Are you a console or PC gamer?
Sep 28, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #226 of 969
  - EDIT: Speaking of G80 (and G92 and GT200), I've been playing around with these in a nostalgic side build of mine:

Seeing how far they can overclock and testing games/benchmarks from that time period, since back then I only dreamed of owning that stuff.  
redface.gif

Will be using that build it for some Neverwinter Nights 2 LAN games as well.

I am so turned on by those. Reminds me of these:

04c9d0d7_IMG_47361.jpeg

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #227 of 969

I am so turned on by those. Reminds me of these:

04c9d0d7_IMG_47361.jpeg

lol, interesting similarities in shape.  Although my favorite looking graphics card of all time is the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.  Not my photos below:

It uses RGB LEDs so the lighting shown in the bottom picture can be changed to any color really.  Speaking of GTX 1080s, I'll be selling mine and picking up this beauty, since it'll cost a lot less than water cooling mine:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-30TH-ANNIVERSARY.html#hero-overview

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #228 of 969
Which makes the most sense.  1440p is an odd resolution, pixels don't divide evenly into 4k so I can't see that being used.  That, and because 1440p is a fairly demanding resolution.  What's the PS4 Pro's GPU roughly equivalent to?

http://the-witness.net/news/2016/09/were-doing-a-ps4-pro-patch-here-are-the-technical-details/]

We’re doing a PS4 Pro patch! Here are the technical details.
Jonathan Blow September 8, 2016Uncategorized
Now that the PlayStation 4 Pro has been announced, we can tell you that we are working on a PS4 Pro patch for The Witness.

The Witness already runs at a consistent 60fps on the base PlayStation 4, so rather than increasing frame rate, our patch is about visual quality. Please don’t take the specifics mentioned here as absolute promises; things might change by release. But here’s what we are aiming for:

When you start up the game on a PS4 Pro, it will go into one of two modes, depending on the current display device:

* When using PS4 Pro with a 4k display, we will render at 1440p or possibly higher, all while keeping a consistent 60 frames per second. This image will then be upscaled to 4k, and we will draw text, menus, and other UI at native 4k resolution. (This is similar to what happens on the base PS4, where we render the 3D scene at 900p, then upscale to 1080p and draw UI at 1080p). We might be able to achieve resolutions higher than 1440p based on various engineering tradeoffs (for example, if we boost the resolution of the main scene to a greater degree than we boost the resolution of the reflections in water, which tend to be distorted anyway. Also, we’ll evaluate checkerboard rendering — we’re not sure if it’s the right way to go for this game, but we’ll see.) We’ll post again when we finalize these specs.]

As I said, 1440p or more.

For easy to run games, it's not impossible that they'd use a 1440p image and checkerboard upscale that to 2880, then downscale that down to 2160p (4k). Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

There are also some native 4K games. The Last of Us is one game running at NATIVE 4K, no checkerboard upscaling. Considering that the system can do 4K which is more taxing than 1080x2 checkerboard rendering, it's easily believable for them to do the same with 1440x2 at least for games that aren't too demanding.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #229 of 969
lol, interesting similarities in shape.  Although my favorite looking graphics card of all time is the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.  Not my photos below:

It uses RGB LEDs so the lighting shown in the bottom picture can be changed to any color really.  Speaking of GTX 1080s, I'll be selling mine and picking up this beauty, since it'll cost a lot less than water cooling mine:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-30TH-ANNIVERSARY.html#hero-overview

I'm actually considering a built with the EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid inside a Evolv ITX case. However, the caveat is that I'd be using it with a Dark Rock Pro 3 air CPU cooler. I want that cooler, and I don't need/want to watercool my CPU.

Looking into a watercooled GPU because I really wanna build in that case, and that case is known to be horrible on GPU temps for air cooled GPUs. Such is my luck. I'd have easily just bought a 1080 Superclocked/FTW instead.

As for that 30th Anniversary card, I have a feeling it'll creep up close to the Titan X price. Screw that, just save up and get a Titan X if you're already gonna pay $1000.

I think by the time I get around building, the 1080Ti will be out. :frowning2:

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #231 of 969
wRPG first and foremost, followed by (in no particular order) survival horror + psychological or existential horror, stealth, puzzle with a twist (as in it can't just be about the puzzles), Total War's style of RTS.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #232 of 969
PC gamer here, I'm aware this may be considered an incendiary opinion but my take is that Consoles have lost their way over the past decade, they are trying to be too much like Pc's...when they simply don't have the computational and IO flexibility. A lot of stuff is gated by proprietary means on consoles...while such restrictions and limitations simply do not exist on PC.

Favorite Genre?  RPG, Stealth ( I can't wait for Dishonored 2) Space sim (Elite Dangerous pilot here, though when I was young I used to play an unhealthy amount of X-Wing and Tie-Fighter)

I wish some developer would come out with a new star wars flight sim game.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #235 of 969
  Playstation fanboy here. LOL. But I play a little bit on my PC.

Since PS1s are like $15 used now, I might get another one. (Sold off most of my consoles.) Some of the best times of my life were on PS1. lol

What I like about the original (larger) PS1 (as opposed to the smaller revision) is that I could hook up a GameShark Pro to the back and create my own cheat codes by manipulating the game's programming! I achieved things many wouldn't imagine were possible in some games, like making characters fly/float and such.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #236 of 969

Since PS1s are like $15 used now, I might get another one. (Sold off most of my consoles.) Some of the best times of my life were on PS1. lol

What I like about the original (larger) PS1 (as opposed to the smaller revision) is that I could hook up a GameShark Pro to the back and create my own cheat codes by manipulating the game's programming! I achieved things many wouldn't imagine were possible in some games, like making characters fly/float and such.

LOL! I used my gameshark as a CD. I remember I played Monster Rancher 2 (Which is so awesome by the way) and was having a hard time beating it. And used the codes to buff my monsters. After my friends see the stats of my monster, they were like, "Woah! how did you make your monster's ATK all the way to 999?" Haha! Good ol' days. Not like today, you freakin' buy the unlockable contents online by paying! 

Anyhow, my PS1, PS2 and PS3 is still in my possession. Hehe. The only slim version I have is my PS3.

I say you are a good if you programmed those cheats! How old were you then? LOL

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #237 of 969
  LOL! I used my gameshark as a CD. I remember I played Monster Rancher 2 (Which is so awesome by the way) and was having a hard time beating it. And used the codes to buff my monsters. After my friends see the stats of my monster, they were like, "Woah! how did you make your monster's ATK all the way to 999?" Haha! Good ol' days. Not like today, you freakin' buy the unlockable contents online by paying! 

Anyhow, my PS1, PS2 and PS3 is still in my possession. Hehe. The only slim version I have is my PS3.

I say you are a good if you programmed those cheats! How old were you then? LOL

I think the GameShark CDs don't let you program your own cheat codes, though.

Like 10 or 12. haha. Basically how it works is you look at how the code changes every time something in the game changes, and then once you've got the pattern locked down, you manipulate the code a certain way, and then the cheat you created works all the time!

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #238 of 969

I think the GameShark CDs don't let you program your own cheat codes, though.

Like 10 or 12. haha. Basically how it works is you look at how the code changes every time something in the game changes, and then once you've got the pattern locked down, you manipulate the code a certain way, and then the cheat you created works all the time!

What a wise kiddo. lol.

Does your game hang sometimes when you have too much cheats? Or you will know if  your codes are wrong 'cause the game freezes right?

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #240 of 969
PS1 and N64 emulators actually work perfectly for practically every game.  ePSXe (the best PS1 emulator) can even read your PS1 CDs so nothing illegal there.  Every game I've tried on both worked flawlessly, and you get the benefits of higher resolution, newer input devices (old controllers are yucky), completely customizable controls, etc.  These emulators basically have a built-in gameshark as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back