Are you a console or PC gamer?
Oct 3, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #241 of 969
  PS1 and N64 emulators actually work perfectly for practically every game.  ePSXe (the best PS1 emulator) can even read your PS1 CDs so nothing illegal there.  Every game I've tried on both worked flawlessly, and you get the benefits of higher resolution, newer input devices (old controllers are yucky), completely customizable controls, etc.  These emulators basically have a built-in gameshark as well.

Yeah, I'm familiar with those. Didn't know they had GameShark (or something similar) built-in, but it's not surprising. Maybe they have features like the GameShark Pro that let you create you own codes!

Do you know if a normal CD drive can read game data on the PS1 discs?

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #242 of 969

Yeah, I'm familiar with those. Didn't know they had GameShark (or something similar) built-in, but it's not surprising. Maybe they have features like the GameShark Pro that let you create you own codes!

Yeah even blu-ray drives seem to work with CDs.  I think I was using a blu-ray drive the last time I was playing PS1 games on my PC.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #244 of 969

Did you confirm that they work with a basic CD drive, though?

No, I only confirmed that PS1's CDs work in modern blu-ray drives, but if they work in that then they should work in anything older.  I wager whatever you have will read PS1 disks.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #245 of 969
  No, I only confirmed that PS1's CDs work in modern blu-ray drives, but if they work in that then they should work in anything older.  I wager whatever you have will read PS1 disks.

Another interesting thing: when I was a kid, I put PS1 discs in CD players, and some of them let you play secret audio tracks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_with_CD_audio_tracks

I'd like to convert the data on a PS1 memory card to digital file format to use it on PCs and newer consoles. I got a memory card from eBay with amazing save files and cheats for Final Fantasy VII that aren't normally possible in the game, such as playing with Aeris (after she dies) and Sephiroth in your party.

If anyone knows of ways to do that, share here! I think I researched it awhile ago, but forgot the details.

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #246 of 969
I started out on the nintendo systems but switched to xbox when online multiplayer really became a thing.  I think Delta Force Black Hawk Down was my first online multiplayer game?  Definitely the first I remember.  Switched to PC gaminga couple years ago and honestly dont think I could go back.  You have so many options compared to consoles.  System specs, gaming controls, websites you buy from etc.  I still use controllers for certain games, like third person adventure games and racing games.  The only reason I would ever switch back would be to play with some old friends I couldnt quite convince to come to the dark side.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #247 of 969
Started off with console but moved to PC for a MMO (Planetside 1 lol) and haven't really gone back. I do still like driving games on console and ARK is pretty fun even if it runs like crap on console.

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #248 of 969
  Started off with console but moved to PC for a MMO (Planetside 1 lol) and haven't really gone back. I do still like driving games on console and ARK is pretty fun even if it runs like crap on console.

ARK runs like crap on any PC too, although it has extensive mod support on PC so that's the main thing you're missing out on.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #249 of 969

Anybody use the PS1 as a cd player? Actually was really surprised by the sound!  Here is a cool pic! 

Here is the original 

Madness I tell you! 
gs1000.gif
 PC audio got nothing on this! 

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #250 of 969

Anybody use the PS1 as a cd player? Actually was really surprised by the sound!  Here is a cool pic! 

Here is the original 

Madness I tell you! 
gs1000.gif

Bro, I've heard about this. And I'm super hyped about it. But the sad thing is, I left my PS1 back home. Haha.

Nice set up though on your PS1. Will that be upgradable? Like putting some tubes?

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #251 of 969

Here is the original 

Madness I tell you! 
gs1000.gif

I used to use the original PS1 as a casual CD player, but only from crappy TV speakers back in the day. I doubt it could compete with a good DAC...and yes, I have read the rumors about it being better than CD players that cost thousands or whatever.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #252 of 969
It's like audio components of back in the day. Stuff just had higher quality internals compared to today, where you have to pay a LOT to get similar quality.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #253 of 969
  Bro, I've heard about this. And I'm super hyped about it. But the sad thing is, I left my PS1 back home. Haha.

Nice set up though on your PS1. Will that be upgradable? Like putting some tubes?

I actually cannot find my PS1 anymore! It must be in some storage box over here... Those pictures are from google! But I wouldn't mind having the one at the top, it looks amazing! Putting tubes in something like that is way outside of my technical expertise but who knows, it might sound pretty damn good. 

Quote:

I used to use the original PS1 as a casual CD player, but only from crappy TV speakers back in the day. I doubt it could compete with a good DAC...and yes, I have read the rumors about it being better than CD players that cost thousands or whatever.

In all honesty my Marantz CD player would rip the Sony apart but the PS1 actually sounds pretty decent. I think lots of people like it because it has a more "analog" sound but I found it was lacking dynamics and resolution. Ultimately, you are right, I doubt it could compete even with something like the JDS ODAC I have connected to my laptop, but as a fun player and project it does really well. 

Quote:
It's like audio components of back in the day. Stuff just had higher quality internals compared to today, where you have to pay a LOT to get similar quality.

That is a good point. I have an obsession with antique stores (especially photography and old electronics) and sometimes you can find real gems that are of superior quality. These days seems like you have to pay premium for those kinds of products and even then you have to double check where it was manufactured. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back