of power..
And please- I just upgraded my nephews PC last week (a PC I fully built for him) with a new graphics card, and next week will be a friends PC.
This week I am hoping to service a different friends PC sound setup..
I am not incapable of making this stuff work.. (heck I was rebuiling PCs 30 years ago and doing ‘very high end‘ tricks with PC hardware before Windows was an operating system..)

I like PCs/like PC hardware.. and if modern Direct X came to linux or modern games get written for platform agnostic APIs, then ‘call me a PC gamer’;
as an adult with limited time up my sleeve and a love to enjoy time with my family, picking up four Playstation 5 controllers and duking out Spongebob vs Invader Zim (or Returnal or Gran Turismo etc etc- heck console Elden Ring is ‘good enough’.. ) I play ‘games‘ and not systems;; I don’t have times to ‘play hardware troubleshooting‘ on my saturday morning free time.

(remember ‘just a messenger’)

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #866 of 968
PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back