Are you a console or PC gamer?
Mar 7, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #436 of 971
  I just received notification from GOG.com that they are having a sale of up to 90% off.  Just about every title on my wish list is $1.99 CDN.  The Magic Carpet games, Dungeon Keepers, the Wing Commander games, the Populous series, Witcher and on and on it goes.

Another win for the PC.

Yup, spring sale.  Great games on sale.  I bought Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura for a friend, and The Age of Decadence for myself.

Does anyone here play visual novels?

I'm into Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (When They Cry). I first saw the anime, which became my second favorite...but it was originally a visual novel series. I've only watched through some of it on YouTube, since it's one of the types you can't make any decisions in. But it has one of the best plots I've ever seen. The entire thing is apparently hundreds of hours long! They rereleased most of it on PS3 (most of them are on PC, but also on consoles) with full voice acting, new songs, CGs, minigames, functions, etc. Sadly, this version was only released in Japan, and it doesn't even have English subtitles!

I do not, but if you like visual novels then you might really like Planescape: Torment, and maybe some of Telltale's games too.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #437 of 971

Yup, spring sale.  Great games on sale.  I bought Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura for a friend, and The Age of Decadence for myself.

I do not, but if you like visual novels then you might really like Planescape: Torment, and maybe some of Telltale's games too.

never played visual novel or telltale stuff, but I get tempted every time I see the telltale bundle during the steam sale, might pick it up next time

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #439 of 971
  Also, I enjoy listening to music with game sounds muted, which is simpler to do on PC.

Basically how I play games these days.xD

I've only played like that a few times. Listening to DMX's debut album on headphones and a CD player while playing Twisted Metal 2 on PS1 in the late '90s comes to mind.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #440 of 971
^^ The closest I've ever come to gaming like that is lowering the game's music volume all the way and playing something I like more instead.  I do it in Total War: Warhammer battles.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #441 of 971
I'm a PC gamer largely out of convenience. Steam, GameJolt, and Itch.io just make it so easy to pick up games on the fly for not much money, plus I don't need to relocate.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #442 of 971
  I'm a PC gamer largely out of convenience. Steam, GameJolt, and Itch.io just make it so easy to pick up games on the fly for not much money, plus I don't need to relocate.

I like how so many here now are people I (sort of) know.
cool.gif

What do you mean by relocate?

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #443 of 971

I like how so many here now are people I (sort of) know.
cool.gif

What do you mean by relocate?

Like I usually have either my laptop on me or I'm sitting at my desk. To do any console gaming I have to head to the living room, make sure no one's using the TV, and fire it up there. For PC gaming, I can just switch windows for a little while.

I have a dual monitor setup, so usually when I game I can just toss social network stuff in the other one and keep chatting pretty easily while gaming. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #444 of 971
  Like I usually have either my laptop on me or I'm sitting at my desk. To do any console gaming I have to head to the living room, make sure no one's using the TV, and fire it up there. For PC gaming, I can just switch windows for a little while.

I have a dual monitor setup, so usually when I game I can just toss social network stuff in the other one and keep chatting pretty easily while gaming. 

Ah. Well, you could put a TV in any room. I've done that for bedrooms, though living rooms do have a better atmosphere for console gaming. You could also connect a console to a computer monitor.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #445 of 971

Ah. Well, you could put a TV in any room. I've done that for bedrooms, though living rooms do have a better atmosphere for console gaming. You could also connect a console to a computer monitor.

I think consoles are best for TVs since you are sitting pretty far away from them so the decreased resolution and graphics don't really affect you. Once you're on a monitor though, everything is much closer and graphics, textures, resolution, frame rate all start to become more apparent.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #446 of 971
  Does anyone here play visual novels?

I'm into Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (When They Cry). I first saw the anime, which became my second favorite...but it was originally a visual novel series. I've only watched through some of it on YouTube, since it's one of the types you can't make any decisions in. But it has one of the best plots I've ever seen. The entire thing is apparently hundreds of hours long! They rereleased most of it on PS3 (most of them are on PC, but also on consoles) with full voice acting, new songs, CGs, minigames, functions, etc. Sadly, this version was only released in Japan, and it doesn't even have English subtitles!

I never played Higurashi, but I've finished Little Busters, Fate S/N, and G-Senjou no Maou.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #447 of 971
  I think consoles are best for TVs since you are sitting pretty far away from them so the decreased resolution and graphics don't really affect you. Once you're on a monitor though, everything is much closer and graphics, textures, resolution, frame rate all start to become more apparent.

But you can control the distance of any of the screens, as well as which type and size you buy.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #450 of 971

I could, and I've done that in the past, I just admit that consoles, for me, only offer a benefit when it's either games I can't get on PC or I want to play local multiplayer. It's why I'm almost certainly getting a Switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back